Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411869 Posts in 69424 Topics- by 58471 Members - Latest Member: spdp

June 04, 2024, 11:02:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Ninja sprite - feedback wanted
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ninja sprite - feedback wanted  (Read 7341 times)
nessGames
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2012, 08:05:55 PM »

Hey, so past few nights I've been experimenting with sprites for a game I'm planning. I've gone through quite a few revisions, but decided to settle on the 8-bit-esque art style for the game - which means tiny characters and 16x16 tiles! I've based quite a bit from megaman, since the game I'm creating will have a similar play style. I've attempted to draw the frame outlines myself, but didn't work too well. So these are temporary. Here is some old concept artwork I was doing a few days ago:

I decided to resize it for the 8-bit look, wasn't happy with it:

So I decided to redraw, smaller. I'm quite happy with it:

And here it is blown up x5:

Now for some animations!

Getting ready

Running

Stealth/hide

Did these in around 3 days in my spare time, I'm a programmer and by no means an aritst. Let me know what you think, still learning!

EDIT: New sprites

Death

Hurt

Jump

Run

Idle
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 12:28:36 PM by nessGames » Logged
Kramlack
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 08:18:22 PM »

My advice is stop doing edits and make your own art. Even if your new and it's crap, it's better than doing edits. There's plenty of tutorials here to look at that will help you, we even have a sub forum dedicated to references.
nessGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:23:09 PM »

My advice is stop doing edits and make your own art. Even if your new and it's crap, it's better than doing edits. There's plenty of tutorials here to look at that will help you, we even have a sub forum dedicated to references.

I needed test artwork, that was all. Not exactly going to release a game with edited artwork. Although I drew quite a bit of the current sprite, I struggled with the running frames so I used Megaman's sprite for that. I was asking for critique on the colours, shading and overall style mainly.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 11:12:35 PM »

Your mistake is that you made him wthout any background. Also, shading is nonexistent here. You should never use black, there is no much pure black in real life because of light and color reflexion. He should be either dark blue or green.
nessGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 12:04:02 AM »

Your mistake is that you made him wthout any background. Also, shading is nonexistent here. You should never use black, there is no much pure black in real life because of light and color reflexion. He should be either dark blue or green.

Can you elaborate on the background point? I'm not sure what you mean by that exactly. Yeah I've always struggled with shading, which is why I chose code over art. The character himself isn't black, just the outline - I did that deliberately because that's what most games of that era had around their characters. I'm essentially trying to recreate that art and play style. But point taken.
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 03:20:34 AM »

dont do a megaman edit because its FUCKING BORING

-love, da monsta king
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 08:09:04 AM »

Can you elaborate on the background point? I'm not sure what you mean by that exactly. Yeah I've always struggled with shading, which is why I chose code over art. The character himself isn't black, just the outline - I did that deliberately because that's what most games of that era had around their characters. I'm essentially trying to recreate that art and play style. But point taken.

I think he meant that you didn't place him in any context, or on a background of the level, so you don't really know how he'll appear in the level. I make my game sprites with a transparent background, but with non-game sprites, I tend to use a colored background.

Anyway, I think that the sprite uses more colors than necessary, and lacks a light source. By the way, was Megaman the kind of proportions that you wanted for your character? (I'm aware that this is just a temporary edit.)

nessGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 09:12:29 AM »

I think he meant that you didn't place him in any context, or on a background of the level, so you don't really know how he'll appear in the level. I make my game sprites with a transparent background, but with non-game sprites, I tend to use a colored background.

Anyway, I think that the sprite uses more colors than necessary, and lacks a light source. By the way, was Megaman the kind of proportions that you wanted for your character? (I'm aware that this is just a temporary edit.)

I thought so, that was because there is no level art even attempted yet - I mean I've done some mockup tiles way after this thread was posted but other than that nothing.

Yeah I think I could tone down the colours, and once I've got them sorted I can shade properly and add a light source. You got it, I was originally thinking a larger sprite as you can see from the first image but then I changed my mind and wanted an 8-bit-esque art direction.
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 12:17:50 PM »

For a ninja vibe you may want to make use of Airplane Arms / Ninja Run.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:23:22 PM by Chromanoid » Logged
nessGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 12:27:31 PM »

So I've taken into account your feedback, found an artist and this is what they came up with:

Death

Hurt

Jump

Run

Idle

Any other feedback?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic