Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:41:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesI Wanna Be The Guy: Gaiden
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: I Wanna Be The Guy: Gaiden  (Read 24012 times)
e_va
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2012, 02:25:16 AM »

Did you see the developer's response to my criticism?

First off, I don't think I actually call it "8-bit" or even "retro" anywhere. The game is obviously not an attempt to do what games like La-Mulana did. It's a game about games. It's a game about the tropes of games. You say things like "Lastly, never make the player wait (like how you have to wait 20 seconds on the parachute scene) every time you die." as if I haven't heard or know that. That is EXACTLY why it's there. The game's are popular because of the strong psychological warfare aspect and comedic timing. I'm lampshading things like unskippable cutscenes. This is why IWBTG has been used in actual game design classes -- it's hyper aware of what it is and it both teaches you not only what not to do, but how you can also ignore those rules in clever ways as a positive benefit.

I don't bemoan a 1 rating at all. I made a niche game. I know it's not going to click with everyone. It's not for everyone so that's cool. I'm not going to say the non-target audience shouldn't touch or or have opinions or anything because not only is that their right, it's part of the fun.

But don't act like I don't know, because based on the response both games have got in terms of popularity, I clearly know something and do it better than any of the imitators who came after me do it.

before you continue just remember how you responded to criticism of your guardian legend clone
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2012, 02:53:07 AM »

Though you mostly just seems like your butthurt over how popular me and my game are. Smiley

Yeah, I'll admit that I don't understand why these games have been so popular. It's frustrating because they aren't really anything exceptional from a design, art, or compositional stand-point (sorry). I think most of my criticism is directed at the first game, less towards this new one, which offers better presentation but yes, I find this particular genre of games to be un-fun. It's not that I don't like to be challenged! I just don't like it when I have to perform the same task over and over again without any sort of reward.

Lately I've been playing the original Spelunky on PC. This game is a good example of near-perfect design, AND it's extremely challenging. I've invested hours into the game already and I'm constantly wanting to come back for more. I'm sure we could get into all of the reasons that Spelunky works as well as it does, but I'm sure plenty of other thread do. I think the bottom line is that if you mess up in Spelunky it's entirely the player's fault. You failed to look before you leap. Your games, on the other hand, are completely unpredictable. It's like hanging out with somebody who seems cool at first until he sucker-punches you in the gut... again... and again. It's just not fun (for me).

You say that you're appealing to a niche, but I strongly disagree; your view count/downloads reflect quite the opposite. Gameplay footage of your original game has 1.5 million views on Youtube, which is more than the most-viewed videos of Spelunky, Super Meat Boy, and VVVVVV combined. The problem I have with that is that your games appear sloppy, lazy, and gimmicky compared to these other titles, which feature original graphics and themes, while yours uses ripped sprites and tiles and rudimentary gameplay that offers nothing fresh or new besides extreme masochism.

Look, I'm sorry for being such a dick about this and responding to your work so harshly; no doubt you've also worked hard to make these games and you loved what you were doing, which is great. I just disagree with your design philosophy entirely and it saddens me that it works so well. I guess traditional methods of game design are obsolete. I might as well stop developing now, because this era of consumers clearly isn't my demographic.

Upthorn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2012, 03:18:15 AM »

I guess traditional methods of game design are obsolete. I might as well stop developing now, because this era of consumers clearly isn't my demographic.

I had planned not to get involved in this thread, but I cannot bear to let these statements stand.

See, it seems like what you're saying here is that if there are two games, and one game is more popular than the other, than the second game is completely worthless and unloved by all. And that is a total bullshit thing to say. I mean, the Mona Lisa is the most popular piece of art produced thus far, so clearly all of Picasso and Van Gogh's work was a complete waste of time, right? Again, that seems to be what you're saying.

Unless what you're saying is that game design is a waste of your time and effort if your works aren't going to be universally recognized and enjoyed as the unrivaled pinnacle of the craft. In which case, get over yourself. I prefer my prior paragraph's interpretation to a statement of such unfettered narcissism.

But also, a lot of what appeals about IWBTG's ripped sprites and rudimentary gameplay is nostalgia, so "this era of consumers" is the old era of consumers. IWBTG is as popular as it is because it taps into some of the most popular works of traditional game design, and uses them in unexpected ways. IWBTG in no way obsoletes traditional game design, in fact, IWBTG could not exist in the form it took without those traditional works to build from.
Kayin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2012, 03:37:13 AM »

Though you mostly just seems like your butthurt over how popular me and my game are. Smiley

Yeah, I'll admit that I don't understand why these games have been so popular. It's frustrating because they aren't really anything exceptional from a design, art, or compositional stand-point (sorry). I think most of my criticism is directed at the first game, less towards this new one, which offers better presentation but yes, I find this particular genre of games to be un-fun. It's not that I don't like to be challenged! I just don't like it when I have to perform the same task over and over again without any sort of reward.

Yet people do often like doing things over and over, in horrible, brutal ways. Even with modern design aesthetics (Dark Souls)! Some people like harsh learning. Some people spend hours every day trying to juggle. Other spend hours every day trying to hit a base ball. Others do speed runs of Super Metroid under intense, uncompromising standards. Others like more brisk, fun experiences. The spectrum of resistance potential players can enjoy is huge. It's fine if you don't like it -- there are plenty of popular things I don't like. But you should understand it, because it's a real thing. They might be a smaller segment of the population, but the deserve to be served by willing devs all the same and doing so is not inherently "bad design".

Lately I've been playing the original Spelunky on PC. This game is a good example of near-perfect design, AND it's extremely challenging. I've invested hours into the game already and I'm constantly wanting to come back for more. I'm sure we could get into all of the reasons that Spelunky works as well as it does, but I'm sure plenty of other thread do. I think the bottom line is that if you mess up in Spelunky it's entirely the player's fault. You failed to look before you leap. Your games, on the other hand, are completely unpredictable. It's like hanging out with somebody who seems cool at first until he sucker-punches you in the gut... again... and again. It's just not fun (for me).

First, there is no perfect design, nor is something like challenge and difficulty a neat little number line where "Oh, Spelunky hits all the notes just right". For example, I love Spelunky, but it was, FOR ME, just too damn easy and playing it, especially for score, became very tedious or even luck based (you need a lot of stuff going for you to be able to do things like farm diamonds from ghosts). Playing "casually" was just a formality in beating the game for the 100th time.

Now, that's all good and fine. I enjoyed the game a ton. Same for like, Binding of Isaac which I helped playtest and got crazy win/death ratios on. Difficulty means different things to different people and the type of difficulty they enjoy is ALSO different. Heck, with Spelunky, the balance is excellent when just playing to win. "Yeah you only fail because you made a mistake", but when you play the game at a high level, you get fucked over all the time. You play Castlevania and it starts off unfair and near impossible and becomes a very fair game about run optimization. They're thinking the same thing you're thinking about their games about the games you like, because difficulty can't be tuned perfectly for every skill level. Not that IWBTG is fair, but we'll get to that.

Spelunky might have hit a lot of great notes, but so did the Beatles and not everyone likes them. Perhaps Spelunky deserves more credit (in fact, I'd agree with that!), but it can't be everything to everyone.

You say that you're appealing to a niche, but I strongly disagree; your view count/downloads reflect quite the opposite. Gameplay footage of your original game has 1.5 million views on Youtube, which is more than the most-viewed videos of Spelunky, Super Meat Boy, and VVVVVV combined. The problem I have with that is that your games appear sloppy, lazy, and gimmicky compared to these other titles, which feature original graphics and themes, while yours uses ripped sprites and tiles and rudimentary gameplay that offers nothing fresh or new besides extreme masochism.

Okay sure, but keep in mind, not all those views are PLAYS. Some games are better to watch than others. IWBTG has a LOT of downloads and, based on that list, Spelunky is the only game that's free. So that's not a great metric. That said, you're right. Last time I talked about this someone said to me "That's not fair to say. People at my college were talking about how much they liked it". So okay, it's not expressly NICHE, but it's definitely a very particular thing... anyways, I think the foolish thing you're doing is thinking that the game does nothing fresh or new "besides extreme masochism"(one thing the game definitely does NOT originate. We both grew up in the NES era). IWBTG could not exist out of context. It could not be sent back in time. It examines, parodies and lampshades old games. It also does a lot with player psychology. The game gets in peoples heads. It surprises them. You might not find it interest or surprising when you play the game for 5 minutes (which I don't hold against anyone), but the people who DO play it CAN appreciate those elements. The game has a sense of psychology and absurdity that has surprising appeal. That's why many games that came after IWBTG stumbled. All the "IWBT-blank-" fangames or Abobo's Big Adventure (which had 10000000000x more visual polish than IWBTG but no sense of comedic timing) sorta fell flat, but IWBTG remained the king of it's weird little dumb pseudo-genre.

Look, I'm sorry for being such a dick about this and responding to your work so harshly; no doubt you've also worked hard to make these games and you loved what you were doing, which is great. I just disagree with your design philosophy entirely and it saddens me that it works so well. I guess traditional methods of game design are obsolete. I might as well stop developing now, because this era of consumers clearly isn't my demographic.

This is silly. Like Upthorn said, IWBTG appeals to old sentiments, not modern consumerism (Which isn't a real thing anyways, but whatever). Also instead of being so grumpy, bitter and defeatist about it, why don't you LEARN from it? I don't even mean this in an arrogant "I'm awesome" way. You can learn from EVERYTHING. So if a game you think looks like crap is super insanely popular, maybe you should stop and go "Okay, but why?" while not falling into a defeatist mindset. The sense of psychology and player prediction in IWBTG can definitely be used else where. The pacing and comedic timing? Telling jokes through stage design? This doesn't have to be linked to killing the player. That doesn't have to be linked to a hard game (though it probably helps). Heck, you don't even have to use any of it -- just being aware of it gives you more context to learn from other games you experience, increasing your expertise in general!

It's sorta like Chesterton's Fence. Don't take down a Fence until you understand why it was put there to begin with. If you're just going to dismiss something that's popular that doesn't appeal to your ideology, you're just going to lose out.

Also talking like traditional good design is dead is ridiculous and unfounded. People should be happy that weird niche games can achieve crazy popularity along with more focused, polished games. If IWBTG in it's "Hey guys check out my first game" laziness can achieve such popularity, well... that's a sign that there is a lot of potential design space in that direction. That's awesome! IWBTG only worked in it's barely finished state because that segment of the market was unserved.

Heck if I thought IWBTG was the future, I'd give up too, because I wouldn't wanna live in that world either, but fortunately it's a ridiculous idea.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 11:20:40 AM by Kayin » Logged
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2012, 03:57:08 AM »

i'm not going to read all these words. peace.
shig
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2012, 05:03:24 AM »

The biggest challenge of this game is to make it not freeze right at the intro screen.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2012, 06:03:53 AM »

biggest challenge of the game is to make it not freeze right at the fucking intro screen
The biggest challenge of this game is to make it not freeze right at the intro screen.

I'm having deja vu.

shig
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2012, 07:33:54 AM »

How did this just happen? I posted something and then forgot about it completely and couldn't remember even after you quoted it. I had to check it to believe it.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2012, 08:16:28 AM »

somebody should make one of these stupid terrible games but it records your actions when you successfully complete an area and if you complete the whole game the ending is just the recording of the game being completed in a minute and 30 seconds by you to hammer home how little you've accomplished and what a massive dumbass you are

Not long ago I dedicated 3 months of my life to beating a game that can be cleared in 30 minutes. It was a valuable experience and one I would recommend to anybody. It teaches you valuable life lessons like the value of persistence and dedication. I feel proud that I can do the impossible, even though the impossible largely consists of pushing my thumbs against a piece of plastic for an extended period of time.

I like to learn arcade games until I can 1CC them

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2012, 09:54:32 AM »

somebody should make one of these stupid terrible games but it records your actions when you successfully complete an area and if you complete the whole game the ending is just the recording of the game being completed in a minute and 30 seconds by you to hammer home how little you've accomplished and what a massive dumbass you are

Not long ago I dedicated 3 months of my life to beating a game that can be cleared in 30 minutes. It was a valuable experience and one I would recommend to anybody. It teaches you valuable life lessons like the value of persistence and dedication. I feel proud that I can do the impossible, even though the impossible largely consists of pushing my thumbs against a piece of plastic for an extended period of time.

I like to learn arcade games until I can 1CC them

i like girls and red meat. but the world is wide and there are many things under the sun.
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2012, 10:15:10 AM »

Kayin just posted one of the most intelligent things I've ever read on this forum.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2012, 10:22:56 AM »

I think people in this thread are confusing "popular" and "famous"
 Hitler was the most famous guy of the 20th century, not the most popular.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2012, 10:23:23 AM »

This game may be a joke, but if you play it for any longer than a minute or so, the joke is on you.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2012, 10:37:50 AM »

Chris Pavia
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2012, 10:50:41 AM »

Kayin just posted one of the most intelligent things I've ever read on this forum.

Yes, I found it quite insightful as well.
cystem glitch
Level 2

wack

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2012, 10:51:57 AM »

to be able to patiently and earnestly explain these things to a troll, things that should be obvious, to a person whose envy and butthurt is ridiculously apparent, and in such a humble and straight forward manner - 'tis a majestic thing.

You told me, never to limit myself to one style...to use any move that works...TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND!
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2012, 10:56:27 AM »

i'm not going to read all these words. peace.
Joe doesn't read intelligent posts.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Kayin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2012, 11:59:44 AM »

Joe is my #1 Superfan

For real: Reboot. It's a windows font thing. It'll work. Then you'll probably play the game for less time then you spent rebooting. Smiley

Anyways, glad some of you found that big post to be interesting!
shig
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2012, 12:45:43 PM »

I rebooted once and then redownloaded the thing once, but.

I'll try again later I guess.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2012, 12:51:48 PM »

I appreciate your response, Kayin. I get what you're saying and I'm glad that you have deliberate methods behind why you made things the way you did and that you're not just some kid that got lucky with his first Game Maker game. I couldn't really know too much about the games because of the prohibitive challenge. I'm just not that kind of gamer. I do, however, love retro/nostalgia hooks and it's just a shame that I couldn't see them because the game was too difficult.

I remember playing the original IWTBTG several years ago. I remember trying to get further, but something about the experience just wasn't fun. I think it's more suited for people who are rewarded by overcoming challenges step-by-step, but what I missed was having some breathing room to explore and take everything in, maybe find a few treasures. Your games are bearing down on the player every step of the way, and that's simply not for me. Do I think you're a bad designer? Not as much after reading your rebuttal. Do I think you're a bad person? Absolutely not. Are you an asshole for making a game so punishing? Yes. Cheesy

Anyways, I'm sorry if my last transmission ended poorly/defeatist. It was written at 4 AM and I was literally on the verge of passing out, so I just said "Fuck it." and ended it on a sour note. That's about all I have to say, and I hope there are no hard feelings. I still don't like the game, but thanks for giving me a better understanding of the person behind it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic