Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 12:55:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Gosu (GameDev Library)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gosu (GameDev Library)  (Read 3747 times)
IndieBoy
« on: September 01, 2008, 04:12:18 AM »

Some days ago, a friend told me about Gosu, a game development library.

• Have you ever heard about it?
  • What do you think of it?
  • Have you proved it?
  • Study it or choose another library better?

Gosu Homepage

Bye! Gentleman
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 04:19:13 AM »

I have to think of Desu every time I read Gosu and that's really driving me crazy.

It does look interesting though. What I didn't quite get, is it a mix of Ruby and C++, for Ruby made with C++, for C++ made with Ruby or just a library for Ruby and C++? WTF

A tutorial on how to use the Chipmunk physics library with Gosu: RubyChipmunkIntegration, written by Dirk Johnson
Expect a sudden flow of random phyics based games.
IndieBoy
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 04:22:01 AM »

It does look interesting though. What I didn't quite get, is it a mix of Ruby and C++, for Ruby made with C++, for C++ made with Ruby or just a library for Ruby and C++? WTF
Quote from: Gosu Homepage
Gosu is a 2D game development library for the Ruby and C++ programming languages
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 04:53:30 AM »

Ah shit, sorry, for some reason my brain totally garbled up that one sentence.
mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 03:11:06 PM »

A tutorial on how to use the Chipmunk physics library with Gosu: RubyChipmunkIntegration, written by Dirk Johnson

Expect a sudden flow of random physics based games.

Once you start using a really nice 2D physics engine like Chipmunk, it's hard to stop.  You basically get sprite movement/rotation and collision detection for free.  Well, so long as your CPU cycles are free.  Check out some of the videos on the home page for examples of the engine in action.

You've probably seen Crayon Physics, made with the Box2d physics engine.  Chipmunk is inspired by originally based on that library.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 04:27:43 PM by shrapnel » Logged

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 03:20:52 PM »

No, Chipmunk is DERIVED from that library.

mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 04:31:38 PM »

No, Chipmunk is DERIVED from that library.

Whoa, there.  Fixed.  Shocked

mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 03:20:12 PM »

I tried the Ruby binding for Gosu the other day, and it seemed kind of bare.  Coming from Rubygame and SDL, Gosu seemed to lack any way to scale an image or draw circles with code, which were two things important to the kind of game I was working on.  It can draw lines, triangles, and quads, though.

I guess it might be fine if you generate sprite assets for any anticipated display, but I'm not sure how you'd use it to make a resolution-independent game.

I'm giving 2D OpenGL a try now (with glut, GLFW, and FTGL).  Haven't touched OpenGL in 6+ years, though not for lack of interest.  Its statefulness takes some getting used to.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 10:10:16 AM »

You can draw circles with lines. Most circles are drawn with lines, it's just that it's not noticeable because the segments are so small (usually around 64 line segments is good enough to make a round-looking circle). If you want a filled circle, you use filled triangles.

Not having image scaling sounds like a big problem though. Although note that many resolution-independent games do not scale sprites, they just show more of the map and more sprites at once.

mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 01:53:54 PM »

You can draw circles with lines. Most circles are drawn with lines, it's just that it's not noticeable because the segments are so small (usually around 64 line segments is good enough to make a round-looking circle). If you want a filled circle, you use filled triangles.

I found this was the standard way of doing things in OpenGL, but somehow never thought to transfer that knowledge to another platform.  Thanks for the connection!

Not having image scaling sounds like a big problem though. Although note that many resolution-independent games do not scale sprites, they just show more of the map and more sprites at once.

That always feels like cheating to me.  Grin  I guess it's the quickest path to independence and the least demanding on the content library.  I'm working on an action puzzler, though, where taking that route would lead to a tiny board in the middle of the screen. 

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic