Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:32:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIf someone marks copyrighted material under CreativeCommons he doesn't own
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: If someone marks copyrighted material under CreativeCommons he doesn't own  (Read 886 times)
alexmalex
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2012, 04:40:16 AM »

What happens if someone applies a Creative Commons license to other's person work without  knowledge/permission of that person and i use that material in my own product?

For example Mr.B uploaded music by Mr.C under CC license without Mr.C permission to soundsnap.com website then i used that music in my game. After a while Mr.C find out what Mr.B did and recalled license. What happens with my product?

And in general how safe it is to use materials from such kind of websites?

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 09:32:14 AM »

Only the copyright owner can validly offer the work under any particular licence. Your product would potentially need to be changed.

What I don't know is whether the copyright holder could fine you.

The best way to protect yourself against this kind of thing is to make sure you source all assets from their original creators. Since all the Creative Commons licences involve attribution anyway it's usually not hard to track down the creator of the work on the internet. (Unless you're also worried that the creator's details are falsified.)

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 06:36:03 AM »

Just talk with the owner and try to settle the matter instead of waiting for the axe to come. Instead of hiding, show the good use you made with the material. You just might get an agreement from the copyright holder.

Yeah.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 08:42:09 AM »

CC-licenses are just simplification of existing laws.
If you slap a license on someone else's work it's meaningless, as the licenses just represent existing rights held by the creator of the content.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 01:42:17 AM »

By the Bene Convention, you own the rights to your creative output just by the act of creating it. As long as you can prove you did so, it can't be challenged, no matter how many labels anyone slaps on it.

So don't do it.

Further Reading: Copyright Myths

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic