Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:22:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRobopolis (a puzzle platformer)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Robopolis (a puzzle platformer)  (Read 9512 times)
Jandy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 12:35:34 PM »

Bit of an update, I *have* been working on this despite it being November since my last update...

I've added pull switches that can be operated by the main character and big robot who can pick up blocks. they active trap doors - some will switch from open to always closed (until a switch is pulled again) and other will just open, letting through whatever is stood/placed directly above then close again.  Pretty much identical to the ones in Abe's Oddysee.  Obviously this required a new animation for the big robot (main character just jumps underneath one to activate it)... seen h'myar:

I've also decided that the factory section is going to be the final section.  It was originally going to be this big corporate style building but it was a pain in the ass to think of objects in an office that would make for decent puzzles.  So instead of that the Junkyard has more levels, while some of the factory levels have been re-tiled as junkyard sections and there'll be a few more features added to factory levels.  Also means I'm that much closer to finishing than if I tried making an extra tileset.

But really the bulk of the 'game' is finished.  Most of my work from here on in is going to be on sound effects and presentation.  I'd like to really do up the level select so that it's more of a world map and players can see their progress.  I've seen people play up to the last level of the laboratory and kinda give up because it's quite tricky, but knowing in advance that it is the last level of that area would in advance would let the player know that A) it's meant to be tough and B) do it and you'll progress to the next area, complete with new graphics and objects to play with.

I've still got to really settle the story so that players have more of a sense of purpose.  The current idea is that you were travelling to Robopolis to thwart the evil schemes of this corporate jerk (He kidnaps your creator so you must go off and save him/her), but seeing as the game now ends with the factory, you don't technically reach Robopolis (the actual city anyway, the factory lies pretty much on the outskirts).  So the name should be changed too now :/

So that's it for now.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 05:38:32 AM »

I've told you before but I'll say it again, your animations are silky smooth. I'd be interested in seeing a small tutorial on your methods and techniques.

I should also say that the game is awesome too. Though if you hadn't brought it to the manchester indie drinks I'd have never heard of it. You should try to put the game out there more to get it the attention it deserves.

Anyway, can't wait to see the finished game.

Jandy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 01:30:06 PM »

Thanks David, the animation is what really strikes people about the game and will hopefully set it apart from other games at this sort of level.  Animation takes quite a lot of time for what it is, and the games takes from/pays homage to cinematic platformers which are really characterised by the quality of their animation, so it's great that people see some of that in my game too!

To be honest it's the first game I've ever really put out there for people to see so I'm pretty green when it comes to publicity.  If you have any pointers for me on how to really get the word out then you'd get a lot of gratitude and definitely a mention in the credits!

JigsawDisease
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 07:13:14 PM »

Your animations are really fluid. Id also like to hear about your method! Looking forward to the finished game.

you should call it robokinesis Smiley

Jandy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 01:23:21 PM »

Here's the rough image for the over-world of Robopolis.  I intend to replace Nitrome/Flashgame-esque levels in a grid with an over-world representation, similar like mario bros 3.  Last year when I showed this to a few people one guy pointed out that the last laboratory level presents a bit of a difficulty/patience spike that would put players off continuing.  By letting them know that it's the last level of a particular 'area', a player will expect it to be a challenge, and will hopefully persevere to continue and be rewarded with new content in the form of the next area.

JigsawDisease
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2013, 08:10:16 PM »

looks great man, and it is good to know whereabouts in the game you are. will you have the robot sprite you made running from area to area?

Jandy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2013, 01:28:41 PM »

I have like a little icon maybe 8x8 of the player character that travels between nodes respresenting the levels.  Just like super mario world, but it's a totally linear level progression and the background map is on a 2d plane, same as the main gameplay.

At the moment I've been spending most of my time at the moment trying to get some ideas together for the story, and reworking the world map music.

However, tonight I've updated the animation for the security guard robot.  He's always looked a little stiff.  Here's the before and after:

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »

The new version looks really nice! Smiley
Jandy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2013, 12:51:04 PM »

Thanks.  I've stuck a demo up on Gamejolt btw, so now I've got somewhere proper to send reviewers/bloggers.

http://gamejolt.com/games/puzzle/robopolis/17124/

It's only about 1/2 of the levels, but it still showcases some of the updates I've been talking about like the new level selection and some animation revisions.

There has been some reports that the screen is over scaling so that the right side of the game is cut off a bit.  I think I've fixed it now but I could do with some people to actually test the fix (as I only have this computer and 2 display resolutions).  So if you try the demo then can you please comment here or on gamejolt whether or not it worked along with your display resolution?

lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2013, 09:14:20 PM »

I really like this game, but the resolution messed up on my laptop--the pixels are all jaggy! My laptop runs Vista, if that helps... I dunno if I experienced the problem with the right side of the game getting cut off, though.

Also, I recommend posting your pixel art to pixeljoint.com!

Jandy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2013, 04:06:15 AM »

What do you mean by jaggy? What is the display resolution of your monitor?

JigsawDisease
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2013, 10:25:27 PM »

arent pixels meant to be jaggy?

Going to try this new demo later mate looking forward to it!

mbel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2013, 11:19:41 AM »

Glad to see you're still working on it Smiley

There has been some reports that the screen is over scaling so that the right side of the game is cut off a bit. I think I've fixed it now but I could do with some people to actually test the fix (as I only have this computer and 2 display resolutions). So if you try the demo then can you please comment here or on gamejolt whether or not it worked along with your display resolution?

1366x768 + 1280x1024 (dual screen setup: laptop built-in display + external screen), worked without any display problems. I've finished the game (I mean available 20 levels) in about 30 minutes, it was quite fun, I've seen most of the puzzles before (played previous demo), they were still challenging (mostly because I forgot how to solve them Smiley).

There were few minor (especially the last one) issues:
  • player character gets blocked when a box is pushed (by the pushing bot) to the place where he stands (force fields act in more or less the same way, but in this case it's kinda... hmm expected?);
  • on and off states of force fields look very similar, I actually had a problem in the beginning to tell whether the field was turned off;
  • when the space is pressed and the time stops, the animations of other bots are still moving, it looked a bit awkward to me. Maybe you could slow their animations down a bit?

Sarge
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2013, 11:40:50 AM »

arent pixels meant to be jaggy?

Going to try this new demo later mate looking forward to it!

Yeah if they're not Jaggy, I want my money back.  It's part of the charm imo.

[TWEETER]
If it is stupid, but it works, then it isn't stupid.
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2013, 03:57:57 PM »

No, this is jagginess as in, there are like, sub-pixel distortions or something. I can't really elaborate at the moment; I will have to get back to y'all.

Jandy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2013, 06:27:39 PM »

I know what you mean.  If the game is being displayed at x2 then some rows/columns of pixels might look 3 wide instead of x2.  lasttea999,  could you tell me what display resolution your computer is running at?  And maybe a screen grab of a moment where you really notice the problem, if you can.

lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 10:01:11 PM »

I know what you mean.  If the game is being displayed at x2 then some rows/columns of pixels might look 3 wide instead of x2.  lasttea999,  could you tell me what display resolution your computer is running at?  And maybe a screen grab of a moment where you really notice the problem, if you can.

I think the display resolution is 1280 x 800.

Does this screenshot work?

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic