Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:43:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBonfire - comes out March 26!!!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Bonfire - comes out March 26!!!  (Read 40234 times)
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2013, 08:51:22 AM »

The demo will be pretty limited compared to the one you've played. The full build will be fairly similar, just far more polished and with some new content. The list of changes since the last alpha is over 70 items long.

The most dedicated testers (including you) will get the game for free, though. I really appreciate all the feedback I got and it was immensely helpful Smiley.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2013, 09:00:57 AM »

The demo will be pretty limited compared to the one you've played. The full build will be fairly similar, just far more polished and with some new content.
Alright, cool.

The most dedicated testers (including you) will get the game for free, though. I really appreciate all the feedback I got and it was immensely helpful Smiley.
Awesome, thanks! I've still been playing the game so that's pretty exciting news. And thanks to the 70 changes or so, looks like I've got a bit to look forward to. Smiley

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2013, 09:05:10 AM »

No problem. Pretty much everything you and the testers on our forums mentioned has been addressed in this way or another, so I think you'll like the changes Smiley.

Tom Grochowiak
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2013, 01:50:24 AM »

The game comes out next week. Here's more info on how the alpha funding thing is going to work exactly.

And the most recent screenie:

Tom Grochowiak
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2013, 03:24:35 AM »

http://moacube.com/news/bonfire-is-out/

Tom Grochowiak
Uykered
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2013, 04:39:24 AM »

Lots of nice effects, feels a lot better than I thought it would from the screens. Its very nicely made! Was devastated to find no fullscreen option though, so tiny!
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2013, 05:37:33 AM »

Awesome! Really getting the hang of the starting party now. I beat the short journey and the Challenge of the Dead on my first try for each. :D

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2013, 06:33:26 AM »

Lots of nice effects, feels a lot better than I thought it would from the screens.

Can you elaborate what was the problems with the screens? Maybe something we can fix?

Tom Grochowiak
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2013, 06:39:29 AM »

guessing, i think it has to do with the particle explosion effect looking better in motion; in screenshots it's just plain circles

anyway, let me know when you add my idea for an unlimited or random mode!

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2013, 10:22:55 AM »

Hey! Told you I wanted to add random infinite dungeon since the beginning. Now, if I implement it, you will go around telling people it was your idea all along! Just like with Minecraft's title!

It's time to say "NO!" to your reptilian shapeshifting tyranny, Paul!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:31:48 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2013, 10:29:36 AM »

if you make him angry he won't be holding from transforming anymore   Epileptic

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2013, 02:40:55 PM »

ya but it was my idea to change the characters randomly between levels in it so i think i deserve at least 87.5% of profits

actually did you know that the reason game companies legally don't want you to send them ideas for games is that they feared people suing them over those ideas if they were to one day use them? i'm not sure if this is still the case but nintendo used to return any game idea letters unread to their sender with a note saying that they cannot accept game ideas

Uykered
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2013, 03:38:46 PM »

I just didn't expect it would be as lively as it, I thought it might be more like early SNES Final Fantasy games where it's fairly static in comparison.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2013, 07:03:23 PM »

Yeah this is put together quite well, well done! Smiley

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2013, 08:49:16 PM »

the demo is GREAT. definitely want it for iPad, i think it would be an ideal mobile game.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: April 17, 2013, 03:43:18 AM »

Thanks, everyone! Glad you like it. I'll make some gifs and/or a gameplay video as soon as I get some time

Quote from: Reptillian Shapeshifter
actually did you know that the reason game companies legally don't want you to send them ideas for games is that they feared people suing them over those ideas if they were to one day use them? i'm not sure if this is still the case but nintendo used to return any game idea letters unread to their sender with a note saying that they cannot accept game ideas
Yeah. It's still the case.

Btw, do you guys know any good places to promote a roguelike-like? I'm totally new to the scene, and I'm sure this niche has its favorite places just like VN readers do.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:22:36 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: April 17, 2013, 03:58:11 PM »

There's a few, but I don't think you'll have much success there, as roguelike means something much more specific in these places. Your game reminds me more of a final fantasy type game than a roguelike, so maybe advertise in those types of communities?

Some roguelike communities/blogs:
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/
http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com.au/
http://doryen.eptalys.net/

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2013, 07:23:03 PM »

I purchased Bonfire immediately and I'm not surprised to find it incredibly satisfying. I love these types of games, and I have to say, the design for this one is particularly elegant. The rules are fairly simple, but they allow for deep strategy. It seems well-suited to a mobile port down the line.

I'm still getting into it, but my favorite team right now is Mage + Countess + Knight. It's a flexible team that has a number of powerful options at its disposal.

The obvious combo is that the Countess can shriek to delay enemies, giving the Mage time to charge its magic. Then the Mage buffs the Countess, making the shriek even more powerful. The result is that enemies act infrequently and take loads of damage from all 3 characters.

For a more defensive strategy, the Knight can defend the Mage and the Mage can buff the Countess. Both potential targets end up with great armor, and the Countess is fairly effective at healing any damage they take. All the while, the characters whittle down the enemies' health.

This team is also pretty effective when facing enemies that cancel buffs, like the Crystal Golem. The Knight and the Countess both handle themselves pretty well without buffs, and even the Mage isn't completely worthless.

The cheesiest win for me so far involved a fight against a Dragon. Two of my characters were killed, and I was left with just the Knight. But the Knight had used two sets of magic armor during the quest, and I realized she could recover health more quickly than the Dragon could damage her. It took forever, but she was able to kill the Dragon single-handedly.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2013, 07:29:19 PM »

yeah i actually think armor is too strong / important right now. if you have a lot of armor you can beat anything, and the best teams tend to be those which have or can create a lot of armor. the difference between 20 armor and 40 armor is huge, whereas the difference between 20 and 40 attack or special is negligible, so if you are upgrading characters' stats it's best to go for armor first, and then speed second

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2013, 10:41:14 PM »

Quote from: Paul Eres
the difference between 20 armor and 40 armor is huge, whereas the difference between 20 and 40 attack or special is negligible
Actually, the difference between them is exactly the same. Armor simply gets subtracted from attack during damage calculation. So, if you buff attack by 20, it's exactly the same as if all enemies had 20 less armor.

I think the problem comes from the fact that survivability is more important for the player team than damage is. If you don't kill an enemy in this turn, he'll act in another one. But if your hero dies, you lose 1/3 of your action output for all turns to come.

I think I'll look into armor/attack balance at some point. Probably even for the next update. It's just something that requires pretty extensive testing to get right.

Tom Grochowiak
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic