Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:44:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeTIG projects
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: TIG projects  (Read 5354 times)
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2012, 03:35:09 AM »

Why haven't we done this?

A lot of us have skill in some programming language/s and have some experience in making games, so why haven't we gotten together and made something big? I'm thinking we all set groups for different programming languages, then lay down the groundwork for what tools we use, flesh out an idea, and then get to work on different parts.

I know there's probably a problem with communication, but with some kind of group chat/message board, I think we could iron out issues quickly. If someone gets lazy, they get no credit and someone else can pitch in to work on his part.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 03:41:14 AM »

Too many cooks in the kitchen, herding cats, etc.
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 03:48:10 AM »

Too many cooks in the kitchen, herding cats, etc.

Some of us also have experience in organization, leading, etc.

It's an idea I think we should at least try
Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 05:22:04 AM »

Actually there is two TIG community projects, indie brawl and Balding's quest

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 06:01:53 AM »

It's a shame that the community projects are so hard to find.
Balding Quest - http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?board=28.0
Indie Brawl - http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?board=29.0

They are both pretty dead at the moment though.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 06:11:38 AM »

They have their own subforum, how is that hard to find?

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 06:35:27 AM »

Correction Balding Quest has it's own sub-sub-sub-sub-forum. I knew it existed and I still had to look hard to find it in order to post that link.

chongdashu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 07:18:57 AM »

From my experience, just putting talented people together won't make a great product. You'd need a good leader who can motivate and keep every one in check. Being a leader, and doing development at the same time, requires quite a high workload. Couple that with the fact that most people will be doing it as their side project (or one of their many side projects), you'll see that coordination becomes difficult because of the different stakes each person has in the team.
Liosan
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 10:58:58 AM »

I'll just share a few of my experiences with a community project Smiley

Warlock's Gauntlet was a community project for a polish game programming forum, warsztat.gd. We actually managed to finish it, and the development took 2 years. But as for the quality... well, this isn't the best of games, because we were almost entirely programmer-focused, and other aspects of the game are lacking. Still, it got 6.9 on desura. Guess people thought it had unused potential Tongue

As for leadership, 3 people from the team shared the 'coordinator' position throughout the project, for better or worse. Coordinators stepped down not because they left the project (all 3 remained until the end), but because of lack of time or because we felt someone else would be better. Any of the 3 of us was essential - if the coordinator started slopping, the project ground to a halt.

We had a huge team member rotation, and most of the core team were remnants of the starting group, but even late in the project we found people that would stay for many months.

I really should write a post mortem one day.

Liosan

Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 12:12:32 PM »

I think the problem is that members working on those two TIG projects are not active anymore, and new people aren't that interested in them, maybe because they've been in the works for quite a long time. Also maybe it's kinda hard to coordinate such a thing in forum enviroment.

But for sure we need a new community project. Either this or a new official TIG Compo. It has been way too loong time since we have had one.

LazyWaffle
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 04:35:08 PM »

I'm down, if you can think of a good gimmick.

But yeah, we haven't had much luck with community projects in the past.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 05:07:49 PM »

I'll just share a few of my experiences with a community project Smiley

Warlock's Gauntlet was a community project for a polish game programming forum, warsztat.gd. We actually managed to finish it, and the development took 2 years. But as for the quality... well, this isn't the best of games, because we were almost entirely programmer-focused, and other aspects of the game are lacking. Still, it got 6.9 on desura. Guess people thought it had unused potential Tongue

As for leadership, 3 people from the team shared the 'coordinator' position throughout the project, for better or worse. Coordinators stepped down not because they left the project (all 3 remained until the end), but because of lack of time or because we felt someone else would be better. Any of the 3 of us was essential - if the coordinator started slopping, the project ground to a halt.

We had a huge team member rotation, and most of the core team were remnants of the starting group, but even late in the project we found people that would stay for many months.

I really should write a post mortem one day.

Liosan
You really should write one!

And I'm still impressed that you managed to finish this project, good job, dunno if I already said it earlier  Wink Hand Thumbs Up Right

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 08:55:03 PM »

I've done some group projects, the main issue is always finding things that people want to create as a group. And motivation, leadership. Usually nobody wants to take leadership, and the one who does is incompetent. I've written a few articles on online indie team management; maybe I'll do a better one for TIGS later, now that I've had experience managing MMO alliances as well Tongue
VideoGameProject
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 09:33:34 AM »

From my experience, just putting talented people together won't make a great product. You'd need a good leader who can motivate and keep every one in check. Being a leader, and doing development at the same time, requires quite a high workload. Couple that with the fact that most people will be doing it as their side project (or one of their many side projects), you'll see that coordination becomes difficult because of the different stakes each person has in the team.

Hey Guys!

I have the skills and motivation needed to get a game created. I, like this forum creator would like to get some talented people together to make a game. If interested visit http://www.facebook.com/VideoGamesProject. I have the same dream. Let's turn it into a reality.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »

Hey Guys!

I have the skills and motivation needed to get a game created. I, like this forum creator would like to get some talented people together to make a game. If interested visit http://www.facebook.com/VideoGamesProject. I have the same dream. Let's turn it into a reality.

0/10 should've kept your trolling to a single thread.
VideoGameProject
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 09:43:55 AM »

Hey Guys!

0/10 should've kept your trolling to a single thread.

Maybe so, This person is trying to do the same as I. Perhaps by "Trolling" this thread I I can gather support. And team up with this like minded individual with the same goal.
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 11:47:01 AM »

From what I gather in the thread:
1. If we did this, we'd need a good leader and good organization. Obviously there's got to be multiple leaders managing different things.
2. There have been different collaborations, but they're pretty much dead. Probably due to inactive members or the whole forum structure of posting things. I was always imagining some kind of IM for this instead, one that most people here use.
3. Motivation. I think this doesn't need to be an obstacle if a clear design doc is made and everyone is given very simple tasks one at a time.

I think I forgot to mention that my idea was that there would be projects for different programming languages. Competition is a great motivator.
Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 12:09:01 PM »

Evil Evil
Wants this now! Managing a project like this could be interesting.

Time to make a poll!

MrDodo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 12:45:00 AM »

Well, I would like to be in. My programming skills are not great, but I have some experience with Flash (as3) and Box2D.

The idea of some kind of competition between the different lenguages I think rocks!

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 07:57:28 AM »

Wrote up a quick and dirty guide to managing indie projects:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=27653.0
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic