Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 07:39:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMad Aubergine
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Mad Aubergine  (Read 6483 times)
_Grey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 16, 2012, 07:10:06 AM »

hi guys,
i want to present you the first game i'm serously making for a bit (alone as Grey Productions): Mad Aubergine.

well, i started to make this flash game (yes, i'm using as3) with the intent of making a Cave Story style game with tons of weapons, enemies and stuff and now i need your feedbacks to improve it.

it obviously lacks of a story mode, but i preffered to make the easy stuff first (Survival Mode) just to set up the game.

here's some screens (of the new version i'm making):

as you see the main character is an Aubergine: it came from a drawing of it while smoking a cigarette and driving a Truck through one of my friends. After that drawing i've realized that it was perfect for a platform/shoot 'em up game, and so i started making it the past year, during this period more or less (i work on it something like 1 or 2 hours a day during holidays and from 30mins to 0 when i'm at school).

here's the link: Grey productions - Mad Aubergine

on my site i also upload the under dev version for who is courious to see how is changing.

i'm currently work on a new level generation for one of the 2 Survival modes, on new enemies and weapons and on a Garden mode.

Please post everything you think about this game, i don't care if you criticize what i've done, it only helps me :D

Ah here's my tweeter account @GreyHCK if anyone want to follow me Wink
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ENEMIES

Tomatoes are the most common enemy you can find. They goes around the level and if they are near you they will attack.

Golden tomatoes aren't so different from normal tomatoes: they are only moooooooore heavier and slower and they aren't affected by the special power of Electro Hat

Pumpkins are quite dangerous: they continue to follow the player until they reach him then they start blinking and finally they explode emitting some particles.

Darkmen are probably the most dangerous enemies: they wait you touch them in the shadows, then they wake up and start following you.

The  only enemy that can shoot bullets: it's exactly like the player, just a bit slower, but it can't pick up weapons (for now)

WEAPONS

From left to right:

-Normal bullets: nothing extraordinary. Bullets change color and effects if player equips different hats
-Poison needles: needles that once shooted will remain on the floor causing damages to enemies that step on them
-Saws: they only move on the floor and ,while they do that, they become faster
-Guided saws: same as Saws but with the possibility of choose their direction.
-Lazor: one of the most powerful weapons as they become stronger as you level up. Not so effective with darkmen.
-Phantom bullets: they can pass through walls..... never tried them while the Phantom hat is equipped?
-Burner: a simple flamethrower.
-Hexploder: one of my favourite weapons. It consists in a really small bullet that, after touching the ground, explodes emitting lots of deadly particles. I you press C you can change the explosion mode (tower or spread). It causes lag if used while Burning hat is equipped ( i mean during the explosion).

HATS

From left to right:

-Normal hat.
-Froty hat: if equipped you can transform enemies into ice statues. This effect doesn't work on Darkmen.
-Electro hat: if equipped you're able to electrify enemies. This time it works on Darkmen but not on Golden tomatoes (all weapon's damage is halved).
-Burning hat: if equipped you can burn enemies (pay attention, they start to run madly while on fire!).
-Surprise hat: it's a surprise!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 09:15:54 AM by _Grey » Logged

_Grey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 08:05:41 AM »

now that i've fixed (more or less) the level generation of Stadium mode, i'll set up the Garden Mode.

here's some sprites of a tomato plant.

and some bigger versions

more stuff coming soon Wink

Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 08:09:58 AM »

i like the particles and the sounds.

The horizontal speed felt a bit too slow, and it looks like all the particles go away after a while instead of partially going away by their own individual lifetime.

Hand Thumbs Up Left

EDIT: Sprites got a bit of charm, i like them. But it doesn't look like the tiles match up to the style.

_Grey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 08:27:11 AM »

first of all, thanks for your feedback.

i like the particles and the sounds.

The horizontal speed felt a bit too slow, and it looks like all the particles go away after a while instead of partially going away by their own individual lifetime.

you're playing the old version? well, yes :D in the old version all the same spawned particles die at the same time.... i've changed this in the under dev version, anyway (just go to the Working On section of my site).

Hand Thumbs Up Left

EDIT: Sprites got a bit of charm, i like them. But it doesn't look like the tiles match up to the style.

i completely agree with you... infact while i was making them i've said "they probably won't fit very well in my game, but lets make them just for have something under your feet".

you're a pixel art maker, right? which style of tile do you think suits better for my game?

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 08:32:17 AM »

yay flixel Smiley I'm glad you're still working on this from when you showed it over at the flixel forums earlier.

play hydlide 2
_Grey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 08:38:50 AM »

i'll stop to work on this only when i finish it... and i know this will take a looooong time as after the summer holidays there's my last secondary school year and i need to study hard to obtain good results  Smiley

Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 02:18:18 PM »

(Yea, i'm an artist.)

I'd go with the pixeled look instead of the blured tile style.

_Grey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 12:18:50 AM »

so i need to highlight every pixel? i mean, something like bigger pixels?

Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 12:37:06 AM »

so i need to highlight every pixel? i mean, something like bigger pixels?

Just make the tiles match the style of the sprites.

_Grey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 05:11:20 AM »

screen of the Garden Mode

now i'll work on its music.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 05:16:22 AM by _Grey » Logged

_Grey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 05:40:34 AM »

need an opinion on his evilness (it's always the main character, not his bad version)

_Grey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 04:07:07 AM »

Saturday news:

Garden's minigame is quite finished.... just need to add an AI to the enemies.
After this i will add new weapons and enemies and i fix something in the various game modes.

Here some screens:

And after you cut that plant....

_Grey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 07:10:24 AM »

First post changed a bit.

Here's a new screen:

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 02:21:24 AM by _Grey » Logged

_Grey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 02:23:36 AM »

Alrighty! Garden mode is complete!!! Play it here

Uh, tomato plants will take something like 7 hours to grow....

More plants will be added soon!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 12:30:15 PM by _Grey » Logged

_Grey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 03:00:53 AM »

Almost forgot: tomato seeds are avaiable in the game's shop

_Grey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 05:21:27 AM »

Added Garden coins

_Grey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 11:12:18 AM »

Working on new weapons, this is the second i've made: it consists in knives that orbit around the player when the left mouse button is pressed and go quite fast in the chosen direction when released.

What do you think about?

_Grey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 02:13:12 AM »

New enemy? Work in progress.

-----------
EDIT: on dark background you can see it have teeth.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 02:08:09 AM by _Grey » Logged

_Grey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 02:08:30 AM »

who's turning off the lights?

_Grey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 02:15:07 AM »

incoming enemy

Pages: [1] 2