Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:34:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Frankie and Monster king CUT THAT PROCRASTINATION SHIT OUT thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: The Frankie and Monster king CUT THAT PROCRASTINATION SHIT OUT thread  (Read 18216 times)
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2012, 02:34:26 PM »

Spiderbot's heads up display is kinda done

Did lots of work on the robot itself too, finishing up its subweapons and polishing the main attack.

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2012, 08:06:13 PM »

I hold myself to the much less ambitious standard of doing some sort of work on your game every day. It may be as short as 10 minutes on a given day, but getting into the habit generally gets me to work on it a few hours on each day where it's feasible.

Today I happened to work about 4-6 hours though, thanks to a lot of feedback encouraging me to fix some stuff.

Lurdiak
Level 0

the dark side he embraced in his brother's shadow

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »

So much tiling today, it feels good to finally make the game look good instead of being a hideous white room full of featureless blocks. Some camera adjustments, some enemy AI tweaking, and most importantly I managed to standardize my game's tiles to the right proportions.

I hold myself to the much less ambitious standard of doing some sort of work on your game every day.

That's a lot more than Monster King has been doing.  Well, hello there!
Bandages
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2012, 10:30:55 PM »

That's a lot more than Monster King has been doing.  Well, hello there!

BURN
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2012, 11:42:19 PM »

I made myself a rule that I have to do some game-making before I do anything else on the computer each day.
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2012, 01:08:07 AM »

Going to sleep. Today I mostly worked on the spiderbot's regular melee attack, giving it a good timing, just the right range and putting a pause in your movement while its going off. Theres also a slight delay before the attack connects. To compensate, the attack is very strong, has a strong knockback effect and damages all enemies in range unlike projectiles which hit just one. I also did some more work on spiderbot's hud, and fixed some more things in general.

The spiderbot has proper subweapons now too. Shurikens, throwing knives, a boomrang, a grenade and a sort of strong beam attack. Theyre weaker than the main character's own, but cheaper to use. Theyre meant as a "safe" alternative to your main weapons. I also got the shield thing to work; you press the attack button while crouching to eat up 10 subweapon ammo to generate a temporary shield that slowly drains itself. Getting hit with the shield on makes it drain faster, but leaves your health intact. It should allow the player to be more bold with using the dangerous short range melee attack. Also, the spider robot takes three times more damage than the normal one, so using that shield is pretty important. I think im starting to like the gameplay as the spiderbot, but it still needs work.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 01:13:21 AM by FrankieSmileShow » Logged

FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2012, 12:49:16 AM »

Another days over. Did lots of minor tweaking on both Protobot and Spiderbot. Chef has tried both of em out and had some feedback on em, which made for further tweaking. I like where they are both at right now, theyre both fun and satisfying to play with in different ways.

Next I need to do some additional, minor art for both. The computer terminals used to upgrade them need their own icons. I also need to make the spiderbot's interface more clear. Subweapon pickups need their own icons for them too, subweapons being different for each robot.

Then Ill start working on robot 4, Electroz. Its an electric-themed robot with a hardhat that has multi-directionnal shooting at a very high rate, and which shares its shooting ammo with its life as the same variable.

sigfarter
Level 7

卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2012, 12:58:32 AM »

i'm counting down the days to failure
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2012, 03:00:29 PM »

Heres Electroz, the next one im working on. Fairly straightforward, as I mentionned earlier his deal is that his life and ammo are the same variable, so shooting essentially hurts you, but any ammo pickup heals you. Also, hes got a thing where holding up or down moves the aim of the shooting, making him the only character that doesnt just aim forwards. Otherwise hes still a bit more generic than the two other robots though. Protobot and especially spiderbot feel a lot more "unique". I might have to think of ways to make his gameplay stand out a little more. For now though ill just work on finishing the current idea, and see if I get any more ideas meanwhile. I think I might keep him from moving while shooting, too.

Today I did some more tweaks on spiderbot. Gameplaywise, spiderbot seems to be about done now.

Lurdiak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2012, 11:50:54 PM »

Refined the enemy spawning/despawning code(now you can kill the same enemy over and over by running back and forth), created an item drop script, created a system that keeps track of lives, added a game over screen, fixed several small bugs, fixed some formatting issues, changed Guts Man's running speed, added several sound effects, created a teleport-in sequence with a flashing "READY", tried out some basic level design, optimized some of my code, made pre-placed one-ups not respawn when you lose a life. I probably did some other stuff, too, I've been working on this game for hours every day since saturday so it all blurs together.
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2012, 12:12:59 AM »

made the sprites be friends

this is a very friendly game

you will see

more on that 2morrow
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2012, 12:54:45 AM »

Continued work on Electroz, his main weapon is almost done but I need to tweak its power around. It becomes terrifingly strong once you upgraded it enough! It goes from a rapidfire gun to a thick continuous beam of death. Next I move on to making its subweapons. Theyre not as important to him, acting more as a panic button than a regular weapon; his main weapon takes a while to wind up (in a similar style to many gatling guns in games), making you very vulnerable if enemies suddenly pop out and you arnt already firing. Thats when subweapons will be most useful for him, as they can be fired instantly at any time and pack a good wallop. Those subweapons are very inefficient with power though, so relying on them too much is dangerous, and will leave you without power quickly. His power also serving as his life, I think it makes for a fairly solid dynamic.

FawfulBeans
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2012, 04:43:56 AM »

i've been being a lazy shit so I'm going to join in with this. all i'm going to do is at leastsomething every day and finally finish my long overdue game.

:edit:

wat i did:

-fade out music in menu
-made a simple program to help determine music length in bytes
-not much
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 03:45:51 PM by FawfulBeans » Logged
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2012, 04:09:07 PM »

Welcome to the Stop That Procrastination Bullshit Club fawfulbeans.

Almost done with Electroz today. Im soon ready to move on to the next robot, the steam engine. Balanced electroz so that I can beat Extreme mode with it, yet it still feels very challenging. It turns out Electroz wont have subweapons, he doesnt really need them, they felt tacked-on and you never really think of using them.

Heres what the steam engine looks like:

that isnt quite what the animation looks like in-game though, its animated in separate parts with smoke and stuff, I just slapped together some of the parts in one gif file for the preview. The real one is more shaky.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 04:20:29 PM by FrankieSmileShow » Logged

Lurdiak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2012, 08:16:54 PM »

Fixed a bug where you could spawn boulders on enemies, trapping them. That's it for now.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2012, 05:34:59 AM »

omg trap-them ripoff

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
FawfulBeans
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2012, 01:36:21 PM »

-put sum music in gam
-fixed some issues with keyboard mapping menu
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2012, 07:17:39 PM »

Continued work on steambot. Current idea is vague, but we'll see. An awkward robot to control which has an extremely powerful ramming attack when you double tap forward, and has a slow but strong main gun.

Lurdiak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2012, 09:34:52 PM »

Added a mettall helper that behaves like Eddie the Fliptop. Health's not letting me do much more today.
FawfulBeans
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2012, 03:14:53 PM »

-tweaked some music stuff
-added fade in/out for a section
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic