Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 06:16:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessLiving Off Indie Game Development
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Living Off Indie Game Development  (Read 4083 times)
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 08:15:17 AM »

I love Jeff Vogel's games. He's got a great blog too. One of the most insightful I've ever read.

There's no "tricks" to it. Just be honest, be sincere, make good games. They don't have to be perfect. They're not AAA games, just recycled old games with a continuation on story and gameplay. The demos are fun, the games themselves are even more fun.

Personally, I've noticed a very clear correlation between quality software/games and sales. It's funny. I had a product which I didn't advertise.. did a little tweak, didn't announce the update other than changing the screenshots. Sales increased noticeably.

You can 'scrape' sales with ads, advanced marketing, whatever. All marketing does is increase awareness, which will increase anyway if you have good stuff. But I find that quality products always mean more sales. Always.

Oh and I agree with Paul Eres here. Discounts are bad in the long term for indie developers. It's different for a medium sized studio; the sudden boost in income gives you enough to hire a few people and kick the next game out a little faster. If you're going near solo, you'll be relying on long tail sales. Loss leader strategy - it's the leading way to make a loss.

That's why I think social networking is so important.

Uh, no.

Social networking is a bubble. Everyone's rushing towards it. Advertising on Facebook/etc is a poor idea now because everyone's overestimating it and ads are excessively expensive. Facebook's P/E ratio was over 90 in a field where 10 is considered high. Goes to show how overrated it is.

Not that it's 'bad', but you're kinda missing the point of the article. Take it easy, be a bottom feeder, don't bother riding the trends, because it takes a lot of resources you don't have.

Social media will work itself out. People will "share" your games. Spend less time on marketing, more on fixing bugs or improving graphics, and I guarantee that you'll make more money (though if you have a marketing guy, of course make him handle all the social media stuff).
True Valhalla
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 03:23:57 PM »

Advertising on Facebook has always been exceptionally expensive, but I consider it to be one of the best platforms to advertise niche products. Being able to target extremely specific types of people is where its value lies. And that's what you pay for.
Majestic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2012, 03:43:05 PM »

Social media will work itself out. People will "share" your games. Spend less time on marketing, more on fixing bugs or improving graphics, and I guarantee that you'll make more money (though if you have a marketing guy, of course make him handle all the social media stuff).

This is what I've been saying the whole time lol

www.soundcloud.com/majestic8390 - My game music portfolio
For custom game music tailored for your project contact me majestic8390[at]gmail[dot]com
John Hutchinson
Level 0

Code Monkey Go Bananas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2012, 04:48:11 PM »

There's truth to both schools of thought.  You can't market a crap game and a great game that no one knows exists won't get played.  It's important to work on both throughout the entire process.  At least, that's how I see it.

"Code banana. Run in loop. Makes many banana!"
[email protected] | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2012, 05:54:17 PM »

There's truth to both schools of thought.  You can't market a crap game and a great game that no one knows exists won't get played.  It's important to work on both throughout the entire process.  At least, that's how I see it.
this

Ppl won't share a game that they don't know about.

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 07:15:59 PM »

This is what I've been saying the whole time lol

Oh, lol, I thought you were going to say make a big facebook page and twitter, spend $10,000 on buying likes from people, and put up little QR code graffiti everywhere that links to your Facebook. (like every other marketing guy has said, with a little hyperbole added in there)

Followers, friends, likes... just doesn't translate into sales. Sincere sharing does. I know blogs and interviews are great for building hype, if you've got a good product. Heck I used to blog about fairly crappy stuff but people get excited when they can empathize with the game.

I do agree you have to market your game to a level where it does go viral. Hit a few key spots. Like with Spiderweb Software, they've already got a decent brand, so people will go on and talk about them when they've created something new.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 02:29:02 AM »

before 2014, facebook will be dead/dying

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 03:34:45 AM »

before 2014, facebook will be dead/dying
What do you mean by that? FaceBook's IPO is over now and it's been getting worse from a usability standpoint for a while, so in most senses it's already dying. However, 2014 is much too close for it to have become noticeably less influential by then.

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2012, 10:16:29 PM »

Have no doubts that Facebook will go the way of Yahoo, but not anytime soon. It still needs a competent opponent.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2012, 10:48:47 PM »

Followers, friends, likes... just doesn't translate into sales. Sincere sharing does. I know blogs and interviews are great for building hype, if you've got a good product. Heck I used to blog about fairly crappy stuff but people get excited when they can empathize with the game.

it's true that the absolute number of likes or followers doesn't matter but even so nobody can 'share' it if they don't see it first. i think it's a bad idea to launch a game when there is absolutely nobody looking forward to it, building up anticipation is important. if nobody wants to buy your game when it isn't released yet chances are nobody will want to buy your game after it's released either

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic