Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:46:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsForgotten Star Wii Homebrew
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Forgotten Star Wii Homebrew  (Read 5147 times)
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« on: September 03, 2008, 07:25:35 PM »

Hey everyone, thought I'd post this somewhere in case it becomes vaporware. I'm hoping to compete in TehSkeen's Wii Homebrew coding contest which ends November 15th. I was thinking of a Knytt style game, I really enjoy the simplistic art style (and I can mimic it because I'm a much better coder :D )

So first with a quick mockup of the first scene you see, a little sprite test, and a drawing I did on my DS via Colors!

DS drawings:

Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 07:49:53 PM »

And now a quick design idea of how to incorporate the Wii with this game:

Platform:
   Nintendo Wii using the Devkitpro installer on Linux, libogc and the Wii library functions. I'll package the Elf for the Homebrew Loader so anyone with Zelda Wii hack and Homebrew Channel can run it.

Development Environment:
    Ubuntu 8.04, The Gimp, Code::Blocks IDE for C++ development, Musagi by DrPetter, Patriot 2GB SD card and Wii of course :D

Control scheme:
   Nintendo Nunchuck is used to move the main character. Controls are left moves left depending on how far you press it, right same thing, and Z trigger allows you to jump. Up and Down are used primarily for climbing ladders.
   Nintendo Wiimote is used to interact with various objects on the screen, use the grappling hook (Adam has inspired me with his game), shake to get out of sticky situations, maybe some other gimmicks that I haven't thought of yet. There are a lot of fun things you can do, and I plan to use at least a few of them.

Gameplay:
    Forgotten Star (working title) will be a 2D side scroller like the screenshot shows. I will be using a very simple art style, and hopefully I'll throw some fun physics into the mix to make it a bit more than Knytt. The game will also involve a lot more action and possible a hit point counter (undetermined at this point which would be better), along with save points along the way.

Story:
    You start as the small yellow creature, known as Star. Star is fishing on the back of his hut, when suddenly the world shakes, the sky darkens, and a small boat washes up on the side of Star's small island. Star walks over to the cliff looking over at the boat, trying to get grips with the situation, when the world begins to shake again. Star is thrown over the cliff, lands on the boat, and off it goes through the water.
     Star wakes up on the side of an island unfamiliar to him, and the player finds themselves uncertain of whats going on. A few screens later, the player finds a long ladder extending to the sky. Climbing the ladder, the player has their first puzzle...

Some problems I'm going to run into: very little experience with the libogc, limited time to develop this whole thing, lack of an artist, music, or anyone else in the project. Who knows if I have time to finish this thing, but thought I'd post a little bit of a brain dump and see how everyone thought about this. Feel free to comment/suggest any cool ideas you have, I'll try to get a demo up and running.

Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 08:14:36 PM »

If you need a pixel artist, im your man! I also know a great musician!

If not! good luck, it looks great; I'd love to make some stuff for the Wii.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 12:54:29 AM »

looks good!
i personally dislike some colors, like the deep blue water,  but you nailed the "knytt" style pretty well

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 02:49:07 AM »

Yeah I'm looking forward to this. If there's anything I can do to help Smiley

cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 07:19:48 AM »

I've been looking for some new homebrew stuff for my Wii. I'll check it out once you're done.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 07:55:00 AM »

Sounds like a great concept. For my taste the colors in the mockup are a bit too saturated, too much contrast, but whatever. Knytt with more gameplay? Hell yeah.
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 10:16:15 AM »

Oracle: will be sending a PM momentarily, I could definitely use an artist to help me out on this one. If your music friend does not mind a lot of critiques and doing some odd requests then I am game.

Eclipse: yeah, color scheme is still in question. I like the pastel colors a lot, but I might leave certain areas pastel, and see if I can get away with using more primary colors for other parts of the game.

Hideous & cyber95: you have a Wii, Zelda, and an SD Card? If so, let me know and I'll put you on a testers email.

Muku: Yeah I'm going to work around with the color scheme, hopefully Oracle has a better eye for graphics than I do :D I enjoy making art, but I am definitely a programmer first.

Also, here's an idea for the antagonist that follows Star.

Antagonist's Story
As Star reaches the top of the ladder, he finds himself walking onto the top of what appears to be a huge flying submarine. The player then finds an open hatch to move Star into, and suddenly Star is inside of the air ship. After exploring all of the entries and solving a puzzle to get into the master room, Star walks in, and the computer activates, asking for ID. Star makes a little squeak noise, the computer reads "ID ACQUIRED, AUTO-PILOT ENGAGED" and the ship flies off and takes Star to the next destination.
However, silhoutted against the island below, another creature that looks like Star but is a pinkish purple and has a cloak with glowing stars in it stares up at the airship. The figure's silhoutte fades into the actual figure staring at the ship and looking peeved, then the next scene commences.

Possible mockup for Star's Antagonist:

« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 10:53:33 AM by Cthulhu32 » Logged

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 11:18:05 AM »

I have a Wii with the Homebrew Channel installed, and I regularly use homebrew on my wii, so yeah, I can run it Smiley

cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 05:15:04 PM »

Wii with Homebrew Channel installed. I don't have LoZ (I rented it once exclusively for the purposes of installing the Homebreew Channel), but I don't need it as long as I have the Homebrew Channel. Just found my SD card that I use for Homebrew, too, so I'm all good.

Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 08:20:36 PM »

Alright cool, Cyber95 & Hideous, I'll start sending you guys testing elfs when I get them building. This weekend/next week is Pyweek, so I'll start on this project after i finish that up, and it looks like Oracle is down for some art lovin. So hopefully all will go well and this project will get rolling soon.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 01:05:29 AM »

Sounds awesome.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic