Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:25:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMercury (winner-generated roguelike)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Mercury (winner-generated roguelike)  (Read 12700 times)
iffi
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 12:32:13 AM »

Interesting concept (I wonder if there are other genres it could be successfully applied to); I'm genuinely interested in how this turns out in the long run.

I'm glad to see that he's working on adding support for private servers - I think it'd be pretty cool if, for instance, we had a TIGSource server for this.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2012, 12:36:41 AM »

what are typical high scores? i'm not sure if i have the high score cuz of when i played it, or if my score is actually good
last time i played they were around 17-25k i believe.
tone
Level 0

Games?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2012, 11:58:46 AM »

what are typical high scores? i'm not sure if i have the high score cuz of when i played it, or if my score is actually good

You can check the high scores here: http://decisionproblem.com/mercury/. Honestly, the scores vary greatly depending on your ability to discover and exploit new items. If you look at the current top five, I'm sitting at number one with 1,000,000+ and closely trailed by one other player. The third and fourth place scores are tier 2 and in the 300,000 range. Number five hasn't even broken 80,000.

I suspect these scores will even out a bit as people learn how to effectively combine new elements, which (IMHO) is half the fun. I can't explain what a blast I've had with Mercury since I discovered this post. Thanks Jason, Derek, and--most of all--James.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2012, 12:00:28 PM »

when i posted that, i had the #1 spot Tongue

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
tone
Level 0

Games?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2012, 12:09:46 PM »

when i posted that, i had the #1 spot Tongue

Are you Kevin!? There is someone sitting around 2,000,000+ right now and has yet to die. I think I could probably go much bigger than I did just now, but I got a bit of a bad luck start around level 34.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2012, 12:11:08 PM »

no, i only had like 60k or something. that's why i was asking about what scores usually are.

i think it was a bad idea to give a character regeneration. it's too bad that can't be balanced out without someone just erasing the entire character / giving up their chance to make something, characters are never going to be balanced like that. that you can pretty much play forever if you get past a certain point cuz of the regeneration is stupid.

also, what happened to the goblins and stuff? why are there only like 3 enemies right now?

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2012, 07:19:25 PM »

well... that was dum, there's a game breaking inventory, I got to level 54 before I got an error
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2012, 11:37:10 PM »

ok so the game is totally broken right now, balance wise. the only reason the scores aren't infinitely large is cuz there's a bug that keeps you from going past level 59.  Droop

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2012, 11:42:18 PM »

steroids need to be modded
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2012, 12:07:55 AM »

maybe, but i think those are far from the only issue, and whatever gets added next should be something that would deal with similar problems in the future. (because if it lasts for any length of time, issues like this will almost certainly crop up again.) regen needs to be removed from the one character, it's too overpowered. and there needs to be a limit on how far you can go in the dungeon, maybe level 60 or something. (that way if another exploit like this pops up, the high scores won't just be "whoever had the most time over the weekend.") it's really too bad that the regen thing can't be fixed without someone giving up their chance to add something to the game. there needs to be a system for small balance changes that doesn't affect your ability to add something to the game.

one idea i had would be to make an ability for monsters that lets them hit you through all of your defense, and another ability that temporarily reverses your bonuses... something like that would counter most simple exploits in the future.

Liosan
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2012, 01:13:04 AM »

I suck at this game, getting past floor 5 is beyond my abilities Smiley

Liosan

tone
Level 0

Games?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »

and there needs to be a limit on how far you can go in the dungeon, maybe level 60 or something.

This is actually the upper limit already, but it's not intentional. I made it to level 59 with a score over 6 million and then the game crashed when I tried to move on to level 60. I guess I should have realized something was fishy when I noticed all of the top scores end on level 59. Oh, well. I certainly don't feel like doing that again.
iffi
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2012, 02:55:54 AM »

Is there any way to change the window size? It's too large for my netbook's screen. If not, I'll either have to play it on my desktop or wait until I get my new laptop (which I've already ordered).

it's really too bad that the regen thing can't be fixed without someone giving up their chance to add something to the game. there needs to be a system for small balance changes that doesn't affect your ability to add something to the game.
Maybe instead of only being able to add or remove one thing, the winner should be allowed to make two or three changes - that way the winner could make a small balancing change but still be able to change something besides that. Or maybe be able to add one thing, remove one thing, or edit two (or more) things.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic