Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 03:13:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessCross-promotion platform specifically for ios Indies?
Poll
Question: Would you be interested in a cross-promotion platform specifically for iOS indie developers?
Yes - 9 (56.3%)
No - 3 (18.8%)
Maybe - 2 (12.5%)
If it were on [insert platform] instead - 2 (12.5%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cross-promotion platform specifically for ios Indies?  (Read 1919 times)
DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« on: August 23, 2012, 03:02:56 PM »

One of the major problems with indie games on iOS is visibility - especially for those who don't make it into apple's featured list.  Big companies solve this by cross-promoting between their own games.  Since most indies don't have a whole lot of games to help leverage themselves, my business partner and I have been developing a cross promotion platform for iOS to help combat this issue.  I'm trying to gauge interest.

To prevent it from over-polution there would be two measures in place. 1. It's an invite-only closed system and you only have a certain number of invites available (you can request more if you run out).  2. Tit for Tat game downloads. if you send a download to a specific game, then that game will continue to show your ad until that download is returned.  Each developer would be able to select their preferred 5 games they'd like to support in the cross promotion page, with one slot being variable to repay the traffic sent to you from elsewhere.

The cost of membership would be only high enough to pay the server costs or whatnot.  It would not be a means to make a profit.

My question is how many iOS game developers out there would be interested in this service?

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 04:24:32 PM »

Sounds like a really great idea Dan,
I am someone who only has one game published to iOS at the moment and it's finding it hard to get attention.
I think indies really do need to group together if we wan't to compete with the big money out there on iOS and this idea sounds like a great way to do just that!

_discovery
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 07:14:02 PM »

David Edery (Spry Fox, Triple Town) mentions cross promotion on iOS, and facebook, and how little it helps (surprisingly).
http://www.edery.org/2012/08/your-first-f2p-game-where-you-will-go-wrong/

Thought this might be worth looking at either way, though doing more to cross promote can't hurt anyone.

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 09:34:11 PM »

I had planned something like this for Sword Surfer, by including characters from other peoples' games as playable characters (have 2 so far), with possibly a way to link to those people's games in the App Store in-game. Still have to actually finish Sword Surfer, but that's the plan, anyway.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 10:57:28 PM by Destral » Logged

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 11:27:48 AM »

David Edery (Spry Fox, Triple Town) mentions cross promotion on iOS, and facebook, and how little it helps (surprisingly).
http://www.edery.org/2012/08/your-first-f2p-game-where-you-will-go-wrong/

Thought this might be worth looking at either way, though doing more to cross promote can't hurt anyone.

Awesome talk, thanks for that link!  By no means am I claiming that this is a solution to everything, but it certainly is one contributing factor that we as a community can solve.  It's up to you to go out and beyond just cross-promotion to make your game a success.

DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 12:03:21 AM »

I had really anticipated there would be more of a response to this.  Interesting result.  Thanks guys.

True Valhalla
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 01:59:11 AM »

I'd probably be satisfied with cross-promotion between my own apps, or "house ads".
HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 02:33:00 AM »

I'm late to this, but I'd be interested. Cheesy

alts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 07:46:38 PM »

There have been a number of attempts to do something similar, and they've all fizzled.

One example that I could recall: http://indieappsalliance.org/

The main problem is that cross promotion really only works in volume, and most of the members in these networks do not have the audience to provide much of a benefit to the network. Conversion rates on these things, even between games with very similar audiences, is pretty minimal. What works much better is providing an incentive in game A for downloading game B. Those work, but require a deeper level of integration than is possible with a distributed network.

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 08:18:55 PM »

There have been a number of attempts to do something similar, and they've all fizzled.

One example that I could recall: http://indieappsalliance.org/

The main problem is that cross promotion really only works in volume, and most of the members in these networks do not have the audience to provide much of a benefit to the network. Conversion rates on these things, even between games with very similar audiences, is pretty minimal. What works much better is providing an incentive in game A for downloading game B. Those work, but require a deeper level of integration than is possible with a distributed network.

I don't think you can even do that on iOS - isn't it against Apple's TOS or somesuch to have apps interact with each other like that?

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
alts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 08:33:09 PM »

I don't think you can even do that on iOS - isn't it against Apple's TOS or somesuch to have apps interact with each other like that?

I haven't read it in a while, but the TOS did forbid offering an incentive for app installations. While Apple's language in the TOS was broad, enforcement was specifically targeted at things like Tapjoy, where companies were paying for installs within other apps. They weren't pleased that their top rankings were effectively being bought. In my experience, these more direct promotions have been alright.

bluescrn
Level 1

Unemployed Coder / Full-time Indie :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 03:39:09 PM »

I like the Pickford Bros. idea of 'Games We Like':

http://www.zee-3.com/pickfordbros/gameswelike.php

Now it's been a web-based initiative so far, but I'm adding a Games We Like screen to my current project, with a little bit of info and direct links to the App Store.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic