Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:53:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesCyber Trauma 2[FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cyber Trauma 2[FINISHED]  (Read 15115 times)
Cj Darkanjel
Level 0

LIVE SDRAWKCAB

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2008, 08:56:52 PM »

Here's my entry.

I've got various entities and deadlines coming down on all sides on me, so I'll have to make this quick.

Link for executable jar+graphics:

http://rapidshare.com/files/143522921/CyberTrauma2.zip

Known troubles:
Must unzip to work , with all files in the same area.
Must have most current version of Java runtime enviroment.
I will hopefully learn more reliable ways to export java programs in the future.

Credits:
Golden T engine. Graphics by me. There are only 3 levels, and it will quit automatically.

If it doesn't work, I probably can't help, but I'm extremely open to suggestions.

Oh, and If you couldn't tell, its a side scrolly spoof of System Shock 2.

EDIT: New Download using the wrapper suggested by Ciardhubh.

http://rapidshare.com/files/143989431/CyberTrauma2.zip.html

Once More with feeling.

http://rapidshare.com/files/144268120/CyberTrauma2.zip.html
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 06:00:44 PM by Cj Darkanjel » Logged

There is nothing fear, but land sharks. F***ing land sharks.
Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 02:53:17 AM »

A nice attempt, but didn't quite hit the mark. I encountered a few bugs (collecting ammo never appeared to work properly, for example)... and the movement was a little odd.

Still, with a little polish, bug fixes, and more interesting level design, you could have something here. SS2 is one of my favorite games, and it's nice to see someone demake it.
Ciardhubh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 03:53:44 AM »

Must have most current version of Java runtime enviroment.
I will hopefully learn more reliable ways to export java programs in the future.

Launch4j is a nice tool that wraps Java applications in a platform-specific execution layer (e.g. .exe on Win). You can also bundle a JRE with the app, so the end user doesn't have to take care of getting one; or you can direct them to the Java download page if the installed JRE is too old.

Of course you'll have to manage different distributions for various platforms but you gain a little end-user friendliness. It works with Win, Mac and Linux and is easy to use.

http://launch4j.sourceforge.net/

Or you can just use .bat, .sh, etc shell scripts for people that don't know how to double click a .jar.
Cj Darkanjel
Level 0

LIVE SDRAWKCAB

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 04:31:30 AM »

Thanks for the advice all round. This is in fact, my first attempt to make a game without some sort of maker, and I learned a ****load in the process. I'll probably be perfecting the engine and implementing it in something else.

I also learned to hate deadlines.

medieval
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 05:03:50 AM »

Poor you, nobody cared about your game.
Shut up. We don't treat people like this around here.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 10:35:50 AM »

I think the latest java license enables youu to package your game with a customized JRE (i.e. you can remove all the parts you don't need). You can get it down to 2 megabytes or sthg.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Cj Darkanjel
Level 0

LIVE SDRAWKCAB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 04:33:03 PM »

Added Download link to main post for a wrapped version the game. Haven't been able to test it, but I figured I'd offer it. Feedback would be appreciated.

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 09:53:53 PM »

I tried to run the second download, but got the message "This application was configured to use a bundled Java Runtime Environment but the runtime is missing or corrupted."

Ciardhubh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 02:33:10 AM »

I tried to run the second download, but got the message "This application was configured to use a bundled Java Runtime Environment but the runtime is missing or corrupted."

If you want to bundle a specific JRE, you have to include it and give a relative path at "bundled JRE path" (e.g. ./jre1.6.0_07). However you might want to reduce its size because 60+ mb isn't very download friendly. No idea what license issues may or may not arise when including the JRE.

Alternatively just put nothing in "bundled JRE path" and specify a min/max version (e.g. 1.5.0) and let it search for an already installed one once the user runs it (notifying the user where to download one if he doesn't have one installed).

A user friendly and lightweight way would probably be to create an executable for every platform with the check box "Don't wrap, launch only" checked and no JRE included. This way you don't have to include the jar in every executable.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 02:38:49 AM by Ciardhubh » Logged
Cj Darkanjel
Level 0

LIVE SDRAWKCAB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 06:01:26 PM »

added one more download using the Minimum JRE tactic. See how it works.

jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 01:51:44 AM »

On the third (or fourth) level, you spawn on top of some zombies. Is that intentional? It wasn't very fun...

Cj Darkanjel
Level 0

LIVE SDRAWKCAB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 01:19:30 PM »

the last level had absolute 0 though put into it, though in personal experience (which happened after completion) I've found the height from which you are dropped generally allows enough time to to avoid them, but I acknowledged its flawedness.

Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 09:35:04 AM »

A better way to deploy it would be using Java Web Start, that way you let the system handle all the JRE choice and setup and your game remains small.

Example http://slashie.net/luck/luck.jnlp

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 05:58:20 AM »

Nice engine you got there.You should work a bit more on the physics, collision and stuff.Worked for me at the first try. Beer!

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Cj Darkanjel
Level 0

LIVE SDRAWKCAB

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 08:19:43 AM »

At an early stage, there was a bit more physics involved, but some was removed as it was making testing difficult (such as enemies falling off screen) and hard to get to work perfectly. Currently rebuilding the engine from scratch, based on what I learned from making this game.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic