Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 07:46:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessFrom amauter to self-employed indie
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: From amauter to self-employed indie  (Read 4631 times)
ionside
Level 1

what was I doing, again?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 08:20:11 PM »

I find the way I work depends on the task at hand. When doing art/animating I have music playing - quite loud in fact. But when programming I have the music turned off.

Recently I found I had a habit of checking Facebook, for no reason. I replaced that with standing up and stretching.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 06:27:32 AM »

@valhalla - the pomodoro system is flexible actually. it says you can change the numbers around if you like. you can make the timer periods longer and the break periods longer. some people do, and some people make them shorter. if you read the free guide to it it explicitly explains all that

ra51
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 07:14:57 AM »

actually, 8 hours *isn't* normal for people who work 8 hours a day. they have lunch breaks. they often don't work every single minute of that time, often having breaks for meetings or goofing off on the job. there was a study that measured actual work in the typical 8 hour workday / 40 hour workweek, and they found something like only two and a half hours of actual work got done, the rest of the day, even for *salaried employees* was wasted on distractions, breaks, periods where they did nothing and stretched or went to the bathroom or drank coffee, travel time, walking between rooms, time spent socializing with other co-workers, time spent staring off blankly into space, etc.

This is totally so true Cheesy. You can even probably divide that in half if the worker totally hates their job. I would also add that the work environment you're in...if you're there with a bunch of chatterbox co-workers or worker bees can affect your daily performance also. I do find that on days when i'm around the chatterboxes, i get absolutely nothing done.

I believe that the workers are legally entitled to a break. Not sure in america land, but in my country they are.

This is actually a good question, i'm not sure if workers in the US are legally entitled to a break or not - though it is just common "thing to have" in order to maintain worker sanity. Which is probably why there is so little actually accomplished within that 8 hour workday. I do know based on US laws that its not mandatory to have vacation or "time-off" hours in the US. This is defined by the company they work for.
Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 11:51:32 PM »

Game development is enjoyable for me still, but like every job it is work in the end.
I think that's wrong, and won't work in the long run. Many writers say that the moment it starts feeling like a work it is the end. And writers and devs have much in common...

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
True Valhalla
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 12:13:33 AM »

Game development is enjoyable for me still, but like every job it is work in the end.
I think that's wrong, and won't work in the long run. Many writers say that the moment it starts feeling like a work it is the end. And writers and devs have much in common...

It's not "wrong" if it's unavoidable.

If I worked only a few hours a day on games it might stay enjoyable all the time, but it isn't economically viable if it is to be my main source of income. If I work 8+ hours a day, I'll make the money I need to but inevitably it's going to be less enjoyable over time.

However, it can be work and enjoyable at the same time. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be doing it.
Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 04:31:18 AM »

It's not "wrong" if it's unavoidable.
You used the word "have to" (in bold!) and "unavoidable". I can't explain it very well, but I'm very confident I'm right this time. These are lies and "kiss of death" words if used in connection to making games. You don't have to do anything, you won't starve to death if you don't make games (and if you go this route long enough you might start to wonder if starving to death is not a better option to make yet another game you learned to loathe on the way). I have been on the "have to" path for a very long time, so I can say with great confidence, there is nothing nice at the end of the way. Do not go there.

The tricky thing is that the "have to" approach works very well for even many years, and it can make you successful, still, it's not worth the final harvest it takes...

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
True Valhalla
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 05:56:31 AM »

Email me in 5 years and we'll see where the dice landed Smiley
Terrified Virus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2012, 08:52:36 AM »

Hey, True Valhalla is on the TIG Forums! He is a hero of the Game Maker Community, always inspiring everyone! Smiley
True Valhalla
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2012, 02:41:01 PM »

Haha, I'm trying to get more involved here where I can. I would post more but frequenting two large forums is time consuming.
kiddRaddical
Level 0

ALT UNIVERSE SEGA SATURN DEV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2012, 08:32:05 AM »

Awesome, awesome, awesome post. Just getting into the swing of full-time indie work myself, and this was right on time!

P.S. Your site is awesome; super motivational  Coffee

posting (too) regularly on Twitter: @EthanRedd
EthanRedd.com
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic