Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 01:06:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessFonts
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Fonts  (Read 853 times)
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« on: July 19, 2012, 06:25:51 AM »

What's a good way to license some fonts I've made?

This is the sort of tentative thing I've come up with but I have no clue what is or is not a reasonable price.

I'm also concerned that I might be coming across as an idiot with no idea what I'm talking about with this, because that is exactly what I am.

Hobbyist license (FREE)

You may:
            Use the font and any derivative works in any work you or your team/company creates.

You may not:
            Sell any work in which the font or any derivative works appear.
            Use the font for the promotion, marketing, publicity, advertisement, or any similar puspose of any work that is being sold.

You must:
            Credit the author of the font in a ReadMe, credits section, or functional equivalent.

Commercial license (- per font)

You may:
            Use the font and any derivative works in one work you or your team/company creates.
            Use the font for the promotion, marketing, publicity, advertisement, or any similar puspose of the same work that the font or any derivative works are in.

You may not:
            Obtain an income in excess of $40,000 (USD) from the selling of the work containing the font or its derivative works.
            Use the font for the promotion, marketing, publicity, advertisement, or any similar puspose of any work that is being sold and is not the one for which the font is licensed.

You must:
            Credit the author of the font in a ReadMe, credits section, or functional equivalent.
            Purchase either the Enterprise or Unlimited license if the income from the selling of the work which the font or any derivative works are in exceeds $40,000.

Enterprise license (- per font)

You may:    
            Use the font and any derivative works in one work you or your team/company creates.
            Obtain an income of no limit from the selling of the work containing the font or its derivative works.

You must:

Unlimited license (- per font)

You may:    
            Use the font and any derivative works in any works you or your team/company creates.
            Obtain an income of no limit from the selling of any work containing the font or its derivative works.
            Use the font without crediting the author.

You may not:
            Specifically claim credit or imply that the credit belongs to you for the font's creation.
cskau
Level 0

:txeT lanosreP

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 07:04:46 AM »

Have you looked at the way other fonts out there are licensed?
Maybe have a look at some of the fonts licensed on both free and commercial sites like Google Web Fonts, Typekit and the likes.

As with breaking into any new area it's probably wiser to start out by simply "copying the masters", than to try and innovate from day one.
There's a very good chance you'll at best be re-inventing the wheel.
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 09:58:55 AM »

Whilst these conditions seem vaguely reasonable in isolation, most font licenses look like your "unlimited" license and already aren't very expensive. Take a look at myfonts.com for some idea of the quality-price-license tradeoffs.

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 10:15:13 AM »

Whilst these conditions seem vaguely reasonable in isolation, most font licenses look like your "unlimited" license and already aren't very expensive. Take a look at myfonts.com for some idea of the quality-price-license tradeoffs.

I think it would be worth clarifying that the fonts I've got are bitmap fonts and made with the intention of being most suitable for use in games. I looked at the licensing things there but it seems that the focus has more to do with people using the font on websites and physical products, and I think that the two situations would probably need to be handled at least slightly differently.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic