Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411501 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:59:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesI did something...!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: I did something...!  (Read 25422 times)
Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 06:41:53 PM »

We had originally had up and down change your rope length and have space as jump, but it was too hard to spin all the way around without using w and s to aid your spin and it just seemed less complex to cut the controls down to asdw and mouse.

we might still play with that idea again for the full game, also S will be used to pick up stuff once you gain that ability. there's really a ton we have planned for the final game, but i dont think we will be able to get serious about the development till next year.

Spoiler
----

----
but fyi, in the final game this flash version will basically be the intro to the game. after the earth breaks and the kid is lost in space, the galaxy expands and you gain the ability to get off your monster on planets. when a planets "core" puzzle is solved a door opens up that just big enough for the boy to enter alone. entering the planets core sends the boy into a platformer level build around a circle. at the end of each platform level is a memory, with each memory you find another earth is born and grows larger. the game ends when your large enough to enter the door to the house on earth.

there would also be a ton more planets, 2-3 puzzles on each different and abilities you learn that play out "metriod" style. thats the goal anyway Smiley

we will see how this pans out next year i guess.

-Edmund

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 07:25:37 PM »

I tried playing it, but there was too much lag. My controls were HIGHLY unresponsive and it was difficult just getting off the first planet.

Which is a damn shame because it feels so whimsical. Wouldn't you know of some way to help me improve the performance? Or maybe release a version that lets me decrease the rendering quality like in other flash games? That tends to work wonders for me in flash games.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 07:44:14 PM »

melly, download the standalone version
http://armorgames.com/misc/downloads/aether.zip

the exe and mac versions should run 2x as fast, you can also make the window smaller to up performance. ( and hitting Q in the flash version will lower the detail)
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 08:33:45 PM »

This is really lovely, I think I just played it for an hour (!?). It was so satisfying once I got the hang of the swinging and just relaxed, the movement was so easy.

I don't know if this was lag (was playing the stand-alone) but it seemed like on the second (yellow?) planet I went to it was harder to release the tongue and then grab another cloud as quickly as I was doing on the first planet.

Also on occasion I would go into a sort-of unstoppable bounce.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 12:32:44 AM »

We had originally had up and down change your rope length
You could use the mouse scroll for that, I think
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 01:06:07 AM »

i loved it, also you know, i love tiny planets with funny faces (as i'm using them on my game too)

very relaxing game  Smiley

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 01:52:32 AM »

Wow, you're not kidding when you say that this is a personal game, as I can sense all the insecurities you had when you were a kid, withdrawn in your own inner world. Unless I'm just projecting. It's fantastic, it kind of reminds me of The Little Prince.

Mechanics-wise, the only thing that didn't feel 'right' for me was the effect of pressing down or up when hanging with the tongue. Common sense would suggest that one should be able to swing from side to side but not by pressing up and down, so this was a problem for me at times, as I tended to hold up (W), which meant that I was not keeping my momentum.

I also experienced lag and slowdowns toward the end of the game, and I was playing the executable on Windows.

increpare
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 02:34:25 AM »

I really really enjoyed it dude.  One issue I had was that the colours were a bit uncomfortably (squint-inducingly) washed out on my macbook...especially for the navigation flies: they were so light that in my head they all just registered as 'pastel' and I could never remember which one corresponded to which planet.
medieval
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 06:09:53 AM »

absolutely lovely. the kind of game that will stick onto you for a while because of the lonely mood.

One thing though; I still had input lag on the standalone version. Other than that it's still great!
Hinchy
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 09:31:36 AM »

oh man, i loved it so much, i dreamt about it all last night.  Cry
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 12:20:59 PM »

I love it. It's so hearbreaking when The other people remain depressed even after you bring life back to a planet.

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2008, 12:42:56 PM »

I absolutely adore gravity based game play. I only got to play with this game the littlest bit, but if it's as good as it seems I'm going to have to make this my new obsession until I beat it.

Like I need another one.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2008, 06:15:35 PM »

Okay, just finished it so any hope of it being an obsession has passed.

Just about everything to be said about this game has been said, but let me add this. I absolutely love the dynamic of working on the world, and then effortlessly transitioning to traveling between the worlds before returning to the world level again. It's something I'd love to see implemented on other levels as well.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2008, 06:49:17 PM »

Damnit, even with a smaller window and lower quality the controls are just too laggy and unresponsive. I'm sorry but I can't play a game that feels like a shore to me.

Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2008, 08:00:33 PM »

crazy.. what kinda cpu do you have?
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2008, 08:32:49 PM »

wow, that was great. I downloaded it to my comp so I can replay it some more. Great job!
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2008, 09:07:26 AM »

Pentium 4 2.4Ghz. But that doesn't matter now sicne I just can't play the game anyway. Terry had the same issue as I.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2008, 12:23:35 PM »

the controls are just too laggy and unresponsive

I had that problem Sad
Feels like a game that can become great, but it just isn't responsive enough.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Seth
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2008, 01:13:01 PM »

really wonderful
Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2008, 01:38:10 PM »

Pentium 4 2.4Ghz. But that doesn't matter now sicne I just can't play the game anyway. Terry had the same issue as I.

Your pc is faster then mine.. i wonder what the problem is, ive hear people having this issue in the exe but they were all runing it full screen. i have no idea why it would be lagging like that, there shouldnt be a delay on your pc. maybe its just flash Sad
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic