Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:44:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeTIG projects
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: TIG projects  (Read 5398 times)
SodiumEyes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 09:04:18 PM »

The thing to remember is that games are often year-long/multi-year projects. You can't just post "let's make a game together!" on a forum and expect to form a team of people who are actually committed enough to achieve such a long-term goal.
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 09:12:49 PM »

i'd give a go with graphics and contribute to design
Retro
Level 2

Matej Jan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 02:48:21 PM »

Warlock's Gauntlet was a community project for a polish game programming forum, warsztat.gd. We actually managed to finish it, and the development took 2 years. But as for the quality... well, this isn't the best of games, because we were almost entirely programmer-focused, and other aspects of the game are lacking. Still, it got 6.9 on desura. Guess people thought it had unused potential Tongue

I hope you know what an awesome achievement this is. I've been involved in a similar initiative on a Slovenian gamedev forum and it failed spectacularly for all the reasons everyone mentions.

But if I try really hard to come up with something constructive for such an initiative, maybe it should be managed more like open-source projects, maybe even to extent of delegating jobs through a system like Worklist. I have no idea how to design such a game though as I'm not a guy to support design-by-committee.

LazyWaffle
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 07:58:32 PM »

Nothing to contribute right now, but bumping this. I propose we just start pitching game ideas, I guess?
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 10:12:19 PM »

For those interested in using GML, I have a starting framework (in my current project) that's flexible enough to handle most 2D game styles, and includes a Level Chunker approach for ProcGen level design.

Slightly disjointed attempt at making a flexible framework for many types of 2D games. Many of the asset objects already have coding for proper actions/reactions (bomb collect adds bomb ammo, bomb set subtracts one, creates explosion, objects react to explosion sprites), and it also contains (optional) code for a "level chunk randomizer," which can be coded with strings to set tile objects.

No music, SFX, or tilesets yet; and character controls and stuff like gravity/collision checks aren't implemented as of now. All assets are Creative Commons. Could use better "placeholder bushes/trees" as well.

Level Chunker management tutorial:
1. Create a grid of "LevelGenChunk" objects, surround where closeoffs are desired with "Blackout" objects. These will randomly transform into "BattleChunk," "NaviChunk," and "TrapChunk" objects.

2. These three objects will check neighboring chunks and provide a Perlin Noise-style answer (IE: their "image_index") that will cause them to link to one another, and close off any of the same type (or Blackouts). The idea here is to provide flux between different playstyles, in order to prevent monotony.

+1 blocks off the top.
+2 blocks off the left.
+4 blocks off the right.
+8 blocks off the bottom.
"15" totals make standalone rooms that we can bridge with created doorways, or warp pipes, that sort of thing.

3. Based on the image index, the objects then use ten "fillScreen#" commands, each one laying fifteen tiles across. The first 15 variables are "image_index" frames for the "oScriptTiles" object. There's easy-to-pick-up-on patterns in that. Then for the 16th variable, just list the object (oScriptTiles).

It makes a 15 x 10 grid of 48x48 tiles; and so long as openings between them are mutual, it's all green. Tiles include two-tall/wide angles and inner/outer curvatures as well.

4. Just use conditional "create_object" commands after that to fill the chunks with objects!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 10:42:07 PM by baconman » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic