Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:39:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessNeed funds
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Need funds  (Read 3458 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 05:40:53 PM »

ya i don't understand this

if you have an established history making games (either as an indie or in the AAA) and those games have been successful, you *might* have a chance of getting funding for a game from places like kickstarter. but even then it's a *might*, not a certainty

if you have no history making games, are unknown, have never made a game before or even made a released prototype, and all you made are "a couple of pixel arts", and expect to get enough funding to live on while you make a game, you're out of touch with reality

and yes soup's good; lentil soup is particularly easy to make

a suggestion is to buy frozen vegetables. canned ones aren't good for you due to the BPA's, and fresh ones are too expensive; frozen ones are usually no less healthy than fresh ones and much less expensive. frozen corn, peas, spinach, etc. should always be in your freezer

another good source of cheap highly nutritious food is sweet potatoes (sometimes called yams) -- they're much better than normal potatoes. there was once a rating of all the common stable foods in terms of nutritional value, and sweet potatoes came out at #1

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 05:42:46 PM »

Yam fries and a hug are all I need.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 06:04:53 PM »

Someone should pay us for being awesome instead.

This is literally what kickstarter is for.

But.. yeah, get a job. Preferably in the industry. Don't burger flip; you'll get nowhere. Don't get jobs which convert energy to money. You want free time to improve, you don't want to lie down tired at the end of each day.

Maybe a sales job is ok; it trains you to approach people, improve people skills. Valuable for marketing later on. If you have the brains to make games, go for a software company. Or get a job designing websites or something. Companies are very eager to find decent programmers/designers, enthusiasm is worth more than a degree sometimes. Plus you learn a hell lot of applicable skills and get paid to pick up things you'd normally want to.

Starting a business isn't easy. You'd need a good idea of how everything runs. You don't want to be liable for making a mistake that costs your entire company. Try and join a really small company, like 3-10 employees, learn things from the bottom up.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 06:47:10 AM »

Yes, burger flip.

Get in a McDonald's/KFC/Subway/Burger king (I don't care if you hate it/love it).

You'll learn more managerial skills than you think, you'll learn to cook (heh), and will deal with people beside the counter, and learn to boost sales and you will now how big companies push sales. Those kind of companies LOVE when workers want to know more and even provide training sometimes.

Depending on how fast people get in or get out, you might even get a minor manager role or become a trainer. That's easy to achieve. In a relatively short time, you'll learn some valuable lessons that can be applied to any business.

Getting yourself on a sales job will frustrate you, you'll become nothing more that a sales pusher and will go home everyday tired. You'll probably will have to deal with ridiculous goals that will make you overwork.

Either way, get a job that you can depend on and develop on the side and build a portfolio.

Yeah.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 09:41:34 AM »

For my part, I worked one summer as a game development intern on a Unity iOS game which I have no inclination to link to.  I started writing a specialized game engine during that time and continued work on it when I went back to my second year at the university.  I'm still working on it and have made a lot in it.  The next summer, I created a game called Infinite Blank that got me into Sense of Wonder Night, where I made a contact who would become a publisher on a team project of mine.  It also led indirectly to the Cave Story+ work which I've lived on from last summer until recently.  Right now my rent is paid by someone who I'm collaborating with on his dream project.

So I guess the lessons here are to prove your capability, make things constantly and keep an eye out for opportunities.  And go to conferences, especially GDC and other developer ones, if at all possible.  They will likely advance your professional, intellectual and personal development, as they have mine.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2012, 01:04:21 AM »

Incidentally, for "flip burgers" read "work as a freelance programmer". If you're going to be a one person dev team, I'm assuming you program, right?

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2012, 03:08:35 AM »

I'm getting pretty decent at as3 right now, how would I go about getting freelance work for it?

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2012, 01:02:50 PM »

Freelancing is sort of a "you're on your own" deal.  There are some websites that hook freelancers and clients up, but contacts and referrals seem to go further; that's where my work tends to come from.  Also don't be afraid to solicit people who you think might have use for your skills.  I've only really been working for one client (Nicalis) since I started, but it has led to other offers and small jobs.  Similar with my voicework; since Fat Wizard I get occasional offers for more work, either from people who know me or Chevy or out of the blue.

The hard part of freelancing is knowing how much to ask and how to negotiate.  I'm not good at that myself yet, so no advice from me.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Moczan
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2012, 02:51:30 PM »

I'm getting pretty decent at as3 right now, how would I go about getting freelance work for it?

Have a small game or two in your portfolio and be active in Flash communities. Those two got me most of my as3 works, but that can be more of a luck factor involved.
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2012, 03:34:48 PM »

some people might disagree with this but get on food stamps if you can (make under $1000/m).  That's one less expense to think about for at least a year, you'll have more time to work on games, and your body will be healthy.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2012, 04:37:00 AM »

Incidentally, for "flip burgers" read "work as a freelance programmer". If you're going to be a one person dev team, I'm assuming you program, right?

Well, with freelance programming (at least the online kind), you make the same wages as a programmer in India. It's a choice between making enough money to do stuff and getting experience.
Nix
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2012, 05:45:43 AM »

You make more than that if you do a good job and network. Don't just sit around and accept getacoder jobs
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:00:46 AM by Nix » Logged
Moczan
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2012, 06:41:32 AM »

Yep, that's a really shallow perspective, I've even done a job or two for people from Asia for my usual price (which isn't as high as typical US, but not near India's coding sweatshop).
Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2012, 06:56:07 AM »

looks like someone needs a kickstart

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
PODPasteur
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2012, 06:32:10 AM »

Sorry I'm a bit new to the forums, but with your Indiegogo project, generally people want rewards - that's how the system works unfortunately. This would be similar to Kickstarter - people would want a demo of your game or a video and then have rewards either tailored to the game.

I think its great to try reach out, but I'm going to agree with the others. Start a job whatever it may be and develop on the side  Smiley
IndieEmma
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2012, 10:25:49 AM »

No prototype and no finished projects? 
No money for you.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic