Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:18:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSushi Snake - Out now for iPhone & iPad!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Sushi Snake - Out now for iPhone & iPad!  (Read 16797 times)
bnhw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2013, 12:01:52 PM »

Looks like this is finally nearing completion! I've submitted a build to The Leftfield Collection at Rezzed so hopefully I'll have a big influx of user testing data to finally tweak the level order and difficulty curve.

Of course, the elephant in the room is still the lack of audio. I've been playing around in Famitracker to varying degrees of success, but we'll see how that goes.

Oh, and there's a new build up.

@bnhw on Twitter
Sushi Snake blog/site/buy
bnhw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2013, 06:37:43 AM »

Working on the level select and I need a way to distinguish between completed and unlocked-but-not-completed levels. Black-on-coloured is currently unlocked and faded-on-coloured is currently locked. The coloured-on-black is the currently-selected level. Any ideas?

@bnhw on Twitter
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2013, 03:22:25 PM »

That's slick.

bnhw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2013, 02:46:05 AM »

That's slick.
Thanks! Each row is a different level "pack", where the levels are designed around a theme or mechanic that gets introduced. When I was just unlocking levels in order, I found that I was having trouble balancing difficulty vs. new mechanics so this allows the player just to play a different level if they get stuck (since packs are unlocked after x levels rather than after the previous pack is complete).

@bnhw on Twitter
bnhw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2013, 06:16:51 AM »

I've added a subtle fade to the edges to indicate that there are more levels to scroll to.

@bnhw on Twitter
bnhw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2013, 06:08:53 AM »

Do you have an iOS device? Are you willing to play a game and provide feedback on stability and playability?

Then Snäk needs you. Follow this link to enrol!

Specifically, I'm looking for:
  • Does the game run well on your device? If not, what happened and on what device?
  • How did the game play? Was it fun? Did you get stuck and frustrated anywhere?
  • Did you understand the interface? Did anything happen that you didn't understand?

@bnhw on Twitter
bnhw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2013, 06:13:24 AM »

I've spent the past few days working up some new menus for a bit more polish and to give the title screen and level select a consistent visual style. It's kinda inspired by the modern style of webpages, where there's a menu for navigation, but it just scrolls throughout the page. A mash up between scrolling and pagination, I guess.

You start off on this screen and you can either flick/drag down to the other pages or use the navigation icons to the left. Both methods always snap to a page, so you only see two background colours during transitions. The icons highlight to show the currently visible page.

Selecting "LEVEL SELECT" scrolls the title screen off to the left, revealing the level select, which is now using the same paging/scrolling system.

Clicking the "back" arrow to the very left scrolls the screen back to the title screen.

@bnhw on Twitter
bnhw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2013, 01:24:30 PM »

I'll be showing off Snäk at GameCity Festival in Nottingham on Friday morning from 10:00 - 13:00.

To prepare, I've been polishing up the keyboard interaction and adding prompts for the Xbox controller (which will be mapped through a joypad -> keyboard application).

@bnhw on Twitter
bnhw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2013, 03:32:52 AM »

Sushi Snake is out now for iPhone and iPad in the iTunes store! Beer!

To celebrate, I'm giving away some codes. Let me know what you think!

39A799WR49Y3
34FARNYEEYYA
LF4PLJKNLAHN
67LLY6T33K6H
A9HLNYL3N4RR

@bnhw on Twitter
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2013, 08:48:14 AM »

Great game and congrats on release. I guess I'll repost my impressions from Toucharcade

So I'm really enjoying this game. You control your snake by swiping (took a bit to figure that out, controls aren't clear at first). The goal is to collect all the pellets in each maze-like level. Like with the regular Snake game, you can't pass through your own body. Pellets of different colors change you to that color and let you pass through other colored blocks (so blue can pass through red and green, but not blue). This mechanic turns Sushi Snake from simple "Snake" game to a colorful and challenging puzzle game as one must figure out the correct path to succeed

I also like the minimalist menu design and gameplay presentation. There are four groups of levels and if each has 12 levels like the first one does, then the game has 68 levels. I think that's a nice amount of content and I'm already get stumped in the first section. The other sections up the complexity of the puzzles by adding multiple snakes; I've only played two of those levels, but it seems that the same colored snakes move simultaneously and you can eat other snakes to take their color. So yeah, that definitely makes the puzzles more intricate and challenging

I don't know if the dev plans to support the game with more levels or new features (I could see a level editor working well here) but from what I've played, Sushi Snake is a fun puzzle game with a good chunk of content and I'd recommend it

This game continues to impress. Haven't made as much as progress as I did last night, mainly because the difficulty definitely ramps up. However I have seen some new mechanics. Once you start dealing with multiple snakes, not only can you devour one to gain its color, different colored snakes essentially act in the same way as blocks. So if your red snake is blocked by a red block, you can lead your blue snake through the block, allowing your red snake to eat through the blue snake's body and continue forward

This is only the second group of levels "Multiples" so I have no idea what awaits in the other levels...but I can't wait to see

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
bnhw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2013, 01:00:11 PM »

Great game and congrats on release. I guess I'll repost my impressions from Toucharcade

So I'm really enjoying this game. You control your snake by swiping (took a bit to figure that out, controls aren't clear at first). The goal is to collect all the pellets in each maze-like level. Like with the regular Snake game, you can't pass through your own body. Pellets of different colors change you to that color and let you pass through other colored blocks (so blue can pass through red and green, but not blue). This mechanic turns Sushi Snake from simple "Snake" game to a colorful and challenging puzzle game as one must figure out the correct path to succeed

I also like the minimalist menu design and gameplay presentation. There are four groups of levels and if each has 12 levels like the first one does, then the game has 68 levels. I think that's a nice amount of content and I'm already get stumped in the first section. The other sections up the complexity of the puzzles by adding multiple snakes; I've only played two of those levels, but it seems that the same colored snakes move simultaneously and you can eat other snakes to take their color. So yeah, that definitely makes the puzzles more intricate and challenging

I don't know if the dev plans to support the game with more levels or new features (I could see a level editor working well here) but from what I've played, Sushi Snake is a fun puzzle game with a good chunk of content and I'd recommend it

This game continues to impress. Haven't made as much as progress as I did last night, mainly because the difficulty definitely ramps up. However I have seen some new mechanics. Once you start dealing with multiple snakes, not only can you devour one to gain its color, different colored snakes essentially act in the same way as blocks. So if your red snake is blocked by a red block, you can lead your blue snake through the block, allowing your red snake to eat through the blue snake's body and continue forward

This is only the second group of levels "Multiples" so I have no idea what awaits in the other levels...but I can't wait to see
Thanks, Christian! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

@bnhw on Twitter
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic