Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 03:06:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBonfire - comes out March 26!!!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Bonfire - comes out March 26!!!  (Read 40228 times)
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: June 21, 2013, 01:10:52 PM »

I never got why people get so anal about genre definitions (roguelikes especially). But they do, so I started labeling the game as a tactical RPG with roguelike elements, rather than a roguelike.

Personally, I think it simply describes the gameplay well. My goal was to turn a jRPG battle system into a roguelike, so there's a lot of common elements. There's the heavy emphasis on randomness, resource management, and challenge. The game is vaguely a fantasy RPG and it's turn based. And when you die, you die. It's in a similar vein to FTL, Spelunky, Rogue Legacy or any other game that links roguelike responsibilities with a different gameplay loop. Call it a roguelike-like or roguelike-inspired if you want.

this game is mega fun, buying now

Cheers  Beer!

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: June 22, 2013, 09:12:34 AM »

I never got why people get so anal about genre definitions (roguelikes especially).

I suspect it's because roguelike fans are looking for a certain type of experience, one that involves a lot of exploration and discovery. I enjoyed Bonfire, but it pretty clearly fills a different role and provides a different sort of experience (one which I'd say is closer to a dungeon in a standard jRPG, albeit minus the need to navigate a maze).

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 22, 2013, 01:09:23 PM »

I never got why people get so anal about genre definitions (roguelikes especially).

I suspect it's because roguelike fans are looking for a certain type of experience, one that involves a lot of exploration and discovery. I enjoyed Bonfire, but it pretty clearly fills a different role and provides a different sort of experience (one which I'd say is closer to a dungeon in a standard jRPG, albeit minus the need to navigate a maze).

expectant experiences is precisely what genres are useful for. but, it's actually a good thing that bonfire doesn't really fit in a category, that means you're onto something. it's a really great battle system.

I used to play a lot of jrpgs and I can't stand them nowadays because most of the battle systems(there are exceptions) just feels like there is usually no threat of failure and so play ends up with a lot of mashing buttons until it's over. this game has has depth and moves very quickly, and can be real deadly, all huge enough improvements to me over traditional jrpg battlesystems to merit it's own unnamed genre.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: June 25, 2013, 08:59:02 AM »

This is where it gets fuzzy, as for me Bonfire is precisely the "roguelike experience". Only achieved with a jRPG-like battle system instead of the traditional top-down approach. Randomness, difficulty, and the necessity to live (or die) with the consequences of your actions is what defines a roguelike to me. That's why I find FTL to be very roguelike-ish. Even if it plays differently from ADoM, it gives me a similar kind of kick.

But for someone else exploration may be a crucial component, and it's really hard to argue that it isn't -- after all, we're talking experiences here. Those are heavily personal and different people focus on different things. That's why I don't really put too much weight into genre descriptions, as long as I can get the general gist of how the game plays.

That's why I wonder why roguelike players in specific are so defensive about their genre. I've seen total shitstorms regarding if Spelunky or FTL can be considered RLs or not. Maybe it's something related to the hardcore and somewhat elite pedigree of the genre?

Tom Grochowiak
Cloudiest Nights
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 25, 2013, 10:10:06 AM »

I KNEW this game looked familiar! I didn't know MoaCube was on TIG, but now that I do I can and will follow the development of the game here!

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 25, 2013, 10:55:01 AM »

This is where it gets fuzzy, as for me Bonfire is precisely the "roguelike experience". Only achieved with a jRPG-like battle system instead of the traditional top-down approach. Randomness, difficulty, and the necessity to live (or die) with the consequences of your actions is what defines a roguelike to me. That's why I find FTL to be very roguelike-ish. Even if it plays differently from ADoM, it gives me a similar kind of kick.

But for someone else exploration may be a crucial component, and it's really hard to argue that it isn't -- after all, we're talking experiences here. Those are heavily personal and different people focus on different things. That's why I don't really put too much weight into genre descriptions, as long as I can get the general gist of how the game plays.

That's why I wonder why roguelike players in specific are so defensive about their genre. I've seen total shitstorms regarding if Spelunky or FTL can be considered RLs or not. Maybe it's something related to the hardcore and somewhat elite pedigree of the genre?

for me the elements that I'd consider rogue-like can be summed up as permadeath, turnbased, and exploring random places. all three elements reinforces and works well together.

as far as permadeath goes this means you die you start over. spelunky is arguably not roguelike based on this, it is more like mario with one life , so hardcore platformer. also spelunky and your game both has continuity. you may die and have to start the level over, but the more you play the more you progress. the challenge is to succeed but there is no fear of death in either game.

the turnbased play and exploring random places are the other two parts that make up a roguelike. without all three elements it's no really a roguelike, though I'd agree with roguelike inspired.

all this said, bonfire is still a really good game.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: June 26, 2013, 03:27:26 AM »

Then again, Shiren The Wanderer also had continuity and I'd consider it a classic roguelike. I think we'll see more modern RLs with some variant of it, just like most of them feature graphics now (and I still remember times when only ascii-art games could be considered roguelikes). I see games like Desktop Dungeons as the evolution of the genre -- more in touch with modern design responsibilities -- rather than something entirely different.

Of course, that's all aside from Bonfire and what it is or isn't. It's just an interesting discussion on its own Smiley.

Tom Grochowiak
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: June 27, 2013, 02:19:26 AM »

One of the new bosses. The Bladewolf! As in: a wolf made of blades.

Sif ain't got shit...  Cool

Tom Grochowiak
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: June 29, 2013, 06:01:47 AM »

And the second new boss - The Djinn.

Tom Grochowiak
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: July 02, 2013, 10:38:06 AM »

The upcoming build will also bring difficulty modes, in case someone is interested in a more relaxing carnage. Because why not.

Tom Grochowiak
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: August 07, 2013, 02:28:42 PM »

Update 0.9 is live! Huge-big list of changes.

Coolest new addition is certainly the new Endless Mode. Simple premise: get as far as possible in a procedurally generated infinite quest. With two twists: dead characters stay dead and are replaced by your other unlocked heroes, and at some points you can decide to finish your run and get the spoils or risk going further for a bigger reward. It's currently my favorite way to play the game. Getting very strong roguelike vibes from it. Some credit goes to Paul Eres here for the hero replacing idea.

There are also new heroes, quests, bosses, items, and countless tweaks. And a fullscreen mode, if that's what floats your boat Smiley.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Tom Grochowiak
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: August 07, 2013, 02:51:45 PM »

don't forget to send me a copy Sad

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 07, 2013, 03:43:21 PM »

yea man, checking it out.

also note for anyone else who needs to update, don't search for moacube in your email, search for bonfire or bmt. took awhile for me to figure out which email account I bought this with.

small bug: in portrait mode fullscreen doesn't scale right. the height stretches to the top and bottom, and the width just shows the left half.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2013, 02:24:11 AM »

Yeah, since I discovered LICEcap I can't stop to gif :D. I agree that animated screenshots work much better for this game.

Quote from: aberrantmind
small bug: in portrait mode fullscreen doesn't scale right. the height stretches to the top and bottom, and the width just shows the left half.
Thanks. Anything else?

Tom Grochowiak
Uykered
« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2013, 02:40:10 AM »

Sweet! Looking forward to getting this sometime.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: August 09, 2013, 10:12:43 AM »

Made this for the game's webpage:

It displays instead of the main screenshot. The idea is that this animation should explain the game better than any written description. Good idea?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 10:41:24 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: August 19, 2013, 04:51:58 AM »

One of the players started a wiki for the game, which is pretty awesome :D.

http://bonfire-game.wikia.com/

Tom Grochowiak
Purcy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 19, 2013, 07:51:10 AM »

How do you make these graphics? They look very nice? (Program & Tools?)
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: August 19, 2013, 01:00:18 PM »

Nothing special really. Kate, Bonfire's artist, just draws them in Photoshop. And if you meant the special effects and animations, I just code them manually in GameMaker.

Tom Grochowiak
Purcy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 19, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »

I'd love to see a tutorial, guide or even pictures showing progress through an image! I'd love to learn how.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic