Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 08:04:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Resizing Pixel Art in Photoshop
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Resizing Pixel Art in Photoshop  (Read 32373 times)
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2008, 11:40:33 AM »

So I've been using photoshop to do a ton of art for my Bootleg Demakes entry, and I have stumbled upon a problem. I tend to do all my work in small restrictive sizes to maintain that pixel art feel, but when I try to make the image bigger photoshop blends all the colors together and it looks blurry and ridiculous. I'm sure that there is some setting somewhere that will make it so my pixel art retains it original shape and color, but I can't find it for the life of me, maybe something to do with anti-aliasing... i dunno

I'm still a bit of a photoshop newb, so I'd really appreciate some help. Also if its unclear what I'm talking about, I can make some examples and show you, but I think its pretty clear what the problem is... I just need some pro spriter to help me find the solution.

Thanks in advance!
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 11:44:19 AM »

In the pop-up window, when you resize the image, change the bicubic to nearest neighbor.

I hope this is what you meant.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 11:45:53 AM »

It's easy! Go to Edit > Preferences > General (or press Ctrl+K by default) and select Nearest Neighbor for Image Interpolation. Voilà! Be sure to play with the other modes as well; while they're probably not suitable at all for pixel art, they can be very useful when manipulating photos and such.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 11:46:36 AM »

Crap, you beat me to it. WTF
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 12:05:13 PM »

It's also important to remember to resize it so that every original pixel turns in to exactly 4 or 9 or 16 pixels. Otherwise you'll end up with unevenly sized "pixels" in your final image. The easiest way is to simply set the new image size to 200% or 300% or 400% etc.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 12:14:41 PM »

I knew it was something super simple.

Thanks very much guys!
Pages: [1]
Print