Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:22:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesProtobytes [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Protobytes [FINISHED]  (Read 22562 times)
scytos
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2008, 01:40:20 PM »

Hi,

We are a team of two and we've decided to give this competition a try. It's our first game and we hope you enjoy it. It's still a work in progress, but we're almost done. It's a demake of the Wii game Elebits. It's not as retro as some of the things we've seen around here, but it's still quite retro.

Here are some screenshots to keep you entertained:

Title screen:

First level:

Edit:

We've had some very frenetic rushing in the last few days, but we've finished it, even though it's not exactly what we've planned. Smiley We're very satisfied with what we've accomplished. We think it's fun and we hope you enjoy it too. Smiley

A few details: we didn't have time to add sound, music and story. Also, one thing you might wonder when playing the game is the existence of lives. There used to be some protobytes that hurt you, but we ended up removing them due to some last minute issues. Also, there are known bugs we didn't have time to fix, we apologize if you happen to catch any of them, and the last levels may not be very well balanced.

Have fun! There will be cake at the end. Wink

Link:
http://willhostforfood.com/users/sct05/protobytes-1.0.zip

Edit: An updated version is on the works. Smiley

How to play (this same screen is also in the game):

Edit:

With all the rushing, we forgot to put the scores necessary to beat each level in the game. If you want to know, here it is:

- Stage 1: 1200
- Stage 2: 2400
- Stage 3: 3000
- Stage 4: 4000
- Stage 5: 5000
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 06:08:17 AM by scytos » Logged
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 02:04:37 PM »

I don't know the original, but let me be the first to say that this looks fucking sweet.
increpare
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 02:34:33 PM »

Ah; I had to look it up, but I actually played that game once.  Cool idea!

I hope your project goes well.
Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 05:16:29 PM »

Elebits/Eledees is an awesome game, good luck!
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 02:25:20 AM »

Lol, Eledees. Good ol' Australia. (That was the only place the name was changed, right?)

Never played it myself, though. Still, this looks so bright and cheerful that you've caught my interest.
scytos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 03:45:40 AM »

According to Wikipedia, it was called Eledees also in Europe.

Nice to see some interest. Smiley It's going fairly well, even though we've been rushing a lot lately. The biggest problem so far is that neither of us really are artists (although we've found that painting pixels is fun Smiley), and a demake of Elebits requires a lot of art per stage.

For anyone interested in technicalities, we're doing it in C++ using SDL and the physics engine Box2D.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 03:52:21 AM »

Elebits in USA, Eledees in Europe.

The Ivy
Level 1

Offices in Miragia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 05:31:46 AM »

This looks adorable! I love the colours. Hmm...I may have to go out and get the original now.
nu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 08:06:27 AM »

good choice, looking forward to seeing what you can put together
Blueberry
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 08:29:25 AM »

My heart just melted. :D
The graphics are wonderful, nice colours and pixelart. Not terribly artistic I guess, but it is very pleasant to watch. The title screen also looks great!

I really liked the idea of Eledees, but I thought the gameplay was unresponsive and had too much focus on time limit. The story was also unsettling:
Oh no! The lights went off! It must be the eledees fault. I'd better deal with this problem on my own. I know. I could borrow my dad's gun and run around in town shooting those critters with it.

The kid was clearly an eledee-racist. I didn't like that he was voiced by a middleaged woman trying to sound like a young boy either.

I have high hopes in this game though!

P.S. I wrote this whole post on my Wii. Talk about hand ache. Wink
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 08:59:35 AM »

Lovely looking art style! Good choice for a demake, too, though I haven't played the original game.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
scytos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 07:06:37 PM »

Finished. Smiley Just a bump, because my edit on the first post didn't bump it up.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »

So cute! The gameplay is surprisingly addictive, and I love the graphics. Shame there isn't any sound. I was surprised by the end of levels, since I couldn't find any indicator of a target score... I wanted to keep playing!

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 10:37:12 PM »

Wonderfully cute!  Beer! It took me a while to notice the red switches and work out what "activated" meant. I should have read the instructions properly.

scytos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 04:54:55 AM »

Noyb: Yes, we forgot that one, sorry. I just put the scores to beat each level on the first post. The target scores may not be very accurate, so it might be a bit frustrating if you wanted to lift something heavy just to find out you can't do that before the level finishes first (stage 4 in particular), but unfortunately the balancing was done a bit too late and we didn't have time to properly tweak these things. Maybe in a future version, if people seem to enjoy it.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 12:34:55 PM »

I just finished this. I like the craziness towards the end.

thewreck
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 05:12:54 PM »

love this game! amazing!

Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 10:26:26 PM »

I didn't like that he was voiced by a middleaged woman trying to sound like a young boy either.

Isn't every young boy?
increpare
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 05:34:21 PM »

Fantastic game dude.  Really really fantastic.  I laughed out loud when the girder structure collapsed and all the dudes popped out.  Erm. Much respect.  A lot of work obviously went into this.  I enjoyed it much more than I enjoyed the original because the first-person view didn't do much for me in it.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 05:44:37 PM by increpare » Logged
Daniel Benmergui
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 05:08:41 PM »

I liked this game of yours a lot...

Daniel.
Ludomancy
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic