Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:52:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Why has unity3d become so popular?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Why has unity3d become so popular?  (Read 20088 times)
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 09:59:26 PM »

I don't get it, why would you pay for an engine or have a half engine. 
Can someone enlightened me?

Why do people buy anything? To have something that would take to long to create themselves.

Who made your clothes? Whose house are you sitting in? Who assembled the chips in your computer? Why didn't you do it all yourself? Are you lazy or something?
THIS.

Also, indietom, it doesn't seem like you're looking for a discussion on 'Why Unity is popular' anymore? The topic seems to go into a direction of 'Why use existed engine and not making your own?', which I would suggest you to read this

To get back on topic, I think how the indie version is completely free also play a big part in their popularity. I don't think I would have picked Unity, if they still charge for Indie version.

IndieEmma
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 01:52:41 AM »

If you're a Linux humping nerd who thinks only the best things in life are coded in C/C++, then you will probably not enjoy Unity.

True story
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 03:38:23 AM »

I also invite people to click on the image in my signature to see what writing your own engine can do.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 06:45:09 AM »

there are not a lot of <\===R3AL PR0GR4MM3R5===/> around here Cool

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
st33d
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2012, 06:56:43 AM »

That's because every time someone claims to be a real programmer, we pull out The Story of Mel. A real programmer.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2012, 10:14:52 AM »

"If a program can't rewrite its own code," he asked, "what good is it?"

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2012, 11:02:06 AM »

this is a good argument

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2012, 11:03:49 AM »

I program directly with my penis.
st33d
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2012, 11:12:24 AM »

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2012, 11:15:50 AM »

That's why I'm very careful with it.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2012, 11:18:19 PM »

@toast_trip : in Klik& Play ?  Panda

@MadK : thats looking very very great, and also a counter measure to the  passive nastyness  in this
as an illustration of this, i invite people to click on indietom's signature to see what coding your own engine can do, it's pretty impressive
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2012, 02:07:22 AM »

i don't see how there is any nastiness in it, what i meant was that coding a custom engine to make a game that can be made with a few clicks in game maker is largely a waste of time (unless one enjoys programming). also, even tho madk's custom engine game looks better than indietom's, i don't see anything in it that couldn't be done with game maker or flixel/flashpunk or unity or any other such engine. unless someone's custom-engine game can do something that those engines can't do i'll have to view coding the low-level engine part of their game as a waste of time and effort
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:28:54 AM by Paul Eres » Logged

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2012, 03:28:56 AM »

I'm considering switching to unity as it has a large number of useful features: cross platform, art asset pipeline, ect. I've heard, though, that its physics engine is not of paticularly high quality. Unity is also not particularly strong at 2d from what I understand.

From a cursory glance at indietom's project I would probably choose flixel, but really depending on the programmer it doesn't make much difference. Its not like coding his game from scratch would really take any longer than using unity. Particularly this is true if the coder in question has never used unity.

The story of Mel was quite entertaining. I can definitely respect him, but also I've always wanted to try to trick an abrasive coding jock into trying to write a piece of code that is known to be impossible to write from a theoretical standpoint.

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2012, 04:48:21 AM »

The way I see it, I could:

1) Write an engine, then make games with it.

OR

2) Let a 200 person team spend tens of millions of dollars making an engine for me. Spend all my time making games.

If I was solely a hobbyist this might be a real decision. As it is I need games to pay my bills, so this is not a real decision.

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2012, 05:28:41 AM »

i don't see how there is any nastiness in it, what i meant was that coding a custom engine to make a game that can be made with a few clicks in game maker is largely a waste of time (unless one enjoy sprogramming). also, even tho madk's custom engine game looks better than indietom's, i don't see anything in it that couldn't be done with game maker or flixel/flashpunk or unity or any other such engine. unless someone's custom-engine game can do something that those engines can't do i'll have to view it the low-level engine part of their game as a waste of time and effort

I made a basic falling sand game in less than five minutes in my engine. The script is eleven lines and this is including the bits that handle the things that aren't physics.

Also, really awesome scripting capabilities powered by Lua.

My engine is badass and I think Flash and Game Maker both suck.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2012, 07:51:13 AM »

Yeah I wrote my own framework which was basically to address issues I have with Flixel and other state based libraries. I can write a basic game in about half the time I would with Flixel. I love programming too so it's not a total waste of time.

As for Unity. It's been a long time since I used it but I first tried it because I heard you can drag a max file into Unity and it would automatically handle the whole import process. I did this and what I got was a untextured model. I would have to rebuild and reapply all the materials. That's essentially the same as all other engines to some degree. Have they fixed this?

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2012, 08:18:35 AM »

1. For starters, Unity 3D is considerably more feature-complete than most engines. It has the majority of what most developers need built into it from the beginning.

2. It has a much larger amount of up-to-date documentation and tutorials than most other engines. The company has done a fine job of maintaining an active community around the engine and has kept up effective documentation to help support that community.

3. Unity works more effectively with asset importing. Not only does it support export formats for major 3D programs like Max and Maya, but it is also one of the only commercial game engines designed to play nice with Blender. With Blender files, it isn't even necessary to import anything. You just put your .blend files in the assets folder, and Unity does the rest. It works the same for all other assets, and will automatically update those assets whenever you alter them.

4. Unity opened up their licensing to allow for a free version of their engine. While the free version is lacking a handful of features, most of these removed features relate to advanced rendering. It is quite easy for most developers to get by just fine using the free edition of the editor and engine.

5. Unity altered their licensing to allow more cost-effective licensing for developers using the free version of their engine. Once upon a time, you had to buy the full pro license before you could start buying further export options. Unity changed all this to make purchasing export options more cost-effective for smaller indies. Now you can purchase export targets for the free version, and these cost considerably less than the full pro version.

6. Unity released their editor cross-platform. Originally the Unity editor was only available on Mac, and this severely limited its appeal for indie development. The popularity of the engine increased considerably after Unity released the main editor for Windows as well. Now developers can not only target other platforms, but work on them as well.

Unity has done a fine job of making their engine an appealing option to a broad range of developers. While it is not always the ideal solution, it is definitely an affordable, well-documented solution.
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2012, 08:21:41 AM »

Yeah I wrote my own framework which was basically to address issues I have with Flixel and other state based libraries.

Which issues do you have with it? I quite like state-based stuff, so I'm quite interested in any improvements Smiley

CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2012, 08:35:30 AM »

But with unity3d you are limited to what the engine can do, but if you write your own engine you can do a lot more.
Let me know when you complete your engine that can do all the features in this link.

http://unity3d.com/unity/licenses

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »

One minus of Unity is that you have to use teh component-based programming.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic