Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:11:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge XII - Wasteland (GRYPHONSNYDER WINS!)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge XII - Wasteland (GRYPHONSNYDER WINS!)  (Read 12899 times)
Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2012, 01:14:47 PM »

Thanks for sharing; I enjoy this album very much. You did a good job capturing his aesthetics, I really hear the influence. Anyway, you managed to add an own and individual feeling to it.

Chrono Trigger's OST is great indeed. I love messing around with it on the piano (the 600AD theme gives me goosebumps everytime haha). However, the reason I'm here is probably the one and only Super Mega Man!
gryphonsnyder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2012, 09:52:51 PM »

@Lauchsuppe yeah i do recall Super Mega Man being pretty stellar.  Im glad you got to check out Oneohetrix too.  And thank you so much for the feedback.

Well its been a fun day. Been good to meet many of you.  Definitely hit me up on my soundcloud cause i enjoy hearing your music:
http://soundcloud.com/gryphsongs

Im going into the mountains for a few days so i will be absent from the forum until thursday.  Hope there is some new stuff posted by then. 

Until then... Tiger
keep it Tiger Style!
rofklaw
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2012, 03:09:26 PM »

Hello.

I've been lurking this place for a while, but I decided finally nut up and give this a shot.

The image in my head is this:

I see a civilization buried under mountains of sand. The wind shapes the landscape, occasionally revealing the rooftops of a once great city. The player is buffeted by a sandstorm, and each step is less sure as the dunes continually shift under your feet. There is no water, no sign of life. Only the indication of demise.

This is my first shot, but I hope you guys enjoy it nonetheless.

http://soundcloud.com/robert-clark-jewett/ancient-sands

lamontx
Level 0

I don't even know who Kuppo is. Kupo.

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2012, 07:13:35 PM »

@rofklaw: VERY nice. You wrote the percussion just like those crazy Japanese composers. Melodically there isn't much aside from that vibraphone-ish sound. But the harmony makes up for it! Was it in phrygian or did you use your own dissonant patterns? (Lol dissonant patterns doesn't make sense but most composers tend to have something like this of their own)

@Gryphon: like roflkaw, you had a very nice harmony going on, if not better. The atmospheric stuff going around randomly sounded very professional too! The only complaint I have is that at 1:30-ish that loud synth seems to be calling for the main melody but all we get is that harmony (which is still good by the way) until 2:00 where you get a pretty nice and memorable sounding melody. Perhaps if you listen to trance music you'll notice when that harmony and the loud synth came in, there's always some kind of crescendo (the crescendo is actually optional) ostinato-melody to help increase the tension and excitement, until the melody comes in. In other songs, the melody just jumps straight out without that kinda stuff and they work too  Smiley Good work.
Soundhound
Level 0

Music is my religion.

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2012, 05:18:18 AM »

@rofklaw Nice to see someone who interpreted the theme in a similar way to me, I particularly like the breathing sound going on, what is it? Authentic sounding percussion too.

@gryphonsnyder As if enough people haven't already complimented your work I thought I would too  Tongue the Nord Electro is VERY nice, can't afford one myself though lol Cry The big muff is a decent pedal too, only know people use it on guitar before though but hey it works.
medieval
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2012, 03:18:45 PM »

I'm a bit late with this post, but this challenge is now CLOSED for entry.
I will post my final judgements and choose a winner shortly
Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2012, 03:50:27 PM »

sweet - this contest has a lot of entries and even more discussion!

:   )

Thanks for hosting it yoshimitsu and thanks to everyone for entering - can't wait to see what the results.

EveEllis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2012, 08:13:19 PM »

I'm a bit late with this post, but this challenge is now CLOSED for entry.
I will post my final judgements and choose a winner shortly

Enjoy!
medieval
« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2012, 11:30:53 AM »

Ladies and gentlemen,

Thanks everybody for entering, this time around we've got as many as 14 entries!
Before I announce the conclusion of this challenge, I shall summarize my opinions of all the songs here:
LamontX - Snow Wasteland
I like this one, it has a nice Zelda-ish vibe to it and an unexpected twist halfway.

MoritzPGKatz - Marooned
You have illustrated very well what I had in mind when I chose the Wasteland theme. I love the creepy vibe and the drums

Score_VGM - Streets of L.A
I love the strong sound of the guitar, though the bass sound (digital?) and the lack of any other layers makes the song feel somewhat flat, which doesn't do well for illustrating this theme.

Alcyoneus - Wasteland Wanderer
This is a great blend of melody and atmosphere, and the drums pounding in the background give it -just- enough pace. great job

Eigen - Midst Anywhere
With this song I imagine being stranded in the desert on a foreign planet, desperate and alone, traces of life only existing in my imagination.

Calum Bowen - Lost in the Stars
Great stuff, I like how the minimal and echo-ey nature of it illustrates the kind of void that is space.

David Lopez Tichy - Wasteland
This is so intense. When the instrument at 0.07 kicks in I am hypnotized in an instant. The rest of the track reminds me of

, which is a very positive sign.

EveEllis - Just To Find You
There is not at all any need to set a loop to repeat, and I like your track. Quite a creative interpretation of the theme too, that's cool!

Judah Roydes - No-one Nowhere
This song is fast-paced and yet in the world it projects there's obviously something wrong, love the tension in this one.

SoundHound - Wasteland
I dig the dnb-like vibe in this song, nice and intense too!

lauchsuppe - Toxic Solitude
This is horror game type of stuff man, I was a little confused when the chiptune-like sound kicked in, but somehow it works. Nice job!

tipp - strawberry
This sounds very mysterious, so lonesome, and the strange voice gave me the chills. Love it

gryphonsnyder - Sandbox
Amazing. This song gives me an otherworldly trip unlike any music I've ever heard before, and it's so beautiful that it almost gives me tears in my eyes.

rofklaw - Ancient Sands
I get a sort of tomb ruins vibe from this song, the breathing noise is pretty creepy too!

The winner of round XII of the TIGSource Musical Challenge is..

GryphonSnyder!

Congratulations, your entry was the most captivating and beautiful of them all. Good luck with hosting the next challenge!

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2012, 12:15:40 PM »

Thanks for the feedback and congrats to GryphonSnyder! Beer!

Looking forward to the next challenge. Bring it on!

Soundhound
Level 0

Music is my religion.

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2012, 01:21:31 PM »

Congrats Gryphonsnyder! But really, is anyone surprised? Wink I wait in anticipation for what theme you decide on.

Also congratulations to everyone else on their awesome compositions, it was great to have so many varied and interested takes on theme.
gryphonsnyder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2012, 04:47:53 PM »

Hey thanks guys Tears of Joy  I am honored by your responses to the song. 

It has been a pleasure meeting you here so far and i look forward to facilitating the next round.  I move tomorrow, across the US to San Francisco so i may be a bit busy tonight.  But i will try to get one started as soon as possible. 

And great job with all the music.  The world cant get enough creativity, so its rad that everyone here is writing and producing some baller tunes.  HIGH FIVE!

gryphonsnyder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2012, 04:52:29 PM »

Oh and yoshimitsu.  Thank you so much for hosting this one.  You did a fantastic job! 
lamontx
Level 0

I don't even know who Kuppo is. Kupo.

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2012, 06:52:04 AM »

Congratulations Gryph  Smiley

Who'll do the next one?
Soundhound
Level 0

Music is my religion.

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2012, 07:34:38 AM »

@lamontx The rules are that the winner of each competition hosts the next one
Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: September 12, 2012, 09:33:17 AM »

congrats dude - you earned it!

looking forward to the next one.

MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

"Was he an animal, that music could move him so?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2012, 10:45:59 AM »

Congrats, Griff! Like I wrote, your song was my favorite too. You've got a fantastic sound.

And thanks to Yoshimitsu for being a wonderful host.

Looking forward to the next challenge!

Cheers,
Moritz

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
Halcyon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2012, 04:49:34 AM »

Congrats mate, really awesome piece! Great job to everyone else also, it was good to see so many excellent entries.  Smiley
dlt.fm
Level 0

I make atmospheric music.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: September 14, 2012, 09:05:50 PM »

That was a lot of fun, and quite the philosophical discussion was had.  We laughed, we cried, we facepalmed.

Now...

David Lopez Tichy - dlt.fm
Composer for film & interactive

soundcloud: davidlopeztichy
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2012, 05:40:48 AM »

could you guys put all the song in one post with links, KTHXBYE

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7