Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:38:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOdd and Useless
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Odd and Useless  (Read 12946 times)
MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2013, 09:35:02 AM »

Quote from: 7heSama
I was a little disappointed to think that the enemies would just be basic "patrol here" guys, but then he reacted pretty impressively. Nice work.
Thank you.

These little guys stand still or patrol until the player comes into their field of view, then they start chasing him. I've made it so they can't see through the blocks which it why this one didn't come at me until I jumped above the wall.

The video doesn't show it, but when there are several of them and one see you he screams to warn his friends and then they all come at you.

More scripting is needed but I plan to make them tougher enemies than they look.

Quote from: 7heSama
Would you be willing to explain how your animation system works/what the hold up is a little more? I'm working on my own system and I'm curious how other people do it.
The problem is that we want the player to pick up better weapons as the game goes. Of course each weapon must have its own look, it would be frustrating if the ultimate evil chaotic sword of doom looked just like the plain sword you start the game with. To do that we must use two separated sprites, one for the character and one for the sword, and make the sword one follow the hand of the character. So we did just that and... it didn't look good at all. It felt like the character was just waving his sword in the air, not cutting through something.

To make it look better we must not only move and rotate the sword sprite to follow the character hand, we must also scale it to give it a pseudo 3D move effect. Then it looks cool.

To do that we need an animation editor that will allow the artist to link, move and scale the sprites the way he wants to, and save the result into our custom asset format. Coding such an editor is a big work so I'm not expecting to finish it anytime soon. Once it will be done it will be very useful to us though, not only for the characters but for enemies, boss and background elements as well. So I believe the investment is worth it.

grammaire plz
Sorry our monsters can't even conjugate French verbs properly. One more reason to kill them all.
Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2013, 07:52:34 PM »

I want this game inside me.  Evil

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »

bumping for awesomeness

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2013, 12:30:44 AM »

Looks really slick. Hope you manage to finish this game.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2013, 02:02:12 AM »

This game looks absolutely incredible. I love the asthetic. Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic