Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 06:38:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMovable Forest - a perspective based puzzle game
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Movable Forest - a perspective based puzzle game  (Read 6582 times)
alemke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2012, 06:48:51 PM »

Hey everyone I’m pretty new to TigSource but I’ve already learned a lot just from browsing around checking out peoples games. This is really an amazing community. I introduced myself here if you are interested.

Once Upon a Time… There was a Movable Forest is a perspective based puzzle game born out of Global Game Jam 2012. We’ve been in development off and on since then, hoping to expand on our game jam ideas, and eventually release a full game.

I’m a big fan of animated movies especially traditional hand animated ones, with their use of multiplane environment shots. The main idea for the game was inspired by

. Unity, the program we are working in can essentially be used as an endless digital multiplane camera set up.

Right now I am working on the art style and the music style. My goal is to have these work together and feed off of each other. I absolutely love games like Machinarium and Sword and Sworcery , which manage to do this really well.

I’ll probably be posting mostly screenshots, animations, and eventually music.

This is my first game so I’m looking for any and all feedback especially on the style. One of the things Im worried about is having overly complicated environments. This can really screw up a good puzzle game by making the puzzles visually confusing.

Videos:

Trailer is up!

This is a short teaser trailer that we created for our submission to Fantastic Fest. Sadly we did not make it in, but there's always next year!
   Grin Hand Thumbs Up Left

It shows off some of the early gameplay.

Giant Stump Thing
-3D slicing technique

Possible Music
-Probably wont end up in the game as is, but i came up with some nice sounds that i will probably use.

Walking Giant Stump Thing
-Just got the giant stump thing moving around. Not sure how this will play into the game but it was fun to animate.

Mountain and Cave Set Pieces
- Still trying to figure out ways to limit the characters x movement with parts of the environment so it feels justified. This is the latest.

-This is basically what a level will probably end up looking like. Walls made of bushes, a puzzle and a gate to the next level.

Well also be working on a build to share so we can get some gameplay feedback. So stay tuned for that.

The gameplay requires solving jigsaw-like puzzles using perspective. It's a little bit like Little Big Planet in that it is a platformer with multiple layers to platform upon. The main style of puzzle we’ve been working on requires dragging the puzzle pieces around until they line up from a specific point of view. Kind of hard to explain, it’s much easier to understand when you see it.  But here’s what one of the first puzzles looks like.

And here are a few other levels I have been working on.

Heres a new gate that i just finished:

Facebook page

Blog
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 02:17:55 PM by alemke » Logged

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 11:29:39 PM »

Now that looks fantastic, are you using the orthographic camera? Because it doesn't completely look like. In how many layers do you arrange your backgrounds?

I'm working on a point'n'click with Unity3D and I'm sure we can share a few technical details. One thing I discovered yesterday, and something Swords&Sworcery does to perfection: When you remove the default AudioListener from the camera and instead add it to you player then you can increase the immersion.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 11:35:55 PM by ananasblau » Logged

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 12:49:15 AM »

It looks fantastic!

Yeah.
alemke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 09:39:09 AM »

Now that looks fantastic, are you using the orthographic camera? Because it doesn't completely look like. In how many layers do you arrange your backgrounds?

I'm working on a point'n'click with Unity3D and I'm sure we can share a few technical details. One thing I discovered yesterday, and something Swords&Sworcery does to perfection: When you remove the default AudioListener from the camera and instead add it to you player then you can increase the immersion.

Were just using the normal perspective camera. It makes more sense visually when you see the character in motion. Are you using ortho for your point n click?

Also our layer set up isnt completely set in stone yet. Still trying to figur out the best way to tag everything.

Thats a nice trick about the audio listener.  will definitely try it

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 10:02:44 AM »

Excited to see the music/visual mesh in the demo and trailer. I'm staying tuned...

play hydlide 2
alemke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 02:00:25 PM »

Just edited the first post adding Fbook page and blog links Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 09:51:10 PM »

Were just using the normal perspective camera. It makes more sense visually when you see the character in motion. Are you using ortho for your point n click?

Yes I'm using a orthographic camera. But our scenes aren't that wide, not much too scroll. There's plenty of code for parallax scrolling out there, if we need it.

Will you keep the camera on the y-axis? Might be great effects if you go up and down sometimes.

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 10:10:03 PM »

That art is very intriguing in an awesome way. I would really love to see it in motion. Found trailer. Smiley Reminded me a lot of Amanita games.

alemke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 10:33:07 PM »

Indeed the trailer is up.
Just edited the first post and added a link.

or, you can just click

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 02:20:17 AM »

I'm getting a Paper Mario meets Yuriy Norshteyn vibe from this:

And I like it. A lot.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 03:30:21 AM by JobLeonard » Logged
MrDodo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 02:22:59 AM »

It also remind me Amanita games (which I love). Good luck!

alemke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 08:44:55 AM »

Will you keep the camera on the y-axis? Might be great effects if you go up and down sometimes.

Well one of the things we are thinking about including is some kind of boss at the end of each section of puzzles. Where maybe you have a more action based puzzle to solve. maybe with some time based components. So the monster at the end of the trailer might turn into something like that. I was thinking this could be a really cool place to move the camera on the y axis, maybe showing off  this giant creature and the puzzle you will have to solve to defeat him.

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 08:48:59 AM »

Well one of the things we are thinking about including is some kind of boss at the end of each section of puzzles.

A boss-fight. Awesome feature in any game Smiley

alemke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 10:33:32 AM »

I'm getting a Paper Mario meets Yuriy Norshteyn vibe from this:

And I like it. A lot.

Man, i just watched Hedgehog in the Fog. Excellent stuff! I'd never heard of that guy before. I love the feel of the whole thing.
thank you for expanding my mind

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 11:05:27 AM »

some a$**hole just released a "hedgehog in the fog" game on android, with stolen art (I doubt he got the permission)

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 11:58:56 AM »

Fun fact: Norshteyn's

has been considered the animated movie as voted by professional animators a number of times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tale_of_Tales_(film)

Sadly, I haven't been able to find a good subtitled version yet Sad
alemke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 08:51:43 PM »

Fun fact: Norshteyn's

has been considered the animated movie as voted by professional animators a number of times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tale_of_Tales_(film)

Sadly, I haven't been able to find a good subtitled version yet Sad

I heard he's been working on a feature length animated film since 1981.

No doubt will be amazing... If it ever comes out.   Hand Thumbs Up Right

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 02:03:47 AM »

Well, judging by other animation movies developed for decades (cobbler and the thief, le roi et l'oiseau) I'm not sure. But we're getting off-topic Tongue.
screwtape
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 03:09:51 AM »

Incredibly beautiful, and the music is perfect!
You're using Unity, so Windows/Mac? Or is there a chance of mobile?
Is it just two of you working on this?
alemke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 11:57:36 AM »

Incredibly beautiful, and the music is perfect!
You're using Unity, so Windows/Mac? Or is there a chance of mobile?
Is it just two of you working on this?

Thanks!
We will definitely be doing Windows/Mac, and weve been thinking that the whole layer switching mechanic would be really great on the ipad with some nice swipe controls. But that would be a pretty long ways away.

yup just two of us for now.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic