Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 02:23:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsElegy [ALPHA DEMO AVAILABLE NOW!]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Elegy [ALPHA DEMO AVAILABLE NOW!]  (Read 9494 times)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 08:38:06 AM »

Really odd that I didn't write anything in this thread yet, anyway - subscribing.

threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 07:59:14 AM »

Well, finally some new stuff to show that's in-game!

We've been working on menus, which is why there's been a lapse in information. But today is a different story! We got started on some boss mechanics, including a minion system for enemies and getting this big baddie in there: The Pinwheel.

Basically, the minion system will cause all minor enemies to gravitate to the boss, who subsequently becomes their captain, causing them to defend and coordinate their attacks.

It's still early days on this (day 1 to be precise) and the art is still the base placeholder that I've built, but hopefully we'll have something more in the way of that soon!
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 08:14:16 PM »

I like how the toughest Guardian is made from a light and fluffy little feather.
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 05:50:12 AM »

McMutton: I kind of adore that contrast. Something fragile and beautiful becoming a badass tank.

Well! I know I haven't shown much in terms of screenshots, but it's because we're trying to decide what to show and what to keep a SECRET, so that there can be at least SOME surprise for players.

I can say though, that we are in mass prototyping phase. Instead of trying to get one particular system finished and polished, we're mass completing and implementing the ideas we've been kicking around now for about 2-3 months. I can say that the first chunk of Guardians have been concepted and I am working on pumping out placeholder animations for those. David is busy working on the attack controls for those as wel roll them out, and I have to say I am really excited to have more characters to play around with.

Once we get all our new stuff into the game and feel happy about it, I will probably try and record a gameplay video. I know we've been holding out on showing content so I will try to rectify that.
Swaggermuffin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2012, 04:12:40 PM »

Just to feel the crowd out, are people interested in stuff like this? I think it's an interesting side people don't often get to see in game design. Let me know.

YES.
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 01:04:50 PM »

There has been a flurry of activity going into Elegy's production these days! Our mass prototyping phase has returned some pretty awesome results so far.

Dave managed to add some new status effects to Guardian attacks, and is working towards getting leveling and saving into the game.

On my end, I have been conceptualizing/producing like a fiend, trying to get as many Guardians implemented as I can, and so far, it's been going pretty well.

In the spirit of halloween, and because this place has been mostly word happy, I present to you a tease of what I finished today:

This is the silhouette for a guardian you may manage to pickup along your journey. He is one of the THREE new ones we've gotten in so far, bringing our total to 6 implemented guardians. So, considering we're shooting for at least 10, I'd say I'm finally nearing the finish line on those.

Sorry, I know it's not much, but soon we will have a nice juicy reveal planned. I assure you all Wink
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 11:01:35 AM »

Because I'm sick of working on this without showing anything, and I need some sort of reassurance this is going to be worth it, here's a WIP of the first cutscene. I'm in the gruelling process of constructing materials, props, environments, and pretty much every bit of content possible as we move towards our first closed alpha. More info on that soon. But needless to say we have a definite plan in place, and we are working diligently to bring it to life.

Dave's been building a lot of really awesome tools for cutscenes, as well as some serious backend overhauls. We got our sound and obstacle systems back in place and better than ever. Guardians are now able to level up, and we've got about 6 guardians prototyped.

Now, for some seriously good information for you guys: Our goal right now is to have a closed alpha started by early February. This means that we will be picking a small focussed team of testers to play through our game as we build the first serious public demo. We're still not 100% on the details of it, but needless to say we want people to help us catch bugs while we continue to implement. Also, we can finally get someone else's insights into things. It's hard to catch everything when there's only 2 of us.

This first demo that we hope to complete will consist of the first few missions you can expect to play when the game is released, in as polished a state as we can get it. If we can manage to get this demo off the ground, it'll only be a matter of time before the full game is released, so if you are interested in helping us, keep your eye out here and on our Devlog about when those sign ups can begin.

Hopefully I'll have more in the next 2 months to show, sorry it's been slow! Lots has happened, just nothing worth showing just yet Wink
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 11:04:16 AM »

I'm a big fan of the art, but those windows look a lot like frescos instead.
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 11:58:19 AM »

any chance of a mac port? id test it for you if it was for a mac and windows operating system Tongue

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Splynter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 12:50:08 PM »

any chance of a mac port? id test it for you if it was for a mac and windows operating system Tongue

Hey there, I'm de-lurking and dusting off my old-almost-never-used TigSource account to say Hi! I'm David, and I'm programming Elegy. Elegy is written in Java using LWJGL (www.lwjgl.org), which makes running on different platforms relatively painless, and we plan to release it for Windows, Macintosh and Linux PCs. I write about the programming side of things on our devlog at elegythegame.tumblr.com, but if you'd like I can start cross-posting things to this thread.

David
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 12:26:57 PM »

Welcome to Delta.

I had the absolute pleasure of making the world map for our game. What started as a prop for the opening cutscene turned into one of the most enjoyable assets I've made for this game to date. I will edit this later today with more information. For now, just feast your eyes on some cartographic candy Smiley
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2012, 01:13:43 PM »

I love it :0

can you provide some info on the process of making it? I've always loved cartography type stuff like this but find my own attempts to mimic have always fallen way short.

Or was it just a matter of being very patient and free-handing all the contours?

threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2012, 02:30:30 PM »

I love it :0

can you provide some info on the process of making it? I've always loved cartography type stuff like this but find my own attempts to mimic have always fallen way short.

Or was it just a matter of being very patient and free-handing all the contours?

Xion, glad you like it Smiley And yes, it was all done freehand. All the elevation lines, text, trade routes and map symbols were all crafted by yours truly.

I saved out some WIPs to show the process on this bad boy:

This was made waaaaaay back in like, January, while Amanitazest's writing challenge was going on. I had taken stock of all the areas and geography that I had conceptualized and started trying to make sense of where things would be located based on the interactions I wrote about etc etc. Pretty rough, but it gave me a base to go on.

Now, 8 months or so later, I finally got around to making a proper version. First thing I did was work on the shorelines as those would define the look of the entire region the game would be set in. I knew roughly what kinds of terrain would be needed for each area, and just went to town. I then filled in some of the more open bodies of water with some islands for some visual flair. Assuming they would have either been chunks that had broken off the  mainland, or formed by natural ridges in the water, I tried to match them up like puzzle pieces.

In terms of technical tricks used to achieve the map effect, I then placed a stained paper texture behind and set the shores to "Color Burn" and down to about 80% opacity. This allowed for the texture to bleed through, as if the lines were drawn in ink. Same goes for the elevation lines: Color Burn, set to about 60% opacity this time. I looked at a lot of old maps to try and understand how elevation is illustrated, and just went about drawing it in where I thought it would make sense based on the area/landmark/town etc.

I then went about prettying up the names and such. Each one was written by hand. I wanted it to feel like an authentic map that might be drawn by the cartographers of Tyr. Last, I made symbols to represent the different types of cities (Village, Town, Capital) as well as important landmarks.

Finally, I took all of that and added some more details to make it like the map you see in the previous post. A compass, emblem, technical writing, grid, and legend etc. Without this it wouldn't feel quite as "official" Again, I went looking at a lot of WW2 military maps, old medieval maps etc to get a feel for the kind of pertinant information one might find on a map of this sort.

Hope that was enlightening Xion Smiley
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2012, 03:31:03 PM »

Now that I look at it again, it looks just as if you overlaid the map on the texture (which is exactly what you did), and it's very obvious. Mainly because the lines are so clean, there is no wear shown on them. I would probably make another layer of Clouds (the PS filter), select all the lines, invert the selection and that way delete everything else apart from the lines area on the clouds layer, then put the clouds on Overlay or similar and lower the opacity. That way, the lines won't be the same everywhere as they are right now.
And when you take into account that the map is old and crumpled a bit, the rectangle used as border for the map should be deformed, but it's perfectly straight instead.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2012, 02:56:14 PM »

[snip]
Hope that was enlightening Xion Smiley
Yes, very! Thanks for the writeup. I always love reading about creation processes.

threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2013, 10:55:48 AM »

Might not look like much, but there has been some significant progress with Elegy. We've done a lot of backend work, and our first level is starting to take shape. The next few months are going to get really interesting!

Unfortunately, things aren't quite together enough to show video or anything, but come the end of the month we should have something really nice to show off Smiley
ROCKYIII
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2013, 12:34:52 PM »

Looks awesome threesided!! Smiley
Splynter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2013, 02:31:36 PM »

Cross-posting from our Tumblr:

The other day I made a new particle system for the game. I’d implemented one a little while ago, but at the time I didn’t really know what I wanted from a particle system. A couple of weekends ago Scott, his girlfriend and I participated in the Global Game Jam, where we made a tower defense game (http://globalgamejam.org/2013/heart-attack-21) in 48 hours in Game Maker. The game jam was a lot of fun, and on top of learning Game Maker and creating a game in it in a weekend, I also got to play around with their particle system, and as a result came up with a better design for such a system in our own engine.

In this image you can see some WIP effects for a fiery explosion (red and yellow), an enemy exploding into deep purple orbs of their essence, and smoke coming off of enemies who are suffering from burning damage over time courtesy of the also recently expanded condition system.

- David
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2013, 11:12:12 AM »

Cross-post from Screenshot Saturday.

Still very WIP, but let it be known that there are many new levels in progress!

Don't mind the excessive amounts of grey right now, that will be fixed as those buildings get textured.

Important things to note though: Our particle system is in! Dave has been hella busy, and the effects we have so far look amazing. I can't wait to play around with it more. It really brings things to life.

We are about 1/4 of the way through towards our first closed alpha, which we will have more information on in the coming weeks. So please keep an eye out for that!
Carefree games
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2013, 02:01:09 PM »

Yes.. Beautiful.. These are super cool just the way they are, but it'd really be something to see them in-game! It's great that you're hand crafting everything - I really appreciate that effort. Nice map too, by the way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic