Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 02:33:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsSmaller regional TIGJams at later dates
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Smaller regional TIGJams at later dates  (Read 5238 times)
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2008, 09:39:17 PM »

So I'd love to be at the TIGJam, but airfare + highly demanding architecture school means this won't be happening  Sad

That said, I think the idea of getting TIGers together for collaboration is great, and I'd love to be a part of that, so I think we should have multiple smaller TIGJams wherever there are some TIGers who'd like one (conceivably, it could even be as few as 5 people, and for a single day instead of a weekend).  I also don't think we should worry about when (even though simultaneous TIGJams would be cool, it just isn't practical).  Being a Canadian who doesn't live in Ontario or Quebec, a TIGJam Canada would probably require airfare too, so I think that's why I'm so in favor of the smaller event idea.

So all of that said, I'd be up for a small TIGJam in Calgary or Edmonton during the summer, or one in Winnipeg during the school year.  And I guess if we got enough people during the summer for one in Vancouver, I'd make the drive out there too.

So, if you'd like a TIGJam in your corner of the world (presumably somewhere that requires no airfare) then use this board to make it happen!  Beer!
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 10:19:12 AM »

OK, this is just pathetic...it's not even letting me delete the topic and spare my dignity  Roll Eyes
Corpus
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 10:20:49 AM »

Here's a post, architekt! If you were to do something in the summer, that would be almost a year after TIGJam, wouldn't it? So it would probably fall under TIGJam 09, if that happens.
PowRTocH
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 11:26:23 AM »

I live pretty close to Calgary and Edmonton, so I may or may not be interested, depending on things.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 04:09:03 PM »

At this point, I think a mod should just delete this thread, and after TIGJam is over, someone can create a new one for latter-date TIGJams.  Wink
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 01:17:08 AM »

Well I live in Melbourne, Australia. If there's anyone in that area who wants a new career as a lampshade to have a TigJam then... TigJam away!

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 06:38:16 PM »

I live in Edmonton, and would love to jam with you during the TIGJam time, if we can set up a place and exact time - even just jamming on the University campus in the SUB (Student Union Building) would be cool, there's tons of couches and tables, a food court, and free Wifi.  I'd just have to check if it's open 24/7.

EDIT: Okay, the SUB is open 7am-midnight Fridays and Saturdays, 7am-11pm on other days.  We wouldn't be able to pull an all-nighter, but it is an option if we don't have a real place to do it.  Considering there'd be so few of us, it might be the only viable option.

Also, it would probably be pretty lame if we had any less than 5 people.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 06:45:50 PM by YMM » Logged

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 07:36:10 PM »

Yeah, five minimum is a must.  That said, if you didn't notice, I'm only in Edmonton during summer and the holidays now, as I'm studying architecture in Winterpeg (for those that don't know, many Canadian cities have cruel second names:  Winnipeg = Winterpeg; Edmonton = Deadmonton; these names are often quite accurate).  So yeah, I won't be in town during TIGJam, which is definitely a downer.  You're right about the location though; I did my qualifying year at the U of A last year, and SUB would be perfect for this kind of thing (I think they may even be 24/7 during part of the school year).

On a different note, I've recently started playing through the Jumper games (didn't want to just skip to 3), and man, you really know how to make a sadistic game  Grin

Good on ya for even having a portfolio of finished games (fun ones at that), I've been working in GM for ages, and all I have to show for it are a bunch of half-finished games (nearly 20 I think) and some good GML skills.  I think I've learned my lesson though, as all my current projects are a lot smaller.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 09:56:57 PM »

I'm in Winnipeg. <3

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 06:05:19 PM »

Yeah, five minimum is a must.  That said, if you didn't notice, I'm only in Edmonton during summer and the holidays now, as I'm studying architecture in Winterpeg (for those that don't know, many Canadian cities have cruel second names:  Winnipeg = Winterpeg; Edmonton = Deadmonton; these names are often quite accurate).  So yeah, I won't be in town during TIGJam, which is definitely a downer.  You're right about the location though; I did my qualifying year at the U of A last year, and SUB would be perfect for this kind of thing (I think they may even be 24/7 during part of the school year).

On a different note, I've recently started playing through the Jumper games (didn't want to just skip to 3), and man, you really know how to make a sadistic game  Grin

Good on ya for even having a portfolio of finished games (fun ones at that), I've been working in GM for ages, and all I have to show for it are a bunch of half-finished games (nearly 20 I think) and some good GML skills.  I think I've learned my lesson though, as all my current projects are a lot smaller.

Darn, I'd love to do a 'Jam.  Ah well, maybe next year.

And thanks for the comments on my games.  Yeah, my earlier games are pretty sadistic.  I feel like my design style has become less hardcore lately, but some would say it hasn't by much Tongue My style is constantly evolving, and recently I'm experimenting with different ways of skewing the difficulty curves based on player skill.  The first Jumper had none of that - the second very little (the gems).  The third is a much more forgiving game for beginners.

About your second paragraph: It definitely is all about keeping your projects short - especially when you're doing donationware (or freeware), it's very tough to keep motivated on huge, ambitious projects.  An Untitled Story took me forever because I lost focus so many times.  I don't think I'd ever attempt anything so massive again - then again if I'm inspired to do it I probably will anyways.  Funny how I can't even take my own advice Lips Sealed

mike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 07:07:41 PM »

Well I live in Melbourne, Australia. If there's anyone in that area who wants a new career as a lampshade to have a TigJam then... TigJam away!
I'm in Melbourne.  Cool
I'm not going to try and organize anything, but I'll show up if anyone else does.
(Even if it's just for a few Beer! )

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 12:50:36 PM »

Haha, yeah, I know what you mean about taking your own advice; I'm definitely guilty of that one myself.  Smiley

My problem now is that I've now started multiple small (and quite unique) projects, and they're all suffering because of it.  At this point I need to just choose them one by one and get them done, though my crazy architecture school workload won't exactly speed things up.  So now I'm just trying to decide which is easiest to jump in-and-out of working on (I think it'll be the hand-drawn shmup).

Well, hopefully we can do some kind of Jam down the road; if we're lucky there will be even more Tigers in Edmonton by then too.  Oh, and so far I'm really liking F(L)ail; pretty big jump in difficulty for Zone 3 though.

Cool that you're in Winnipeg Alec!  I guess I'd assumed you were farther down east, having worked with Derek on Aquaria (and now with Fish on an iPhone game!?!).  Of course, thanks to the internet anyone can collaborate from anywhere, but for whatever reason I guess I just don't think in those terms yet.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic