Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 06:49:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessGoing Places
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Going Places  (Read 919 times)
GeoffW
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: August 03, 2012, 02:40:25 AM »

So I'm aware that I should probably be doing more stuff in the real world to promote my game, The Trouble With Robots (www.digitalchestnut.com/trouble/).  I'm thinking about going to events, perhaps talking at them, showing off my game, handing out stuff ... or simply networking.  I'm not really sure what the best thing to do is, or when (my game comes out on the 23rd of August).  I also have a very limited budget for this kind of thing.

Another question is which events are most worthwhile for an indie PC developer.  I'm in the UK, so the most realistic possibilities coming up might be:

Edinburgh Interactive (09/08/12 - 11/08/12, Edinburgh) - very soon, quite a way to travel
EuroGamer Expo (27/09/12 - 30/09/12, London) - easy to get to
GameCity (20/10/12 - 27/10/12, Nottingham)

Please share your experiences!

tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 03:42:00 AM »

Dude, you're near London/Cambridge which is Europe's PRIME hub for indie game devs. Checkout TigJam UK and the super friendship club, start attending all the meetups and jams in your area (that happen very frequently) and ask the plethora of experienced and helpful indies that are practically your NEIGHBORS for that advice instead of us Smiley

Seriously, you are probably in one of the most advantageous locales possible.

GeoffW
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 01:40:20 AM »

Dude, you're near London/Cambridge which is Europe's PRIME hub for indie game devs. Checkout TigJam UK and the super friendship club, start attending all the meetups and jams in your area (that happen very frequently) and ask the plethora of experienced and helpful indies that are practically your NEIGHBORS for that advice instead of us Smiley

I appreciate your advice, but are game jams really the best place to be to promote an existing game?  They look like loads of fun and I'd love to go (in fact I entered the 7DRL contest a few years ago and made 'A Quest Too Far'), but right now I only have so much time.

tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 09:30:52 AM »

Promoting a game doesn't mean showing it to players. If we're talking an indie game here the best promotion you can do is show it to a lot of (more or less famous/networked) indie developers and get their support behind you.

The more contacts you have the more likely there to be this guy that knows a guy that writes for RPS and wants to do an interview with you cause your friend played your game with him and showed him how awesome it is.

So yes, meetups, jams, every place where you meet other devs & maybe journalists is good to attend.

GeoffW
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 01:13:14 PM »

Promoting a game doesn't mean showing it to players. If we're talking an indie game here the best promotion you can do is show it to a lot of (more or less famous/networked) indie developers and get their support behind you.

I hadn't really thought about it like that.  In any case I clearly aren't going to enough of these kinds of things.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic