Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:49:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsMoai tutorial series
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Moai tutorial series  (Read 6974 times)
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2012, 04:55:53 PM »

A new shiny ball named Moai just bounced by and caught my attention...  so now I've started yet another tutorial series.

If you have never heard of it, Moai is a mobile devkit, written in C++ but scripted in Lua.  It has attracted some pretty big names and has launched a few pretty cool games. You can get a bit more details here and of course, you can get Moai itself right here.  It's completely free, powerful and at times, kinda tricky... but so far, it's also a lot of fun.

The series is remarkably small at this point, but I will be adding quite a few posts in the future, I will edit them in here as I add them:

Configuring an IDE

Moai kinda drops you in off the deep end.  This guide goes into detail on how to setup and configure (the free) IntelliJ IDEA ide to work with Moai.  By the end you will have auto completion ( intellisense ) and be able to run your Moai app host straight from the IDE.  From this point it is all just coding and nothing but coding.

Setup and Hello World

By law I had to do a Hello World, and here it is.  This short tutorial covers installing Moai, running the samples and creating a simple Hello World app.

More coming soon, hope some of you enjoy!

EDIT: Table of contents now available.

EDIT2: The quicky version of the table of contents, updated as new content added.

Part One: Opening a window and creating a viewport
Part Two: Loading and displaying a sprite
Part Three: Touching and clicking, clicking and touching
Part Four: Dealing with the keyboard... or not

Guides:
Configuring IntelliJ IDE to work with Moai ( auto completion and run from IDE )
Building your Moai app for Android
Moai and Lua learning and reference list
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 10:18:09 AM by Serapth » Logged
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 06:22:35 PM »

I was just trying Moai the other days! It definitely need more tutorial/document so I really do appreciate this Smiley Thank you!

Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 03:58:52 PM »

The code related parts of the tutorial are now live, as well as the table of contents.

The series is aimed at a complete beginner ( with prior programming experience in *a* language ).  It is very conversational and hopefully fun.

Updates, part one and part two.  Setup and display in the first, displaying sprites is in the other.

More coming soon.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 01:20:43 PM »

Another tutorial added to the series.

Handling touch and click events

Also added the guide

Building a Moai Android application.  If you are new to Java, well... have fun Smiley
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:00:57 PM by Serapth » Logged
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 10:13:53 AM »

Updated, new tutorial: Handling the keyboard.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 04:23:42 PM »

Two new Moai tutorials.

This one covers creating a gui using Moaigui

This one is all about playing audio
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 01:52:41 PM »

New tutorial, this one on working with tile maps.

This is an area where Moai absolutely rocks, so if you are thinking about using a top down 2D map, check out how remarkably capable MOAI is in this regard.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 05:59:13 PM »

Added another guide, Using Moai in Google Chrome's Native Client

If you weren't aware, Moai allows you to target Google Chrome NaCL as well.  This guide shows you how to do it.  Basically, you build a host application ( the guide shows you how and Zipline provided the source, or you can just download it ).  Then you copy your lua project into the same directory and presto... your app running in Chrome.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic