Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:22:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesKickstarter project by Ice-Pick Lodge (Pathologic/The Void)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Kickstarter project by Ice-Pick Lodge (Pathologic/The Void)  (Read 5460 times)
ConfusedLlama
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2012, 05:57:54 AM »

There is a wooden house standing in the thick of the forest. A single man resides there.

As of late the house is visited by unusual Guests which knock on the window shutters inviting the hermit to take part in a game of hide-and-seek. The winning condition is simple, you have to remain alive and to retain your sanity till sunrise. This means that approaching the Visitors head-on might be a terrible idea.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/knock-knock

If you've given Ice-Pick Lodges previous work a try in Pathologic, The Void or Cargo! then you'll likely be familiar with their particular brand of oddness and interesting art styles. They're trying something different in terms of perspective and style but it looks no less unusual Smiley

This project is all the more interesting when you look at how it's another step towards Ice-Pick Lodge looking to work closer with the players to make titles.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 07:11:01 AM »

cool. concept reminds me of amnesia a bit.

i really liked pathologic but im not so sure about their other games.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 08:40:13 AM »

Cargo! and Pathologic cannot possibly have been made by the same team.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 02:28:12 AM »

Why do the beggars come here and post anonymously instead of coming clean and say "Hey, Im (whoever) and I come here to tell you peeps about our kickstart campaign", go through hoops and post like an anonymous user that is telling people about this thing?

For this, I hope they fail.

If they come here and come clean, I might hope they succeed.

Yeah.
Nix
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 02:34:57 AM »

You don't need to make a game anymore to be successful. You just have to make a video about wanting to make a game and people will pay you money.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 02:47:05 AM »

These guys have made 3 games, one of which is kinda a "cult classic" so yeah

It'd be pretty sad if they resorted to "viral" spam marketing but we can't prove anything so I'd tread lightly with the accusations (IP checking was last useful 10 years ago).
Nix
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 02:49:58 AM »

It does look like a really cool game. I just wish they would fund its development in a smarter way.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 03:02:04 AM »

why is it a dumb way to fund the game?
eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 03:05:32 AM »

It'd be pretty sad if they resorted to "viral" spam marketing but we can't prove anything so I'd tread lightly with the accusations (IP checking was last useful 10 years ago).
I accuse them because:

1) A user with a single post created this topic.
2) The users' only post is this one.
3) The user registered yesterday, mere moments before the creation of this topic.

It is quite obvious that this is self-advertising, no?

Yeah.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 03:24:54 AM »

who... cares?

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 03:32:08 AM »

Id say that if this was some upstart dev no one has heard of but the Icepick lodge guys have been around for a while and have a kind of fanbase, so it's possible that this is just a rabid fan advertising the game (happens more often than you think)
e_va
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 04:06:22 AM »

idk / idc if its the devs or not or whatever but kickstarter threads are boring and lame
eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 05:12:52 AM »

What he/she/it said previously.

Yeah.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 10:40:49 AM »

too much exposition is not good for the creative process.
I don't like that a work of art is being paraded while it is being created (or not even started!), I like even less that it is used to beg for money.
Art should come to the world wholly formed like baby.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 11:14:08 AM »

most babies.

crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 11:15:16 AM »

You can tell he's not an ice-pick under cover mostly because he doesn't use broken english and doesn't sound insane.

I'm interested in this game. Let's talk about that instead maybe?
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 11:24:56 AM »

Game is pretentious crappy platformer. Lets talk about broken english and insanity instead.
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 01:33:41 PM »

Did you somehow think an Ice-Pick game would not be pretentious in some way? They are gloriously pretentious, and that's why people who like them like them (I, too, am a fan).
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 11:27:30 PM »

Well mainstream hate machine going to rise after major kickstarter game projects releases. Althought it fate largery depends on Wasteland 2 and Double Fine game - if they fail, people going to simply regret funding them with "some dude, who was fired from large company making remake of some obscure old game" scheme never to be succesful again.
Also it got bad influence on young developers. Their projects were usually destined to die with few concept arts, crappy concept dock and maybe some models. Now they can waste everyone money, and care less about game and more about getting into Kickstarter to get rich.
ConfusedLlama
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 05:27:42 AM »

I accuse them because:

1) A user with a single post created this topic.
2) The users' only post is this one.
3) The user registered yesterday, mere moments before the creation of this topic.

It is quite obvious that this is self-advertising, no?

Your cynicism is unfortunate. I'm in no way affiliated with Ice-Pick Lodge. I'm an end user, a customer. I just happen to really enjoy the titles they make and am eager for Knock Knock to reach a wider audience. It's not going to promote itself now is it?

Yes I made an account on here to raise awareness of Knock Knock. Much the same way that I made an account on Bethesda due to a curiosity about Morrowind Mods or on Gamefaqs because I was looking for help with Resident Evil 2 all those years ago. If there's something I'm interested in, would like to share with others or need help with - I'll look for a community that may be either interested in or able to help with.

The mechanic shift does seem a little odd compared to say Pathologic but Cargo! was completely unexpected for me also.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic