Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:24:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesRedMan [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: RedMan [FINISHED]  (Read 15092 times)
PeteMedina
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2008, 08:43:38 PM »

Introducing RedMan

RedMan is a play on The Sims. You run around the house trying to maintain your motives while avoiding death by fire, Grim Reaper, and mood decay. There are four levels to suffer through. You'll need a lot of control to survive.

RedMan was created by James Higgins (programming), Peter S. Medina (art) and Matthew Medina (music).

Fun Facts:

• The title RedMan comes from from an early prototype sprite man who was all red.
  • The game was created using GameMaker.
  • The music was created using a GarageBand (Mac) "8 bit" plugin from YMCK.net
  • We're including the original GameMaker project file, so you can make your own versions. It's released under a Creative Commons license, so go for it. We left out the SecuROM DRM, too  Wink

Important Note:

We released two playable files. The first version, redman.exe, has double the resolution of redman_nz.exe -- redman_nz.exe was created for people who have trouble with redman.exe, since it can scale poorly on some computers. Try redman.exe, and if things are poorly aligned, try redman_nz.exe.

Small Update:

We just updated the RedMan to be easier during the first couple levels. It's no fun seeing him burn to death so soon in the game.

Download Redman:

www.thesiddog.com/RedMan.zip

We hope you enjoy,

-Pete Medina
-James Higgins
-Matt Medina
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 05:41:52 AM by PeteMedina » Logged
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 10:42:39 PM »

Hilarious deconstruction of the Sims. Only played the first two levels so far. I love how frustrating it is when the grim reaper is parked in front of the magic smiling poster, and how every level eventually ends with the house burning down.

increpare
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 01:48:49 AM »

Just downloading it now...really like the tileset! Smiley
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 05:32:44 AM »

It reminds me of "Little Computer People" which is a game from when I was a kid on the C64. Which in reality was the first sims. It looks amazingly the same.
PeteMedina
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 05:49:05 AM »

Noyb: It gets worse when the reaper blocks a hall. Plants have the same effect as the poster. Glad you like the fire -- it spawns earlier and earlier with each level. You can adjust it in the GameMaker project file, under the individual level code.

increpare: Thanks. We were originally trying to make it as close to the NES as possible. Hence the limited colors and sizes. We loosened up towards the end -- I don't think the NES would be able to display as many colors at once (the rooms and objects). Originally, each room was going to be a level.

Powergloved Andy: Originally we were going to give it a side view, not top-down. It would have really looked like Little Computer People then, haha.

By the way, if anybody wants to create their own levels in GameMaker, just copy the existing levels and delete everything under the GUI. Otherwise you'll have to set that up to. I'm going to see if we can get a level tutorial up.

Thanks for playing.
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 02:53:06 PM »

Powergloved Andy: Originally we were going to give it a side view, not top-down. It would have really looked like Little Computer People then, haha.

Oh by the way, I was multi-tasking while posting, I came off as a douche, you really did a good job, I meant to have that in the original post! Sorry!
Zaphos
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 08:31:33 PM »

I like it Smiley

You'll need a lot of control to survive.
About that -- you might want to pick a more obscure 'level skip' key Wink
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 01:58:21 PM »

• The music was created using a GarageBand (Mac) "8 bit" plugin from YMCK.net

I used YMCK's VST for the Gang Garrison II music, also! I found out about it because I'm a fan of their music, so it was nice to get to use it in a track.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
increpare
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 07:13:09 PM »

Just played it there a bit earlier.  Thought it was pretty funny/hard Smiley  Graphics lived to up my expectations; soundtrack wasn't too annoying.  Some more sound effects might have been nice?
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 07:04:32 AM »

Hmm... I'm a bit confused here Smiley

I started the game, wandered around trying to figure out what to do, pressed CTRL and was teleported to a different place. Pressed CTRL two times more, and then it said "YOU WIN". Did I win? Smiley

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 07:15:05 AM »

I guess that must have been the level skip key :D
PeteMedina
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 05:16:42 PM »

Hmm... I'm a bit confused here Smiley

I started the game, wandered around trying to figure out what to do, pressed CTRL and was teleported to a different place. Pressed CTRL two times more, and then it said "YOU WIN". Did I win? Smiley

Haha, no, that was our handy-dandy level-skip key. A bad choice, looking back. It was a pain trying to "crtl+print screen" the image you see above. Thanks for playing.
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 06:54:19 PM »

I hit every on my keyboard trying to find the 'action' button  Lips Sealed
Fun and elegant game though, one I figued it out.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 08:40:43 PM »

Yeah looks interesting but what are the controls?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 08:53:45 PM »

are there any controls aside from the arrows?

PeteMedina
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 05:53:34 PM »

There are NO controls other than the arrow keys. Your mood bars will auto fill once you stand next to the required objects.  Beer!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic