Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:44:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your 3d artwork
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your 3d artwork  (Read 22106 times)
redshift
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2008, 06:49:50 AM »

House in 3d

Smiley
redshift
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2008, 06:50:25 AM »

Olympics building

Smiley
redshift
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2008, 06:51:10 AM »

View 2

Smiley
Anna
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2008, 07:24:20 AM »

Zaphos
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2008, 09:55:21 AM »

you mean to paint on the model directly?
There are many, tatoo for example (I remember seing a freeware version too.
But generally after trying, I find these program less useful than just fiddling on the texture, but that's just me.
Yep -- I'm aware they exist, but I think one specifically for pixel art on 3D surfaces would have to be different, since you're worried more about controlling the size and orientation of pixels on the surface (instead of just letting them all be 'small enough').  I also think it might be a bit less weird to pixel on 3D surfaces than it is to paint on them, but I'm not sure.
(Tattoo also is for models with existing UV maps, I would rather automatically generate that.)

Hm, but in 3d you always have to consider how the surface of your model will unwrap into a two-dimensional texture. Perhaps it could work with very low-poly models if the software internally just maps every surface to its own area on the texture map... I'm not so sure.
Yep, the program would need to automatically find a UV mapping and adjust it to match user inputs.

Anyway, I'll try implementing what I'm thinking of and post in a new thread about it if it goes well Smiley
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2008, 10:04:29 AM »

(Tattoo also is for models with existing UV maps, I would rather automatically generate that.)

Yep, the program would need to automatically find a UV mapping and adjust it to match user inputs.

i dont realy know a lot about 3d.. but what i have seen, is that auto generated 'uv unwraps' are nightmarishly un organized and generally unusable
Saker
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2008, 12:05:50 PM »

i dont realy know a lot about 3d.. but what i have seen, is that auto generated 'uv unwraps' are nightmarishly un organized and generally unusable
yes ... you r right .. but for the very low poly models it would be good ..  and this is what is needed for doing a pixeled texture

Zaphos
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2008, 01:20:15 PM »

Well, it shouldn't matter if I don't expose that to the user -- the whole idea is that I don't want to look at a uv map, I just want to look at the model.  But I do think I could do a reasonable quality semi-automatic uv unwrap for low poly surfaces.
ChevyRay
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2008, 01:18:45 AM »

Awesome coffee cup, Anna :D
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2008, 02:01:16 PM »

Welp, guys, I just did my first textured 3d model ever, in Blender.  Say hello to "Dude-Head" the goblin. :D
increpare
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2008, 02:08:13 PM »

Welp, guys, I just did my first textured 3d model ever, in Blender.  Say hello to "Dude-Head" the goblin. :D
ARROE DUDE HEAD

(his nose looks a little bit funny in the top left version. it has a lot of personality though; I can imagine myself growing to love/hate that face over the course of a full game.  Are you going to animate it, add a torso, or?)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2008, 02:14:43 PM »

Haha, yeah, his head is really pointy. :D

But no, I just did this for practice.  I'll probably do a few more heads to get comfy with Blender before I try anything like a torso.

Thanks for the feedback!
Gnarf
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2008, 02:17:10 PM »

You're obviously making a turn-based dungeoncrawler! Kiss

I can tell from the model that it's turn-based!!
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2008, 03:59:59 PM »

nice texture Beer!

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2008, 05:44:29 PM »

sik head dude, something about his eyes dont sit right, but apart from that its awesome.

edit:  I think they need more gloss n shadow or something, cant put my finger on it though.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 05:49:39 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2008, 03:11:03 AM »

Thanks, guys!

@Farmer: I think I know what you mean.  They look pretty flat!
(EDIT: By the way, it'd be kickass if you posted some of your stuff, man! Wink)

Here's my new one:

It's still just a head, but it's a bit more complex.  UV Unwrapping is pretty tricky, and there's obviously a lot to learn there.  My texture is still getting stretched in some bad places, like that metal thing on his head and his eyes.  Does anyone have any tips?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 03:18:45 AM by Derek » Logged
medieval
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2008, 05:31:49 AM »

Your mind-blowing facemelting awesomeness is mind-blowing and facemelting.
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2008, 05:42:05 AM »

That is amazing work. I've been messing around with Blender this week (baring distracting wife techniques) and haven't even remotely figured out the UV unwrapping. I'm still working on how to make tentacles. Did you use the sculpt tool for the face or build it from an image?

Amazing work. Smiley
Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2008, 05:42:50 AM »

Sometimes I put way too much effort into creating things that are merely decorations for my games. It's 3D art, but not polygonal and prerendered to be converted to 2D sprites later.

A tulip shaped glass

Alien type blacksnail shell

Per aspera ad astra
Saker
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2008, 05:57:05 AM »

derek doing 3D stuff Huh?
will your hot-new-coming-project be in 3d??

anyway ... here is the hero of my current project :-
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic