Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 05:17:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesI know a new game that is out..
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Author Topic: I know a new game that is out..  (Read 37549 times)
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 13, 2008, 06:50:47 PM »

NOTE: Spinoffs are not always a good idea.
SHUT YOUR ***** MOUTH!

NINJA MISSIONS FOREVER!
Ultimortal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 14, 2008, 03:45:33 PM »

But the cover art even consists of a facepalm.

Hey Dan, if you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to make Iji?

It's difficult to answer. Somewhere between 2000-3000 hours is my best estimate - I took many month-long breaks but literally worked day and night when I did have the motivation. That's about the time I put into Ultimortal too but that sucked horribly, so uh... what I'm saying is that time spent is not a measure of quality. :p I'm not happy with how long Iji took to make.

By the way, I know it may seem like it but the character Dan has nothing to do with me. He's a derivate of another character of mine from a work that was never publicised. So Iji is more of a Mary-Sue than he is, eventhough she's rather based on three other people, real and literary, but mostly my own old characters. Hm, this is getting confusing.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 14, 2008, 03:47:38 PM »

I'm not happy with how long Iji took to make.

Would you say this has to do with the tools you used, or more with the way you approached it?
Ultimortal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 14, 2008, 03:53:31 PM »

Firstly, making such a big game in the first place, when I could have made many smaller ones that would have caused much more combined joy for my players. Secondly that I took such long breaks, which inflated the project time into four years (avoiding this would likely have burned me out very fast though). I can't really say anything bad about Game Maker, Goldwave, Photoshop 5 or Blender 3D since without those great programs I wouldn't have been able to do anything.

Well, alright, I used a really old Blender version without even an undo button since the FK skeletons were incompatible with newer versions. I'm lazy...
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: September 14, 2008, 04:15:26 PM »

Firstly, making such a big game in the first place, when I could have made many smaller ones that would have caused much more combined joy for my players.
You speak as tho making a big game is a bad thing. If you had not made it, however, you may not have as many players as you do now. This game put you on the map, or rather on a map that you heretofore had been excluded from. Before this point you were in a quagmire of "casual freeware" game developers so vast that to rise to the top and be noticed by a larger audience you needed something epic. Iji is that epic, sir. Don't lament it, celebrate it. Gentleman

And fix her face in the closeups, man.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 14, 2008, 04:22:40 PM »

Large games are totally worth it. Grin

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Ultimortal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 14, 2008, 04:23:33 PM »

I know, it's embarrasing... certain images still make me cringe (in particular the cutscene at the end of Sector 2), but no matter how much I redrew them I couldn't get them better for release. Tongue I'll likely fix some of them up for version 1.2, thanks.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 15, 2008, 02:34:49 AM »

I don't think I would have enjoyed four years' worth of little games more than Iji.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 15, 2008, 01:52:58 PM »

I don't think I would have enjoyed four years' worth of little games more than Iji.
Exactly. Thanks a lot for Iji, Daniel. Putting so much effort into a freeware game is something really commendable. Gentleman
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 15, 2008, 09:39:03 PM »

MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 16, 2008, 05:30:15 AM »

I tried Iji yesterday. It's alright, IMO. Upgrading feels annoying.. I have nfi what's best to upgrade or how to tell, and the game seems to taunt you by sayign "Oh no, you can't crack a scout! Oh no, you can't kick the door! Oh no, you can't handle this weapon!"
and I'm 100% sure her brother's an AI and her sister crawls the ventilation shafts, and I'm only on level 3.  WTF
On a positive note, some of the enemy weapons are really cool (The green spammy thing, and those rockets rock).
Lol my first encounter with rocket.. see an enemy charging up so I jump, I thought he was locking on to me. I jumped straight into the rocket path, and about 4 people at work were watching after commenting on "standard gameplay" then everyone was like WOAH.  Smiley

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 16, 2008, 08:06:28 AM »

I'm 100% sure her brother's an AI and her sister crawls the ventilation shafts, and I'm only on level 3.  WTF

Roll Eyes
Seth
« Reply #192 on: September 16, 2008, 11:29:43 AM »

release a mac port please

edit:  that came off whiny.  I mean, I'm just disappointed that I don't have the chance to play a game that everyone's so hyped up about!
Ultimortal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 16, 2008, 03:01:04 PM »

release a mac port please
Unfortunately, it's impossible to my knowledge since it was made in a Windows-only tool. Sorry.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 16, 2008, 04:19:54 PM »

A Mac GM should be available eventually, but it'll most certainly be based on newer versions, to which Iji's source code can't be translated and would force Ultimortal into a lot of work.

I think Mac users are out of luck.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 16, 2008, 04:37:55 PM »

godsavant
« Reply #196 on: September 16, 2008, 05:15:27 PM »

Done a games journalism for Iji,http://db.tigsource.com/games/iji. Don't know if I covered everything, tell me if I didn't.

On a an secretly related note, can anyone provide me with a picture of General Tor or an Annihilator?
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 16, 2008, 05:44:22 PM »

"Tragic ending for killing everything"  Shocked -TigerSauce Review
A nice twist, indeed. But you know, with all those weapons lying around..

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: September 16, 2008, 08:01:06 PM »

I know, it's embarrasing... certain images still make me cringe (in particular the cutscene at the end of Sector 2), but no matter how much I redrew them I couldn't get them better for release. Tongue I'll likely fix some of them up for version 1.2, thanks.
Simple solution. No detail. Just an outline. If you feel the need add a little shading where her eyes would be, but keep the thick blocky shapes. It worked for OUt of this World, the comparisons are unavoidable, so just go with it.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 17, 2008, 03:24:40 AM »

Fantastic game. I can't think of any other that has such a human main character.

Didn't mind the art (and thought that the cutscenes were pretty great). Some of the writing was a bit dodge though.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic