Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 09:06:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesI know a new game that is out..
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: I know a new game that is out..  (Read 37551 times)
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 10:06:49 PM »

That game is great, and I really like the graphics. They reminds me a lot to Flashback and Another World. The movement is smooth, and I think the style is well done. The only detail I don't like in th graphics is that the sprite looks too static when falling.

This is definitely one of my favorites, and I've been playing it a lot these last days.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 10:16:29 PM »

yeah, I didn't really find anything wrong with the graphics, 'cept what Lucaz said about the static fall. Everything felt very cohesive. I mean sure, they could be better, but what can't? The smoothness of the animations sort of allayed any graphical gripes I may have had. When I first saw the trailer, I said, that looks awesome, but it could look better. But now that I've played it, I can see that they're fine for what they are, and it's no doubt gonna be going on my favorite games ever list, regardless of graphics.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 01:10:30 AM »

i like the flashback-like animations, the graphics are not so good but it's well animated.

Also there's a scene that i took like an homage to Another World... when Iji opens her eyes... that cutscene looks absolutely like the one between level 1 and 2 in Another World!!!

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 02:37:07 AM »

This game makes me feel soooooooooo guilty.  Why?  Because it's the first game that I've stopped playing simply because of the graphics.  Sad

I love the music, and the gameplay (at least what I saw in the trailer, and heard about in Derek's writeup) sounds really good too.  The intro story was fine enough, but I just couldn't bring myself past those graphics.  What's even worse about this is that I probably can't even make graphics of that level myself, and yet I'm still being critical.  Sad

I'm sorry Iji, I really am...  Cry

What shocks me is that everybody freaks out over the graphics even when they blow most indie games out of the water. RE: Anything by Cactus.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 02:40:35 AM »

Haven't played this yet. A classmate of mine made some boss music for it though Grin

reallyjoel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 07:52:17 AM »

For some reason, many people seem to be very irked about this games' graphics. I don't get that, I especially think the animations are very smooth.

Maybe there is something in the style that just puts some people off.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 08:18:11 AM »

For some reason, many people seem to be very irked about this games' graphics. I don't get that, I especially think the animations are very smooth.

Maybe there is something in the style that just puts some people off.

Probably the same reason some people were put off by Windwaker.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 09:32:56 AM »

It looks like what a kid would draw during class. An untalented kid.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 09:39:16 AM »

Also the protagonists run/walkcycle is awful. Smooth, but awful.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 11:13:02 AM »

You guys are MAINSTREAM.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
medieval
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 11:48:33 AM »

You guys are MAINSTREAM.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2008, 11:58:15 AM »

HOW CARE AOUT GRAPHIC
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2008, 12:28:12 PM »

very good game....finished sector 4.

have anyone finsihed it already and can say how many levels they are.
no spoilers please. just say the number. Wink

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2008, 12:34:24 PM »

10. Smiley
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2008, 01:27:20 PM »

allright, thanks.
now i finished sector 6.

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2008, 01:37:27 PM »

I love this game, certainly the best indie game of the year so far, but, I agree that its graphics aren't the best. They really aren't in the league of Flashback or Out of This World -- and remember that Out of This World, too, was created by a single person who did all the music, graphics, programming and so on.

I know graphics are to some degree subject to individual taste, but Out of This World clearly had much more effort put into the graphics. Look at that color harmony! Knowledge and use of color harmonies is really what separates good graphics from bad in my experience. It's not just about sprite detail, it's all about the colors.

That said, I still think Iji is a far better game than Out of This World, even though I also really love Out of This World. Out of This World was too difficult, and its puzzles could only be solved in a single way which you had to learn through trial and error. Iji is far more flexible. Both have very interesting and memorable stories, but I even think Iji's story is slightly better than Out of This World's.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2008, 01:43:28 PM »

Out of This World clearly had much more effort put into the graphics.
I don't think effort is a factor so much as ability.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2008, 01:56:13 PM »

I know graphics are to some degree subject to individual taste, but Out of This World clearly had much more effort put into the graphics.

I agree that OOTW had better graphics, but I think it's a bit unfair to put it this way. Some people are talented at art, some not quite so (and some, like me, suck completely). One could demand that the creator of Iji should have put more effort into the graphics to bring them to the standards of OOTW, but I don't think that helps. Most likely, he would have spent another year or so on the project trying to polish the graphics to excellence, finally realizing that it just won't happen and losing motivation to work on the project because of frustration.

Also, it seems that graphics weren't his major focus for this game (so far I'd say narrative and choice were, but I haven't finished it yet).

In any case, I agree it's definitely one of the best indie games this year (don't know about the top spot, haven't played Braid yet), and the graphics really don't bother me at all. I think they look nice enough, sure they could be better, but so what. This is one's person idea, executed by himself to the best of his abilities with love and passion, and if that's not the spirit of indie gaming then I don't know what is.

Okay, I got a bit sidetracked here. In fact Xion said what I originally wanted to say in just one sentence, so, well.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2008, 02:05:32 PM »

Actually I disagree with the idea of talent. I don't think there's any type of inborn artistic talent that some people have and others don't. I mean, I'm sure genetics matters to some degree, but I think it's not as important as most people believe. It's easy to say that something is a talent, but most good artists argue with that, they know that it's mostly their hard work. Usually it's really annoying to someone who is considered a good artist to say that it's just "talent" because they know how much hard work went into getting to be as good as they are, and saying it's just talent implies that they aren't responsible for how good they are, that it's just an accident of birth.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2008, 02:22:24 PM »

Sorry to derail the deeply philosophical conversation, but FUCK YEAH. I've finished finding all the posters, and I got to the secret area that unlocks after you do. Good luck to everybody else trying to get to the secret area, some of the posters are really devious.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic