Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412109 Posts in 69451 Topics- by 58490 Members - Latest Member: tzdevil

June 29, 2024, 04:57:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsArena Quest RPG - A squad based tactical combat game with lots of loot!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Arena Quest RPG - A squad based tactical combat game with lots of loot!  (Read 1946 times)
G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2012, 03:07:30 AM »

Hey all

I've been working on a game over the last few months. I wanted to start a devlog earlier but never got around to it. Anyway, it's a party based combat game similar to Battleheart for the iOS and Android. The main difference is that it has an Action RPG-like randomised loot system, and it features a 'combat pause' button that allows buffering of commands (so when things get too hectic you can pause the action and plan your next move strategically). Art has always been my weakness but I'm trying my best!

I'm currently experiencing a lapse in motivation so I hope this Devlog will keep me going. The finish line isn't far off so I just need to keep trudging along. I'm currently aiming to complete the first World and release a demo for feedback and suggestions. I'm probably a couple weeks away from that.

Information

• Title: Arena Quest.
  • Platforms: Android only for now.
  • Dev Tools: Eclipse, libgdx game framework, Inkscape, Gimp.
  • Team size: Just me!

Gameplay Features

• Party based arena combat. Fight several waves of enemies each battle.
  • 7 character classes in total. Control up to 4 characters for each battle.
  • Characters start with 2 skills and gain many more as they level up.
  • 3 worlds with 10 levels per world (including a boss fight at the end of each world)
  • Collect randomized loot, including very rare and powerful legendary items.
  • 3 difficulty modes. Each subsequent mode drops higher quality loot.
  • A tactics button that allows the player to pause combat and buffer commands.

World map and character screen

Weapons and skill/ability icons

Gameplay screenshots

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 07:05:57 PM by G-Factor » Logged

G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 07:36:17 AM »

Coded about half of the world 1 boss and gave him a couple of special attacks. Also had a go at drawing him in Inkscape. Pretty rough at the moment but that's the basic concept.

It's an axe-weilding orc chieftan with flame-thrower shoulder pads. Scary!

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 07:33:16 AM »

Looking pretty neat! I look forward to seeing where this goes Smiley

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 07:06:55 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement!

I coded some scrolling clouds for my world map. They don't look fantastic...but I need some movement in that screen, it simply looks too static at the moment!

I also started putting some sound FX in. I'm trying to find a variety of free sword sounds, at least 6-7 so that you won't hear the same 'clang' every time a character swings his sword. I found a few at the following sites;

http://www.freesfx.co.uk
http://www.freesound.org/

If anyone has other links to sites with free and legal sounds, I would greatly appreciate them!

xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 07:20:16 AM »

If you're making a bigger Battleheart, good luck to you. I loved that game.

I think part of the reason that games like Battleheart are so endearing, though, is that the graphics are expressive. Even if you're going to keep the overhead view, I think you can express different states by moving the arms or making the torso angled relative to the characters' head. Even just having each weapon give the characters a different stance (e.g. the bow being different than the sword or wand) will help differentiate the characters and make things a little more graphically exciting.

Btw, I really like the graphics even though you say you're not good at them. Just try to be less stiff and experiment a bit more.

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 08:58:37 AM »

Thanks for the comments!

I wouldn't say I'm going for a bigger Battleheart; I know my limits and probably won't have as many skills or monster variety as that game. And it certainly won't look as good either. Mostly, I'm trying to add more action RPG elements to the genre. Hopefully people that like to number crunch (I'm exposing a lot of values such as critical hit chance, DPS, armour mitigation...etc) and farm loot will find it interesting. 

I agree with your comments about adding 'character' to the...well characters! I like some of your suggestions. I might try to separate the body and head portion of the sprite and sway the body as they walk. They do have animated feet which don't show up in the screenshots because they are all standing still. But yes...less stiffness!

G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 07:30:31 PM »

It's been a while since updates!

I've been working hard but pretty much just been adding sound FX and fixing bugs, so not much to show off in the form of new art or anything (apart from the application icon).

I've completed a playable version and put it up on Google Play (sorry, Android only for now). The game is completely free. No ads, no in game purchases, no pop-ups, no invasive permissions. Would love some feedback, cheers all!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:24:37 PM by G-Factor » Logged

G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 10:24:33 PM »

OK so it's been a very long time since my last update!

I did a big update to the version I already had on Google Play (mostly UI and art polish). Since then I've added a bunch of enemies and coded a lot of new player abilities (I've now coded 38/49 of them). I hope that by posting more regularly in this Devlog (maybe once a week) will result in increased motivation and productivity  Grin

Here is a pic of the new Inventory screen

And some new enemies

G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 07:03:51 PM »

I don't know what the rules are on resurrecting VERY OLD devlogs...but this project was more or less abandoned long ago after I moved overseas for a new job and life generally became very busy, but I've recently found some motivation and started working on it again! It's now actually very close to complete. I've pretty much done all the heroes, enemies, bosses, skills, items...etc. The last major system was the Item Enchant mechanic which I finished last week.

If you have an Android device and would like to give this game a go please let me know!

Otherwise, since showing pages of code would be boring, here are some art comparisons between an older version of the game and the current version (A friend of mine did some character art for me). Left side is my crappy programmer art, right side is his.

Old VS new world map

Old VS new gameplay screen

G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 04:26:25 PM »

Couple more screenshots

Boss fight
One of the bosses in the game. Bosses have mmo-style raid like mechanics that need to be avoided/dealt with. In this screenshot, the Lycan is tanking the boss while the cleric is healing the Lycan. The hunter is applying a debuff (while also dealing damage), and the mage is straight up laser beaming away. The game has threat mechanics so if the mage does too much damage the boss will aggro her. Luckily, the Lycan has a couple of abilities that generate aggro fast! Unfortunately the screenshot looks kinda dull and static  Sad. When actually playing it gets quite hectic; keeping 4 heroes out of danger zones, healing the right targets, managing cooldowns, managing aggro, prioritising enemies...etc.

Enchanting

Enchanting is more or less the final feature. There are still a couple of bugs to fix but it more or less works. As you progress through the game you unlock new enchants and power levels of those enchants.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 05:45:22 PM »

Whoa, cool! First time seeing this (obviously), but I'm glad you brought it back! The game looks well thought out and engaging. And yes, the newer art is far superior Smiley

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 03:41:35 PM »

I've just made a trailer for my game! I'm not really good at this sort of stuff but this is my best effort. Please let me know what you think  Smiley

[EDIT] Uploaded HD version!

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 02:31:45 PM by G-Factor » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic