Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 01:57:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTitle: "Abandoned" A maze/ exploration game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Title: "Abandoned" A maze/ exploration game  (Read 4680 times)
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: September 01, 2008, 03:08:15 AM »

Abandoned

This game is a explorer/ mazegame.
You play an odd creature engeneered in an old abandoned laboratory. Your goal is to find your way out.

I tried to design the game in a way to give you a feeling of being abandoned and lost, not by having a lot of dead ends, but by having multiple ways to go at any time (the game is not lineair). You probably only need 30% of the items in the game to find your way out, however the game has two different endings, and for the real explorer, there is always the goal of getting 100%

New screenshots!

Download: http://www.jajproductions.nl/Abandoned.zip

I'm pretty sure all the serious bugs are out now!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 08:27:51 AM by JaJ » Logged

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 07:49:12 AM »

the pompomrobototemplant! im definitely gonna have to check this out!

-edit-

interesting game! did you make the soundtrack in fruityloops? because one of the sounds effects is really really familiar.

i think the game is difficult in two conflicting ways. it has a very convoluted maze like design aaaaand its difficult to move around because of the inertia. i think you should focus on one of those, either make him more agile, or make the level clearer.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 10:43:29 AM by michael » Logged

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 11:04:41 AM »

interesting game! did you make the soundtrack in fruityloops? because one of the sounds effects is really really familiar.

I don't know wich program the composer used.

i think the game is difficult in two conflicting ways. it has a very convoluted maze like design aaaaand its difficult to move around because of the inertia. i think you should focus on one of those, either make him more agile, or make the level clearer.

I'll fix that, as soon as I find out what inertia means...

EDIT
Inertia is the resistance an object has to a change in its state of motion...

Ahhh... I'll make him more agile
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 11:07:57 AM by JaJ » Logged

acidBatterie
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 11:19:23 AM »

make him more agile

i concur
that's some great art  Shocked don't mind the level design ('cept for the invisible walls) - i'm pretty sure making the feak more agile will definitely up the playability  Beer!
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 01:25:11 PM »

I got to 22% and died. I had no clue what I was doing. D:
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 05:10:07 PM »

20% and 15 minutes.  I don't think I'm doing too well.  And I think I may have screwed myself over on my last save, as I have only two minutes left on the timer and I'm pretty sure I'm too far away from another oxygen tank to survive.

The atmosphere and music are really nice.  The control seems a little sluggish, but you did mention you'd be making pompomrobottotempoleplant a little more agile, so that's a good thing.

But I gotta say, the fake walls are really, really annoying.  Perhaps you could make the Radioactive Light make the fake walls slightly transparent when you get really close to them (say, within 1 or 2 blocks).  That way I don't have to waste oxygen trying to bump into every wall.  You could offset the ease of finding fake walls by making the light available later on in the game (but not too much later).  It's a good game, and I'd like to play it, but I don't want to spend the next few days memorizing where all the fake walls are because I've got shit to do, man.  It's already maze-like enough without having to worry about that stuff.

tweet tweet @j_younger
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 09:38:59 PM »

There actually is an object near the start of the game (after the first hyperspeed) that allows you to see trough fake walls in a similair way as the radioactive light with a range of about 10 blocks. However, at the moment, you need to go trough fake walls in order to get it. What I could do is either:

1. Remove the fake walls at those places.
2. Hint at tose passages more, by placing some other obstacle in front of them
3. Nothing

Passing trough fake walls is not at all required to find the exit by the way, however it is required to get the second ending. (wich isn't reachable in this test version anyway as I allready found two ways to get yourself stuck unfortunately)

Also, does the game need more savespots?

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 10:36:06 PM »

8%  Sad

you can save? WTF

Ciardhubh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 11:55:55 PM »

Unfortunately it crashes when I start it:

Code:
for object object3:

Error defining an external function.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 12:17:55 AM »

There actually is an object near the start of the game (after the first hyperspeed) that allows you to see trough fake walls in a similair way as the radioactive light with a range of about 10 blocks. However, at the moment, you need to go trough fake walls in order to get it.

Ah, I see.  Yeah, some kind of hint as to the first fake wall (that the fake wall detector is behind) would be useful, I think.

tweet tweet @j_younger
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 08:56:15 AM »

ERROR in
action number 1
of Other Event: Game Start
for object object3:

Error defining an external function.

Are all the files in the same folder? You need the two dlls in the same folder in order to run it

ChevyRay
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 08:56:52 AM »

Not extracted, perhaps?
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 11:37:42 AM »

There is a new version, I'm pretty sure 100% is possible in this version. Also, I increased the time you get from an oxigen tank from 5 to 8 and improved some other small stuff.

Ciardhubh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 01:04:23 PM »

No way! You have to extract the whole thingamajig whatchamacallit? And there I thought the readme.txt would be all I needed!

Seriously though, I extracted the whole archive. I even put it all in the same directory Smiley.
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 08:22:53 AM »

Seriously though, I extracted the whole archive. I even put it all in the same directory .

Then it really should be working, odd.

By the way the first person has reached 100% (wich turns out to be 102%) So I'm pretty sure it's bugless now. Also added smaller and more screens.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 08:26:34 AM by JaJ » Logged

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 08:26:24 AM »

Unless you consider being able to reach 102% a bug :D
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 08:29:32 AM »

The person who got 102% said I should keep it since it makes you feel larger than life (or something like that)

Anyway if you got 102% you found everything :p

Oh, by the way, this version has also fixed the things mentioned before in this topic.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 10:21:24 AM by JaJ » Logged

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 08:40:29 AM »

bugless

This is an epic statement.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 10:24:30 AM »

Quote from: JaJ on Today at 08:22:53 AM
bugless

This is an epic statement.

Nah, I said I was pretty sure, it would have been epic if I said it was certain.

And with bugless I meant the big bugs that make you unable to continue...

Eli (Threeli)
Level 0

I make games sometimes - sometimes music.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 11:08:20 AM »

Exploratory; which is my favorite type of game, and I always felt compelled to continue.  I'm not sure how close you are to completing it; but I found the fake walls by complete accident, and didn't hate them.  Anyway; thoroughly enjoyable.  I'd like to see if you take this anywhere more.

I'm working on something.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic