Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 06:23:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesI did something...!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: I did something...!  (Read 25394 times)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2008, 07:55:57 PM »

It's a classic.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Zaphos
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2008, 09:18:46 PM »

Did everybody in TIGS read Little Prince? o.o
I certainly hope so!

If not, it exists here.
(although, technically you shouldn't read it there if you're not Canadian)
(also, the original french version for cool people)
increpare
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2008, 03:33:21 AM »

Hmm, I'd advise you guys to calibrate your monitors. Here:

http://epaperpress.com/monitorcal/index.html
I checked out that page, and my monitor checks out, alas. 
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2008, 06:57:04 AM »

Dude, looks like you're gunning for the #1 slot in the weekly and monthly contests on Kongregate. Good luck with that!
Reiss
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2008, 05:20:44 PM »

this is a good game.  standalone is nice, seems smoother/faster but that might just be my downloadable bias working right there.

controls are a little wonky at first but i like how it's "up" rather than "shorten," even though you mentioned that was more of a technical thing than anything else.  you feel like you're struggling to escape, rather than just swinging around for fun playing with the physics.

also look at this (excerpt from The Little Prince from the link melly posted, maybe only read this if you're canadian?):
"But if you don't tie him," I said, "he will wander off somewhere, and get lost."
My friend broke into another peal of laughter:
"But where do you think he would go?"
"Anywhere. Straight ahead of him."
Then the little prince said, earnestly:
"That doesn't matter. Where I live, everything is so small!"
And, with perhaps a hint of sadness, he added:
"Straight ahead of him, nobody can go very far..."

reminds me of running around the tiny planets.
Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2008, 10:34:40 PM »

Yeah i gotta read that book, i saw the cartoon when i was little.. im pretty sure it was british and gave me the creeps like mostly lonley cartoons from other countries in the 80s Smiley
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2008, 10:00:01 PM »

Here's something we have planned for the sequel, because it seems oh so popular with games recently to do this, we thought we'd cash in on the trend. The main character will become... a warewolf (just like in the recent zelda game and the new sonic game). We are also supporting local bands by letting the local high school band Metal Amputee Zombie Razor do the music for the new one, it will be hard-freaking-core.

Oh ya, and we're going to have the aliens fight back with guns and make it first person too. But don't be alarmed, these changes won't kill the game, in fact we think these kinds of 'innovative' features will widen our target audience.

Pre-Order the collector's edition now (only 12 payments of $179.99) and you'll get a "the making of" DvD and a bonus sticky tongue squirt gun to make all you're friends jealous.

We're still open to suggestions though.

P.S. Hi Edmund (i finally made an account here)
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2008, 10:29:10 PM »

*sits down for story time*
 Shocked

Wonderful. *lol* Maybe the story time should come some time after the full version has been out for a while. I'm really enjoy post-modern and deconstructionist approaches to understanding the creations of others, and adding the creators explanations doesn't ruin anything for me: it enhances my understand and gives me additional viewpoints from which to peer.

I don't think telling the full meaning of the story after the full version is necessarily a good idea, cause I think part of the power in this games story is that on the surface, it's a pretty simple story (the ending makes this really clear), and there's one level of symbols that directly related to the plot of the story, which are pretty easy to understand (the earth shrinking, for instance). But then there's the other meanings for the symbolism in the game, which is shrouded from the player unless they really feel like digging deep to find something, and what is found isn't necessarily the same thing that another person will find. In fact, I don't even think that I see the same thing in the story as Edmund does, just because we have different memories and pasts. That, and he didn't really tell me what he had planned for the deeper meanings until we had to come up with names for the planets (which was after I had them mostly programmed).

Edmund made it really clear that this game is about childhood (he alludes that it's about his childhood in all the press releases). But like, it really could be about anyone's childhood, and what everything means to a specific person is really what he wants to interpret it as. Just because it deviates from what we had "planned" doesn't mean that that interpretation is necessarily wrong, just a different way of looking at things.

Anyway have you ever read a book, got really into it and loved the whole thing, then a movie of it comes out. The movie most likely presents the characters as different than you interpreted them as and imagined them to be. It's happened to me, it's happened to everyone. That's why movies are generally worse than their book forms (except for a few very rare cases). The books leave a lot to the imagination, so people generate their own mental picture of how things are supposed to be, and become disappointed when the director says "no your idea is wrong, this is what the main character is like..." It would be the same thing with this game if we revealed the true meanings of everything after the full game. People that cared would already have their own idea of what everything means, and it would be really weird to suddenly have your ideas changed when the actual symbolic layer is explained. It's like having an english teacher tell you what something means, when you think it actually means something else. Too bad, this is the real meaning.

I don't want people to feel that way. You got enough of that in high school english class. Just interpret it how you think, read what other people think, come to your own conclusion, and convince yourself that that is what we actually intended from the start. The story is much more powerful that way.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic