Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 03:02:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDwarfCorp: Ruthless Capitalism RTS in a Fantasy World
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 37
Print
Author Topic: DwarfCorp: Ruthless Capitalism RTS in a Fantasy World  (Read 100356 times)
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #540 on: July 18, 2013, 04:12:28 PM »

Volcanoes are a bit nicer now:

I also slightly refactored the biome system so its no longer continuous and instead is just read from the world map. This allows me to make "special biomes." For instance, the volcano is a special biome which tells the chunk generator to put stone instead of grass.

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #541 on: July 18, 2013, 09:56:40 PM »

Very cool stuff. I really like how the generated data is presented.

Unfortunately, I'm seeing some performance issues when I move the slice up/down. I've turned down the graphics as much as I can, and it still chugs.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: July 18, 2013, 11:26:42 PM »

It could be because the CPU recreating all the chunk buffers
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #543 on: July 19, 2013, 06:19:45 AM »

Chunk rebuilding is super-slow at the moment. Whenever I go up and down levels, I just shove all of the chunks onto a rebuilding queue that is sorted by distance from the camera. Then, all of the chunks are rebuilt with the new slice height. It does chug, but it doesn't lower framerate (for me) at all since my chunk rebuilding happens in a different thread.

I should come up with a smarter way of going up and down slices. Perhaps I can cache some of the information about slices. Perhaps I can just slice off the geometry in the GPU vertex shader before sending off the chunks to be rebuilt.

Cunnah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: July 19, 2013, 06:49:54 AM »

Couldn't you build each chunk to have vertical sections (say 10 or 20 slices high) have the required ones be calculated up front and then load the sections above and below calculated in as a Co-routine or some such?

Then when the player goes up in theory the section is already waiting to be loaded. If they go up too quick then you would still have some load time but for general play it shouldn't be noticeable. Perhaps even save altered chunks for quick fort navigation?

Perhaps I am talking out of my rear end ... lol.

Looks great btw!
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #545 on: July 19, 2013, 06:52:50 AM »

My concern is that it would waste a lot of memory to cache all that data. I can probably be smarter about not *throwing away* data that's already been calculated though. For instance I can just recalculate things which used to be completely invisible before, but now have exposed faces.

Cunnah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: July 19, 2013, 07:17:38 AM »

It does depend on what limits you have and how much it actually takes. As I am learning its a fine line between memory storage and load times. I switched to a predefined area model for my game. It has helped with controlling content but means a lot more has to be calculated during world gen. The only other thing I can think of is to cut down the number of chunks that you need to change. I assume you have a check to see if going up or down would affect a chunks appearance?

Whatever you are doing it looks great and I'm sure you will think of a better solution than what I can think of.
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #547 on: July 19, 2013, 10:29:57 AM »

Wow! Kickstarter already accepted our project! We could launch at any time now! We're going to use this weekend to polish a few things up.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 19, 2013, 11:08:20 AM »

congratz Smiley

Cunnah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: July 19, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »

Well done! I don't see you having problems reaching its target. If it doesn't the world is a very sad place.
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #550 on: July 19, 2013, 07:01:17 PM »

We’ve finally got all our paperwork in order and our Kickstarter is ready to be launched! Here’s some info on how it will happen:

Start Date: Wednesday, July 24th at 7:30 PM US Eastern Standard
End Date: Friday, August 23rd at 7:30 PM US Eastern Standard
Goal: $20,000
Check this page for more updates!

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #551 on: July 19, 2013, 07:14:19 PM »

Congratulations!

Here's one for glory (and profits!)!  Toast Right Toast Left

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 20, 2013, 12:54:15 AM »

it's happening!

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #553 on: July 20, 2013, 07:09:37 PM »

Got this wonderful comment today on our old trailer:

esto lo copio minecraft es identico like si es identico al minecraft

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #554 on: July 20, 2013, 09:02:52 PM »

Hey Bleak, don't sweat it. Minecraft's gone too long without any serious competition. Mojang is slacking.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: July 20, 2013, 09:14:35 PM »

Hey Bleak, don't sweat it. Dwarf fortress's gone too long without any serious competition.
FIXED

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #556 on: July 22, 2013, 09:41:16 PM »

Been really really busy getting the final bits in place for the kickstarter. I also uploaded a new version of the protoype which made chunk slicing way faster. More news coming tomorrow morning.

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #557 on: July 23, 2013, 04:05:50 AM »

Our Kickstarter is coming tomorrow! Here's a preview link

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1078333633/2042698520?token=f5370d58

I also pushed two new versions of the prototype:

1.012 drastically improves the speed of going up and down slices
1.013 replaces all unrecognized characters with '?' before drawing them.

The way I improved the speed was as follows:
1. There was a subtle bug causing all chunks to update lighting while going up or down levels. That was extremely slow.
2. Also, for every chunk that was getting changed, all the trees + dwarves would get polled to update their lighting status. That was slow.
3. The GPU is now responsible for cutting away fragments which fall above the current viewing slice. This makes slicing up and down for "entities" (dwarves, trees, grass, etc.) instantaneous, and gives the illusion that its going faster for chunks.
4. Chunks not needing an update when a slice is changed (for instance, because all the voxels in them are too low) are not rebuilt. This makes things way faster when you're just slicing off the top of a mountain.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 04:15:17 AM by BleakProspects » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: July 23, 2013, 04:52:26 AM »

If the dwarves are ruthless capitalists, does that make the goblins commies? Do the molemen have a social welfare state?
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #559 on: July 23, 2013, 04:53:52 AM »

They live in a Rousseuian natural state. They are noble savages.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 37
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic