Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:06:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallNew Side Scrolling Platformer : Stained [Out Now]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: New Side Scrolling Platformer : Stained [Out Now]  (Read 12856 times)
ronyd
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2012, 05:55:10 AM »

Stained is upcoming indie game title from RealAxis software developed using Blender and Ogre3d. Stained is a side-scrolling, platforming and combat action game set in an ancient, mysterious castle featuring detailed 3D environments with a continually changing game world.

Events in Stained are triggered by breaking objects placed in and around the castle, and outcomes are determined by the combination of glass pieces that litter the ground, leading to a variety of experiences. Novel ways to break objects have to be thought of at times, which will keep the player guessing what the next puzzle will be. In any fight in the game victory is usually temporary, as defeated foes may form again, or reassemble to form entirely new ones. The gameplay is fully interactive and physics based – each character’s uncanny abilities have to be kept in mind to think of innovative ways to proceed through the game!

Stained was developed entirely using open-source software. Modelling and level design was done in Blender, the graphics are powered by OGRE, and the Bullet drives the physics engine. The combination results in scintillating gameplay and visuals.

Stained Trailer :

Game Images:
www.stained-thegame.com/gallery

Stained is going to be release in 2012.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 01:49:01 AM by ronyd » Logged
ronyd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 04:26:00 AM »

Some more information is added.
ronyd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 06:07:29 AM »

Hello EveryOne,

Just made the public demo available on our website, It would be nice if some  user can test out stained and let us know their feedback. This demo include 2 stages from our game and should take 15-20 minute to complete.

Download Link : http://www.stained-thegame.com/public-demo

I would appreciate suggestions and feedback.

Thanks
Soundhound
Level 0

Music is my religion.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 04:52:25 PM »

Hi Ronyd,

I downloaded your demo and played the 2 stages, let me give you a run down of what I think and problems I encountered.

Menu:
-Only two resolution options is limiting, having a 1080p screen, I like to use it when possible.
-Video settings were not saved between exiting the game and restarting (specifically anti-aliasing)
-Confusing volume settings, just seems to switch between 1, 34, 67 and 100
-No redefine keys option?

Programming bugs:
-In the resolution I originally chose (1280 x 768) there were a number of programming bugs,
specifically the 4th shard was positioned too high for my character to reach, whereas when I chose the 1024x768 resolution my character could reach it by jumping. Secondly when I tried the fragile heart puzzle in 1280x768 my cursor would not move to the shards. It would just hit an invisible line that made the puzzle impossible. This again was rectified by choosing the lower resolution.

-Sometimes when I would exit the pause menu in game, when I moved it would cause the menu to appear again, then when I hit an arrow key it would go again, this was solvable by making the pause menu appear by moving then pressing escape to leave it normally. This would happen in either resolution.

Graphical bugs: Tablecloth of the fragile heart puzzle is (I presume) meant to move like wind is blowing it? Well at times it would just go a bit crazy and was distracting (this seemed to happen more after the puzzle was solved). The background in general including plants and building scenery would have this weird wavy pattern as if adjusting to my player moving, then if I stood still would wave for about a second then snap into a static position.

Gameplay bugs:
-Is it intentional that I can play the game, collect some shards then save the game, select continue and pick up the same shards again to increase the number I have? It doesn't seem logical to me and defeats the point of collecting them all when I can simply spam the same ones. I used this exploit in fact to get round the problem of the 4th shard being positioned too high for me to reach (until I realized I could use the chandelier to get to it).

-Chandelier is frustrating to jump onto sometimes, as a sprint jump is lower than a static jump therefore can't get onto it that way, but a static jump is unreliable when moving in the air from a static jump, sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. It seems that the position of my character in relation to the chandelier is too finicky.

Gameplay (constructive Wink) criticisms:

-Why have enemies that don't drop shards? I can't remember which pane it is but one of the enemies is summoned from breaking a pane and when it's dead it doesn't drop anything, if it's made of glass why doesn't it drop a shard? That would also give a point to the player actually summoning this things, otherwise on a second playthrough I would just not break the pane if it's not necessary.

-The dragon enemy you first encounter is easy to beat, it's attacks will often go straight through you and do no damage, all I had to do was stand right next to it when it was floating still and jump attack it then follow it to the other side and do the same.

-The puzzle felt unresponsive, rotating the pieces specifically was a bit of a pain.

-The spike pit death was a bit boring, and if I'm the grim reaper, how do I die?

Things I liked  Hand Thumbs Up Right:

-The sprint jump has a nice animation and feels right.
-The attack is quite responsive
-The music has a nice atmosphere to it (what I heard of it anyway)
-The journal bits are nicely written (no spelling / grammar mistakes, Huzzah!)
-The chandelier was cool (once I figured out what I had to do)
-Nice fantasy-esque colour palette

Also here's my Ram, processor, GPU and OS(I presume that's all that's relevant:

Intel i5-2500k @4.3ghz
Ati Radeon HD6950
8GB Patriot Viper Ram
Windows Home Premium 64Bit
ronyd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 12:36:34 AM »

Thank you so much for a detail feedback. This is really going to help us a lot. I also made an entry of your message to our forum where we will update the bug fixes in more details.
http://www.realaxissoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37

Things I liked  :

-The sprint jump has a nice animation and feels right.
-The attack is quite responsive
-The music has a nice atmosphere to it (what I heard of it anyway)
-The journal bits are nicely written (no spelling / grammar mistakes, Huzzah!)
-The chandelier was cool (once I figured out what I had to do)
-Nice fantasy-esque colour palette

Glad you enjoyed it.

-Only two resolution options is limiting, having a 1080p screen, I like to use it when possible.
>>More resolutions are being added, those were the two we tested properly, but it still had some problem in tangram screen when we change the resolution in game.

-Video settings were not saved between exiting the game and restarting (specifically anti-aliasing)
>>Anti-aliasing works only when you exit the game, the settings get saved but everytime you come to that screen demo shows you the best setting that should use. Will change that in final build.

-Confusing volume settings, just seems to switch between 1, 34, 67 and 100
>>Well it is low, medium,high and loud, I think we should just allow to set any number between 1-100.

-No redefine keys option?
>>It will be in final build.

-In the resolution I originally chose (1280 x 768) there were a number of programming bugs,
specifically the 4th shard was positioned too high for my character to reach, whereas when I chose the 1024x768 resolution my character could reach it by jumping. Secondly when I tried the fragile heart puzzle in 1280x768 my cursor would not move to the shards. It would just hit an invisible line that made the puzzle impossible. This again was rectified by choosing the lower resolution.

>> You realize how to collect the 4th shard later so i will skip that.  When we change resolution in-game the mouse hits the invisible line (as mentioned above) this will be rectified immediately.

-Sometimes when I would exit the pause menu in game, when I moved it would cause the menu to appear again, then when I hit an arrow key it would go again, this was solvable by making the pause menu appear by moving then pressing escape to leave it normally. This would happen in either resolution.
>> This is new, I will see if this can be reproduced.

Tablecloth of the fragile heart puzzle is (I presume) meant to move like wind is blowing it? Well at times it would just go a bit crazy and was distracting (this seemed to happen more after the puzzle was solved). The background in general including plants and building scenery would have this weird wavy pattern as if adjusting to my player moving, then if I stood still would wave for about a second then snap into a static position.
>> Have you tried low or medium graphics settings? The wavy pattern was observed on a laptop with no dedicated graphics card but that only appears in highest graphics settings. There are lot of fancy shader running in background the glass effect, the godrays effect on windows etc.. Changing the graphics setting to medium or low should solve that problem.

-Is it intentional that I can play the game, collect some shards then save the game, select continue and pick up the same shards again to increase the number I have? It doesn't seem logical to me and defeats the point of collecting them all when I can simply spam the same ones. I used this exploit in fact to get round the problem of the 4th shard being positioned too high for me to reach (until I realized I could use the chandelier to get to it).
>> That is not intentional (I need to stop that immediately). So finally you realize how to reach the 4th shard Smiley

-
Chandelier is frustrating to jump onto sometimes, as a sprint jump is lower than a static jump therefore can't get onto it that way, but a static jump is unreliable when moving in the air from a static jump, sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. It seems that the position of my character in relation to the chandelier is too finicky.
>> Jump is responsive to how long you hold the spacebar. If you keep it press it will make a high jump, if you just tap it will make small jump. Sprint jump is more useful for wall sliding and combat. I look into that jump issue you faced.

-Why have enemies that don't drop shards? I can't remember which pane it is but one of the enemies is summoned from breaking a pane and when it's dead it doesn't drop anything, if it's made of glass why doesn't it drop a shard? That would also give a point to the player actually summoning this things, otherwise on a second playthrough I would just not break the pane if it's not necessary.
>> There are enemies who drop shards later in game.

-The dragon enemy you first encounter is easy to beat, it's attacks will often go straight
through you and do no damage, all I had to do was stand right next to it when it was floating still and jump attack it then follow it to the other side and do the same.
>>NPC are highly configurable, if we make it difficult to kill some player are finding it too hard to kill dragon and hammerfist (the guy who jumps on you with his fist). The game is going to have two mode simple and hard, In hard mode the enemies will get tougher.

-The puzzle felt unresponsive, rotating the pieces specifically was a bit of a pain.
>> Is it? We could increase the mouse rotating sensitivity.

-The spike pit death was a bit boring, and if I'm the grim reaper, how do I die?
>> You look like a grim reaper but it will get clear to you who you really are in the end.

It was nice you tested it so thoroughly, I really appreciate your feedback and will fix the problem you faced.  
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 01:05:12 AM by ronyd » Logged
Soundhound
Level 0

Music is my religion.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 06:55:32 AM »

No problem at all, I wish you success on release of the full game  Gentleman
ronyd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 06:27:41 AM »

Thanks! One other thing the difficulty level in demo was set to low that is why it felt easy to kill the stained monsters.

Would you be interested in testing the full version of game? If yes please come to our forum here : http://www.realaxissoftware.com/forum/

send me message my username is (Clock-Boss)

ronyd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 06:15:16 AM »

Hi there,

I just updated the demo of stained, if you have already played old demo then i will encourage you to try the combat in this one. Initially we thought not to include medium or high difficulty in demo but now the combat difficulty is increased to medium. I assure you will feel the difficulty.

Download link : http://www.stained-thegame.com/public-demo

[bug fixed]
Changing Resolution problem in tangram editor : Fixed
mouse selection in tangram editor not very accurate : Fixed
Input Control configuration missing : fixed (now there is a configuration file where you can change the controls)

[Enhancement]
Visual feedback during the combat got some enhancement.
A difficulty level added to the combat now.

Also if you have liked stained so far please rate up on greenlight page.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=92920386
ronyd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 01:48:34 AM »

Hi There,

Stained is out now on Gamespot and Desura at $9.99.

links:
http://www.impulsedriven.com/stained
http://www.desura.com/games/stained

& yes we have not been greenlit yet on steam so a little push might help.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92920386

Thanks
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic