Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 08:01:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDwarfCorp: Ruthless Capitalism RTS in a Fantasy World
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37
Print
Author Topic: DwarfCorp: Ruthless Capitalism RTS in a Fantasy World  (Read 100365 times)
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2012, 08:30:31 PM »

Ah, that must be why it's so slow!

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2012, 04:34:32 PM »

New dwarfs in the game:

Kinasin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2012, 05:16:36 PM »

New dwarfs in the game:

I liked the original guys you had WAY better for some rease.  Tired
Lexonite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2012, 06:06:54 PM »

I like these new guys. Looks really polished/professional.

Swaggermuffin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2012, 06:28:55 PM »

I liked the original guys you had WAY better for some rease.  Tired

http://www.famitsu.com/freegame/tool/chibi/index1.html
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2012, 08:09:38 PM »

I love you
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: October 03, 2012, 02:44:42 PM »

I've been working on porting over my world generator into the actual game. Here's what it looks like so far:

Highlighted in yellow is the approximate place where this screenshot is taken:

I'm pleased to see the engine doesn't have huge performance problems with massive oceans (but the water thread is constantly chugging away and will lag behind by many seconds if you try to venture really far away from the start). I will be playing around with world scales to find one which seems "just right". Right now it's a little too large/flat.

You can see I've also added simple shadows to dwarves.

christonian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 03, 2012, 06:28:17 PM »

when will be able to get our hands on this I would love to do a Lets Play

Indie Focused YouTube Channel feel free to PM me if you want a showcase of your game or someone you know that needs coverage
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2012, 07:24:38 PM »

I... I love you, Bleak.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »

I... I love you, Bleak.

Bleak and Madk sitting at a computer, P-L-A-Y-I-N-G

In all seriousness, this is awesome. The map generator seems to be producing some really nice results. Are those dark green areas higher ground or how high are the hills?

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2012, 11:55:49 PM »

I love where this is heading. Do you really simulate these masses of water in Minecraft style?

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2012, 09:19:16 AM »

I... I love you, Bleak.

<3

In all seriousness, this is awesome. The map generator seems to be producing some really nice results. Are those dark green areas higher ground or how high are the hills?

Thanks. Dark green is higher, brown is higher than that, and white is the highest (surprisingly not present on this particular map). The highest currently is level 30. The darkest blue is level 1. Right now chunks are only spawned in a 2D grid, but I'm going to work on making them spawn in 3D so the map can be arbitrarily tall / deep.

I love where this is heading. Do you really simulate these masses of water in Minecraft style?
It's actually a much more complicated simulation than Minecraft. It is closer to the Dwarf Fortress water. There is finite water which flows around and can evaporate. Water is also not a kind of block but rather can be present in any block type.

The Rookie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: October 04, 2012, 01:29:22 PM »

This is looking really good! Even though it's not going to be quite as complicated as Dwarf Fortress do you think you will be able to make it run smoothly without lag on maybe not so high end computers?

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: October 04, 2012, 11:05:05 PM »

Couldn't sleep tonight, so I worked on a few things. Firstly, I made it possible to select the region of the map to start in. Second, I got erosion to work in the game by just linearly interpolating from an "erosion map." Third, I made the terrain more interesting by introducing a slight nonlinear term to the number of blocks per height. (It's something like # of blocks = height ^ ( 1.25))

This had some neat consequences, like natural rivers:

And cool looking mountains/canyons

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2012, 03:09:29 PM »

What the top of a huge mountain looks like:

And the caves underneath it:

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 05, 2012, 03:14:49 PM »

It's actually a much more complicated simulation than Minecraft. It is closer to the Dwarf Fortress water. There is finite water which flows around and can evaporate. Water is also not a kind of block but rather can be present in any block type.

Wouldn't it be possible to simplify it for large/stable bodies of water that are connected to:
the border of the world -> the ocean -> an infinite source of water?

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Ashkin
« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2012, 03:25:59 PM »

This project looks awesome. A question, though: Have you decided on a perspective for this? I imagine a lot would be lost top-down, and visibility would be impaired if you rotated it slightly downwards, so are you planning on camera controls?
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2012, 03:44:08 PM »

Wouldn't it be possible to simplify it for large/stable bodies of water that are connected to:
the border of the world -> the ocean -> an infinite source of water?

Yes, possible, but not nearly as awesome.

This project looks awesome. A question, though: Have you decided on a perspective for this? I imagine a lot would be lost top-down, and visibility would be impaired if you rotated it slightly downwards, so are you planning on camera controls?

Camera is controlled in FPS mode right now. I am adding a top-down scrolling mode as well.

Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2012, 04:17:49 PM »

You should throw in some random grasses and flowers there, just to spice up the terrain for a little.

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2012, 04:23:34 PM »

Made Grass motes:

And a particle system:

They're based on the same principle of batching a single sprite many times during a draw call. I will eventually make this much faster by doing it entirely on the GPU.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic