Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:29:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTwo Brothers IS COMPLETE! available 11/11/2013
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Two Brothers IS COMPLETE! available 11/11/2013  (Read 59120 times)
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2012, 02:48:54 PM »

New trailer is looking nice and think simple cutscenes will be a great addition to the game.

EliminateWho
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2012, 03:38:38 PM »

The art style is REALLY good. I like the drawings better than I like the sprites... you should learn to use better software so you can make more advance graphics that looks closer to your drawings, maybe Blender or something like that.
The story is cool though.
golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2012, 04:36:35 PM »

The art style is REALLY good. I like the drawings better than I like the sprites... you should learn to use better software so you can make more advance graphics that looks closer to your drawings, maybe Blender or something like that.
The story is cool though.
The games visual aesthetic is entire intentional. The game is supposed to remind people of old game boy games... if we did that with 3D graphics, it would a little odd....

Software should not dictate the way something looks, it's the artist who uses the software who does. 
If you like 3D perhaps you can check out my other work on my blog: http://golemshaper.blogspot.com/

Check out Two Brothers on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/AckkStudios
And check out the DevLog here.
EliminateWho
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2012, 06:42:45 PM »

why would anyone want to make a 2D game when they can make 3D art? I just don't get indie developers sometimes... everyone is so friggin' pretentious. But whatever man... it's your game! Goodluck.
Allansona
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2012, 06:44:56 PM »

@EliminateWho, you REALLY hit the issue on the head right there. It is his game and he can create whatever he likes. No one is asking you to play it, or buy it, or even comment on it. Your criticism is offensives and not constructive in anyway.
What are you hoping to accomplish with comments like that?

- Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind. - Johannes Brahms
golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2012, 06:57:25 PM »

why would anyone want to make a 2D game when they can make 3D art? I just don't get indie developers sometimes... everyone is so friggin' pretentious. But whatever man... it's your game! Goodluck.
No pretense required. I started this while working on an exhaustive 3D animation for school. plus now I 3d model for a living...

I've played games long enough to appreciate all sorts of art.
I get that it's not for everyone though.

And to stay in devLog mode, here is a new screenshot:

BattleBeard
Level 6

please touch me

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2012, 07:32:17 PM »

The music isn't matching the game...at all. Should've been 8-bit.
Allansona
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2012, 07:36:20 PM »

I can answer this one. The games score is very much true to the sound of gameboy, but as the game goes on and gets more colorful, the soundtrack expands to offer a greater pallet than just the basic synth sounds. The trailer doesn't really reflect that.

- Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind. - Johannes Brahms
CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »

!

So good - following! Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

BattleBeard
Level 6

please touch me

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2012, 08:53:17 PM »

I can answer this one. The games score is very much true to the sound of gameboy, but as the game goes on and gets more colorful, the soundtrack expands to offer a greater pallet than just the basic synth sounds. The trailer doesn't really reflect that.

Then I love the idea. :D
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2012, 01:16:44 AM »

Might be a good idea to hint at that progression though...
golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2012, 05:52:08 AM »

That's a very good idea. I think our next trailer will reflect that more.  Coffee

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2012, 03:21:11 PM »

A screen grab of a level in development.
The lower-right hand corner shows the level running (notice the filter).

The text that says "fence" cannot be seen in game. It triggers a fence that comes up behind you, locking you off from returning to where you came from.

you must pick a path going East, West or North and stick with it until the end.

unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2012, 03:35:44 PM »

Love the concept of the game, art's looking very nice. One minor critique of something that's a bit more noticeable when looking at the whole map. I'd suggest a bit more tile variety as you have some basic ground tiles, some well rendered objects, but nothing really in between, so the rendered stuff stands out like crazy as if it was just dropped in.

Also, it could be cool if you didn't blow all of your secrets and marketed the game as normal RPG with a unique magic system, and all of the awesome color and glitch stuff could be mistaken for a glitch in the game/universe (basically how real magic would appear to us), as a break in the system rather an a feature of the system. Which is kind of what you're doing, so  Hand Thumbs Up Right

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2012, 03:43:33 PM »

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely consider it. (Also, that image is half the size of how the games world appears, and the ground looks busier from far away)
But as for the not spilling all our secrets... we haven't Wink In fact... I was afraid I wasn't giving enough away. Thanks for comment!

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2012, 03:23:15 PM »

Hey! I know this has been a bit quiet lately, but we've been working hard.
If you guys are interested, please a look at our kick starter http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ackkstudios/two-brothers-0
We're going to start video blogs very soon that I'll be posting in this DevLog!

Since I last updated I've implemented Two Player, and began to rework the item system to allow to various weapons outside of just swords.
Also, I added more combos to the games combat. It used to support four, but not it contains six. My plan is to hide combo items throughout the game to upgrade both of your party members moves. Some of which will only be obtainable via Two Player.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2012, 08:30:39 AM »

I'd love to back you, but I don't have a credit card... maybe you can to what they did with the Wasteland 2 kickstarter, and open a paypal-donation option once you've reached your goal?
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2012, 10:27:41 AM »

As I commented on your kickstarter, you have my support. Good luck guys! I think you'll make it. :D

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2012, 05:03:35 PM »

I saw that! You're advice has been fantastic. Thank you.
We'll be really taking it in to account. We're working hard on putting together a demo to upload for the half way point.

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2012, 07:12:32 AM »

It's been a crazy past few weeks with the opening of the Kickstarter.
The reaction has been very good so far, but it's a lot to keep in control. I try to get at least 7 hours a day of work in on the actual game, but that can be hard when there are other things that need your attention.

However, that doesn't mean I haven't made progress... it just hasn't been as easy as it was. I spent the week perfecting the games “Item World”... so as to what that is... I guess I'll just copy and paste the thing I wrote up for the kickstarter blurb about it (not yet posted)
(For the videos we're creating about each important party member. Wink [we're not really showing all of them]):
:Mark cassidile Plays an important, yet slightly humorous role.
While developing two brothers, it was important to us to address an issue that always arises in video games: How does the hero carry all of those items?
In our game, the answer is simple.
in order to a transport huge amount of items, the player needs a party member with a large bag. One example of this character type is Roy Guarder's close friend Mark Cassidile.
To access items in the game, the player enters an “item world.” this is the inside of marks huge bag that holds all of roy's belongings. However, there are secrets to be found here... so keep an eye out!

Previously the Item World I had created worked, but it didn't look too pretty.  Now it's like a very strange looking interior area with all of Roy's junk thrown everywhere.

Basically, once you jump in the item carriers bag you can quickly gain access to all the items you've collected to equip them... this system has a lot more depth but I'd rather show that than just say it.

I'll post some images or video of that later. In the mean time I'll leave you with an image of the first item carrier type party member you encounter: (Mark)

(How Mark Appears in the game)

(Behind Roy)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic