Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 09:06:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessBigPoint?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: BigPoint?  (Read 1113 times)
MooseMouse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 07, 2012, 11:19:48 AM »

Does anybody have experience putting a game on BigPoint? On their website they say they have 150 million gamers, but I never hear much about them here in the US. I am interested in putting my game on their site, but integrating their API would be a lot of work.
Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 12:48:58 PM »

I have heard from others (not a rumour, more like from devs I know personally) that it's not worth it (not that many players at all). Also, I was contacting them and they don't seem to be so friendly to small devs. Overall, not terrible, but I would not bother.

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
MooseMouse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 05:52:57 PM »

Thanks for the info. It is strange because BigPoint has had some great press in the gaming and internet industry blogs. Apparently they have tons of registered players, lots of investment money, and 800 employees in offices all over the world. But then, their developer success stories are kind of unimpressive. The first success story on their site has the following developer quote:

"we still hadn’t invested any money into any marketing, but we were still able to record over 2,000 new accounts in just a week-and-a-half. A large number of these accounts came through Bigpoint."

While 2000 new accounts is nice, it concerns me that this is the first (best?) success story from a site that boasts 150 million gamers. It just doesn't add up.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 07:14:13 PM by MooseMouse » Logged
Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 01:24:26 AM »

2000 registers/week for a portal is *TERRIBLE*. Several year ago my game was getting like 180 registers/week per toplist (and I was listed on several toplists), so I was probably around 2k/week too (and I don't have 800 employees :D). Of course several years ago everything was much easier, so 2k/week now is very nice (still, not for a portal).

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 01:54:28 AM »

The 150M figure is a bit misleading. BigPoint make their own games, some of which have a lot of registered players such as Battlestar Galactica Online. However, many of those players will literally never browse bigpoint.net looking for other games to try.

How many players use BigPoint as a general purpose games portal? I don't know, but very possibly far fewer.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic