Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:36:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Frankie and Monster king CUT THAT PROCRASTINATION SHIT OUT thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: The Frankie and Monster king CUT THAT PROCRASTINATION SHIT OUT thread  (Read 18135 times)
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« on: August 01, 2012, 09:39:01 PM »

Alright guys.
Me and the Monster King we were talking that, were both in a kind of game making slump.
Hes not doing his games, not enough at least. He doesnt want to become ALL TALK.
And im always working on freelance stuff instead of making my game makin dreams a reality.

So here we go. We decided to pledge. We pledge to spend four hours every week day (so five days a week) on our respective game projects until theyre done, giving ourselves the right to give the other a hard time if they dont do their own 4 hours. Every day were going to post details of what weve done here. So this is going to be a weird sorta dual devlog of two completely unrelated sets of games worked on by two people.

We might let others join, but we wont let just anyone in or this topic would become pretty hard to follow, and its going to become problematic to give everyone a hard time if theres too many peeps.

SO OK CMONThe project I am currently working on is a very old one. One that I initially started as part of Mr.Podunkian's action 52 owns community project, from the game NON HUMAN. This is a very old project that is frustratingly close to completion, but I could never find the time to finally slog through the final polish and debug and bonus content crap. Im going to try to finish it up in the coming weeks by spending at least four hours a day on it, and ill report here how its doing!

Heres some things about the project as it is today!
Theres a cool playthrough vid of an older version found on youtube. Theres another Action 52 owns game in there too, space dreams. This is an old version but the overall gameplay is about the same now. Ill upload a more recent vid soonish maybe.

heres some sprites from the game.

Heres a couple vids I made of me working on the current intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWVivwm3aJQ

I didnt work on this for a little while so ill prolly spend a lot of the first day just finding out what exactly I was doing when I stopped last time.

sigfarter
Level 7

卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 09:48:56 PM »

The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »

i wont post details, just the general things i do every day. i like surprises and to surprise, so you will probably only see my actual games when they are done. the posts will be like "did sprites" or "programmed a cool fight"
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 07:37:01 AM »

I found out that there is  generally  a subconscious reason to procrastination. Like you subconsciously know tht ther is something that will be difficult/impossible to finish , or that will take too much time or that the reward will not be worth it or that there is something in the game that doesn't really work (like it's not fun to play )

Meditate uponn yourself and the game and you'll understand your true motives.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 10:35:48 AM »

often its because of boring parts, or hard ones yeah. we must learn to accept the boring parts

i mean i played mmos anyways right
ive grinded in games

this is more thoughtful but there is an analogy

gotta make da GAMES
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 10:53:25 AM »

Speaking of which, I need to put some more effort into my own current projects, haven't felt like working on them lately.
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 11:02:58 AM »

Surprises are necessary, but silence is dangerous. As moi said, leaving areas of the game unfinished and unexplained is a huge reason games fail.

Sounds like a good fit of styles, can't wait to see the games you guys make awwwww yeah.

Chef Boyardee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 11:27:07 AM »

I heard the musician for Non Human is a crap idiot who smells bad and wears a diaper. Is there any truth to this rumor?

Check out my game

FawfulBeans
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 11:54:07 AM »

opening sequence hnnnnghnhghg
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 12:16:58 PM »

I heard the musician for Non Human is a crap idiot who smells bad and wears a diaper. Is there any truth to this rumor?
Hes the one on the left here-

FIRST UPDATE
Spent 3 hours so far on finishing the 11 alternate characters. Right now working on their subweapons. Going to keep working on that today. Im trying to make em feel different enough from one another that it changes how the game is played quite a bit. Next ill be working on their respective heads up displays.

Also, looking at the game again after all this time, some of what was left to do is coming back to me! Ill compile a lil todo list here.
  • Still have to finish the final boss, a lot of its art is still sketchey/not animated/not polished
  • I have the finale of the game to work on, the final area thats exclusive to the highest difficulty level.
  • Two of the hardest difficulty level-exclusive mini bosses arnt done. One is a lil glitchy, the other is just at concept level.
  • Two of the other main game areas (both exclusive to highest difficulty level) dont have background tiles and lack tiling detail.
  • The hardest diff level has another feature still missing, extreme enemies; At regular intervals an enemy is picked to be swapped for a much harder version of it. Thats not done yet.
  • Lots of work left on the games' alternate characters. Some of em have incomplete art, most of them dont have their own set of subweapons, none of them have their unique heads up display, two of them are just at concept level and arnt playable whatsoever yet, all of them except the main character needs some balancing and general tweaking.
  • Got to work on the "ending cinematic" which ties the current game mode into the next higher difficulty level. Quite a bit of animation to do there, and some special effects that im not entirely sure yet how I will do. Will go into more detail when I get at that point.
  • Add the portraits for the character select screen, and other char select screen details.
  • Finish the achievements and medals. Not a very big part of the game, just a lil in-game acknowledgement of having played particularly well or with certain limitations.
  • A lot of work left on the alternate game modes, theyre about halfway done. Theres a shitload of those, I really went overboard when I thought those up, I might cut some of them out or re-think them if theyre not fun enough. This is a very big one, a looot of work here, possibly more than a week's worth, unless I decide to cut a lot out of it.
  • The intro sequence is almost done, but some bits of it have awkward timing. One of the parts of it is slow and weird, not too sure what I was thinking there. Maybe I should add more "moments" to it that would just flash by to make it more fast-paced... got to think about that one.
  • The various game modes and diff levels need their intro pictures. Will wait for all the modes to be finished to start on that obviously.

Theres prolly lots of minor lil bug fixing left too.

rdein
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 12:59:48 PM »

ganbatte man

been waiting since the dawn of time for this baby's completion
Lurdiak
Level 0

the dark side he embraced in his brother's shadow

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 07:32:13 PM »

Hey I'm forcing myself into this pact because I'm a Prickolas and because Frankie and the Monster King's backlogs have delayed collabs they were supposed to do with me  Hand Shake LeftLips Sealed Hand Knife Right and also because we're knuckleheads together in real life. I've literally never finished a project I've started in any medium since longer than I can remember, but I got a good feeling about this one.

I'm recycling a scrapped project's code to make a much smaller scale game. It's a Mega Man fangame, done in the NES style, where you play as Guts Man, a boss from the first Mega man. I'm really doing this more as a learning experience than anything, and also to say I finished something. Still, the core mechanic of Guts Man spawning and throwing blocks to navigate levels and fight enemies is satisfying, so maybe it'll turn out ok. I already had much of the art assets imported in from the previous project(and several custom frames I made myself), as well as things like jump physics, collision detection, damage, animations and gravity coded in, as well as the actual interaction with boulders.

What I've done so far is manage to make an enemy that has something that could generously be called an AI, and code a functional screen transitioning script that will let me divide the one big stage the game will consist of into small challenge rooms, like in the NES Mega Man titles. Frankie helped me pretty much every step of the way, since I am an extreme newb at all of this, so major props to him.

E: Some of the original animations I made for Guts Man.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:40:29 PM by Lurdiak » Logged
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 09:51:33 PM »

Aight. Done about 7-8 hours totes of working on the art for the alt characters, and on some of the animation and their implementation in the game. They're getting there. Ill prolly still work on that tomorrow. Not very exciting right now, I'm a lil rusty on that project. Still have to search a lot whenever I need to do something.

sigfarter
Level 7

卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 09:52:06 PM »

You're going to fail, mwahahaha Cool
Bandages
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 09:54:14 PM »

FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 07:04:27 AM »

Today, still working on the alt characters. Focussing on a specific one today, the first one you can unlock, temp name protobot.

At first, the idea with him was that he'd be kind of a "joke character". It would start out as a very, very good character. Stronger, faster and all around better than the first. But as you play, it starts breaking down and losing pieces, revealing a very shitty piece of junk skeleton of a robot underneath, eventually becoming almost unplayable. Subweapons malfunctioning when you shoot them, the main machinegun overloading or something, thick black smoke coming out of the back. That kind of thing. It would force you to go through the game very fast to stand any chance against the final boss. I'm not sure if im still going to go with that idea, its a kind of funny concept but isnt very fun, and I find its pretty difficult to convey whats happening to the player without outright explaining it in the character select screen (which would kind of ruin it of course).
I got a few ideas for it though, like a weird heads up display panel with a command line-like computer screen that prints out warning messages and goes nuts when the robot starts to break down, bringing attention to that moment so the player notices when a big chunk of the sprite falls off. Or even having the heads up display itself stop working, break down, fall apart. Not sure! Ill just make it a normal robot for now and experiment a little later, see if it works or not.
I didn't draw the driver portraits yet, ill do all of them in one shot later on, but for this guy I was thinking of a smarmy, flippant hero parody sort of character with a perpetual shit-eating grin and sleek hair. You know the type.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 07:12:00 AM by FrankieSmileShow » Logged

Kinasin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 09:51:19 AM »

Right on, kick some ass on this game and get it finished up.  Hand Fork Left Hand Knife Right
Lurdiak
Level 0

the dark side he embraced in his brother's shadow

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 09:35:36 PM »

Spent most of the night fixing glitches in the mechanics and fiddling with projectile rules.
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 08:53:51 AM »

Doing more work today! Again on the alt characters.
While working on all of that stuff I decided to cut half of the alt characters I had thought of, picking the six more interesting/different ones and merging some of the concepts together. The goal here is that every one of them feels like it changes the game enough to go through it again.

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 03:58:28 PM »

I love getting to read your ideas for some of these characters.
Really like the idea of the robot breaking down and getting worse as he keeps going.

As always Frankie, your animations are sexy and stellar.
Can't wait to see everything in motion guys.  Kiss

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic