Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:13:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesAny fans of The Guardian Legend here?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Any fans of The Guardian Legend here?  (Read 11001 times)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 12:35:40 PM »

But they totally added those sweet lightning bolts .. Crazy
arseniy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 08:10:17 PM »

The US cover ripped off this movie poster:
That's just another reason it makes no sense. There is nothing reminds this poster inside the whole game  Droop

My game Orbox B: Rebirth. Puzzle-logic with sci-fi story
Lot of mechanics and levels. Google play, iOS, PC, Mac, find links in press kit here:
https://progamix.com/en/PressKit/14/orbox-b-rebirth
eld
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 11:41:23 PM »

Something I always wondered: Who was the artist behind the japanese cover image?

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 01:49:15 AM »

lol, so through the years I've had this urge to see TGL re-envisioned in 3D and I actually found a website I put together 7 years ago and haven't touched since... But there's an image gallery of some 3D TGL remake stuff I made here... It's so crude I almost don't want to show it; it's like baby's first 3D render. I'm seriously not too great when it comes to 3D, I just like to muck around. These images were made in 3D Studio Max like 10 years ago:

http://www.freewebs.com/phubans/tglrgallery.html

However, I did attempt something more recently, like a couple years ago but only spent a day working on it, so it didn't get much further than this, but I felt like the atmosphere was heading in the right direction, what do you think?

(Right Click -> View Image for full size)

I'd like to see somebody who knows what they're doing with 3D do some really nice 3D remake mockups someday... Maybe I can try it again someday if I feel up to it.

arseniy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 02:31:32 AM »

Something I always wondered: Who was the artist behind the japanese cover image?

Naoyuki Kato.

Lot of mechanics and levels. Google play, iOS, PC, Mac, find links in press kit here:
arseniy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 02:35:53 AM »

lol, so through the years I've had this urge to see TGL re-envisioned in 3D and I actually found a website I put together 7 years ago and haven't touched since... But there's an image gallery of some 3D TGL remake stuff I made here... It's so crude I almost don't want to show it; it's like baby's first 3D render. I'm seriously not too great when it comes to 3D, I just like to muck around. These images were made in 3D Studio Max like 10 years ago:

http://www.freewebs.com/phubans/tglrgallery.html

However, I did attempt something more recently, like a couple years ago but only spent a day working on it, so it didn't get much further than this, but I felt like the atmosphere was heading in the right direction, what do you think?

http://i.imgur.com/NtlRu.jpg
(Right Click -> View Image for full size)

I'd like to see somebody who knows what they're doing with 3D do some really nice 3D remake mockups someday... Maybe I can try it again someday if I feel up to it.
Yeah I've seen that 3d mockup. I like it. It seems a bit too dark and a bit horror tho and the new picture seems a pure horror genre. That would be really scary to explore such dark rooms with red and green glowing lamps. I would not like to play horror TGL. Overal it looks nice however if not think about conection with the actual game.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 02:52:32 AM »

Hmm, the reason I envisioned it like this is because NAJU almost seems like an abandoned synthetic planetoid that is running on auxiliary power supply, since the original crew was basically wiped out by the alien infestation, all that remains of them is their record stored on machines; "If you are reading this, then I must have failed."

I imagine NAJU is overrun with alien life forms, while simultaneously falling apart; rusted old wall panels hanging out, dripping pipes, genetically modified grass being overgrown. Perhaps it could be a bit brighter than this, but I still imagine it would be pretty dim, as if lit by some really low-watt fluorescent lights:

I guess saving & editing that image multiple times created some compression artifacts on the image, but I feel like they add to the atmosphere! Kind of like a weird fog that looms about the corridors.

So if you could remake TGL in a certain way, how would your version look?

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 08:34:40 AM »

I think I would go for a bright color palette for the overworld because that's how I remember it. In reality it was a bit dirtier than I remember it :

I was just googling TGL images to refresh my memory and came acrosz this site. The colors the guy uses in his concept art is fairly close to what I had in mind.

The shooting portion looks cool too.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 09:39:10 AM »

Hey, the guy that drew that stuff is around on TigIRC sometimes.  As ArneLurk.  Anyway, it looks cool.

Bonus random bullshit : XOP was originally planned to be a TGL fangame, thus the varied environments in each level and different weapons you can select.  I eventually decided not to go ahead with the fangame idea, though.
arseniy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 09:43:04 AM »

What is XOP? I check youtube for the XOP game and it found some SHMUP video but it can remind maybe Raiden but not TGL. Is it your project?

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 09:51:01 AM »

Oh yeah, that is a solid cover. I don't care if it has almost nothing to do with the game. Most 80's cover-art didn't. The point is that it looks incredible. A lot of modern games just copy-paste some pre-rendered cinematic graphics for their cover art. Here we have an actual painting that looks fantastic. More modern games need this kind of cover art.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2012, 01:28:08 PM »

Yeah, Arne's work is top-notch, and I especially loved his TGL concepts.

arseniy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2012, 10:44:10 PM »

Oh yeah, that is a solid cover. I don't care if it has almost nothing to do with the game. Most 80's cover-art didn't. The point is that it looks incredible. A lot of modern games just copy-paste some pre-rendered cinematic graphics for their cover art. Here we have an actual painting that looks fantastic. More modern games need this kind of cover art.

A solid cover but did you noticed it just copy-pasted from the poster of "Creature" on the left?

arseniy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2012, 10:45:35 PM »

Yeah, Arne's work is top-notch, and I especially loved his TGL concepts.

I like how he works with color and I liked some picture but I don't like how he made the guardian girl with two big things on the head!  Shocked

e_va
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2012, 10:50:56 PM »

what a stupid faggot
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2012, 11:36:02 PM »

I actually got to try the Guardian Legend recently. I had an old cart of it that didn't work. I popped that thing open and cleaned the connectors and all with rubbing alcohol. It works like a charm now. I had to work for it.

I had quite a bit of fun with it. Its odd how much harder the shmup sections are than the top down exploration ones. I got to beat four shmup sections so far. Tis' a fun game.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 12:00:47 AM »

I feel like the game puts a much higher emphasis on exploration for the top-down stuff while the shmup sequences are where the game's challenge comes from. In the end it's a pretty nice balance of keeping things separated in a good way. The top-down exploration feels like a nice jaunt rather than feeling tense; it gives good breathing room. Then, when you're ready to psych yourself out for a good challenge, you hop in a corridor and do it!

It's kind of like eating a plate of meat, mashed potatoes, and veggies. Sure, you could just mix them all together and eat them like that, but I'd rather have them all separate and alternate between them. Weird analogy, but you know what I mean...

John Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2012, 11:20:19 PM »

I always really liked The Guardian Legend. Music was great, too; even that miniboss alarm seems to be my iconic alarm-tone I think of.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2012, 05:53:45 AM »

A solid cover but did you noticed it just copy-pasted from the poster of "Creature" on the left?

Actually, close inspection shows that they are two separate works. The Guardian Legend cover image is obviously based off of the Creature poster, but it is not a direct copy. Similar or influenced by is not the same thing as a direct copy. All of the fine details of the two images are different.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2012, 07:42:54 AM »

i played guardian legend when it first came out, and have for 5+ years been working on a game partially inspired by guardian legend

i'd say it's one of my favorite NES games; definitely in the top 5

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic