Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:17:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDads
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dads  (Read 7138 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: June 17, 2007, 05:46:57 PM »

Happy Father's Day!

Anyone have dads that play games?  What do they play?  My pops and I used to play Zelda together all the time and these days he's still playing Diablo 2... over and over again.  Blizzard needs to release Diablo 3 just for him, that poor guy. Tongue
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 10:26:31 PM by Derek » Logged
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 06:04:22 PM »

Hardball on the Amiga

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 06:36:57 PM »

I wanna meet that dad.

Doo dah doo doo doo!

Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 06:45:07 PM »

Woo. Had me worried there. I forgot the date varies from country to country.

My parents both profess to hate video games, though I found a pac-man pro-handbook in their stuff once. Possibly something traumatising happened at like a big pac-man championship tournament and now they don't like to talk about it.
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 06:47:50 PM »

Possibly something traumatising happened at like a big pac-man championship tournament and now they don't like to talk about it.
My father sat me down at a young age and gave me a lecture on power pills.

"Son," he said, "don't fucking eat any power pills. The high is great but then your ass gets trapped by some pissed-off ghosts. That's how I met your mother."

"Dad," I said, "Please stop swinging your knife at that picture of Margaret Thatcher when you're talking to me."

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 07:14:26 PM »

My dad hates videogames and I think it is to his eternal disappointment that I took an interest in them, and not sports.

However, I am also a dad.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Steve Swink
Swank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 08:37:31 PM »

I wanna meet that dad.

Doo dah doo doo doo!

Ha ha...this has totally infected Flashbang; we say it all the time.

Dad and I played an esoteric NES classic for endless hours - Pinbot: the Pinball Robot.  Also, my whole family used to play Tetris together a lot.

More recently, we played Metroid Prime.

Man, dads are cool.

Steve Swink
Game Designer, Enemy Airship
Content Director, IGF
sswink (at) enemyairship(dot) com
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 10:26:57 PM »

My pop likes all the 3d Zeldas ('cept WW) but mostly is drawn to Consolic FPSes. The Turoks stand out, but only because I can't think of any others right now...
He also played Jet Force Gemini pretty good, and was a threat in multiplayer DK64 (I didn't know you could camp in that game). And he pwns in Galaga, Pac-man, and Centipede, (all of which I suck at). He was more of an arcade dude as a kid.
Lately, he's been playing mad TetrisDS.
Man, dads are cool.
Word.

Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 11:55:57 PM »

The only game me and my dad used to play is Pilotwings for the Super Nintendo. Every once in a while we play a quick match of Counterstrike 1.6, but the games usually do not last long. He plays solely with his pointer finger to hit WASD. Tongue
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 12:21:02 AM »

Me and my siblings would huddle around our dad and watch him play Commander Keen an' Astro Rock (God, Astro Rock rocked. When you got an extra life it would shout "BITCH'N!!!" or when you died "BUMMER!" and you were in a spaceship shaped like a guitar) for hours.
Course, he hasn't played any videogames since I was about 6, though.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 07:33:05 AM »

another fake holiday designed for the sole purpose of making me feel like shit because i didnt buy my dad a fucking cordless drill.

anyway, dad got me into gaming.
2 years old, on his lap, playing some obscure c64 game.
and then when i was 4, he bought me a NES with zelda, mario and tetris for xmas.
it was actualy as much for him as it was for me.
he'd translate me all the hints in zelda.
didnt read much english when i was 4.

there was also all the tiems we were both playing MYST or RIVEN, and we'd trade hints and solutions.

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 01:44:01 PM »

my daughter's father is totally into games.  Wink

my dad played a little arcade Pacman like most people his age, but for him it was all about Tempest. He also brought home our wood grain, 2600 many many years ago so if nothing else, he's responsible for my addiction.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 01:49:56 PM »

My dad's english was never good enough, so he would play games that were less verbose and more dynamic. That said, my father has an taste for puzzle games and platformers, including:

Yoshi's Island
Super Mario World
Pac-Man
Super Bomberman 2 & 5 (he has player every super bomberman like 1000 times, but those are his favs)
Worms: Armageddon (he is inmensely addicted to that game, ever since I installed the demo)
Tetris Attack
Tetris & Dr Mario
Q*Bert 3

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 03:12:32 PM »

there was a time where my dad took my gamecube from the basement, plugged it in the livingroom and just started playing zelda ocarina of time from begining to end. he hadnt played a zelda since the first one.

then when he was done with that, he started playing animal crossing.
intensely. furiously.
all the time.
for months.

it was amzing to see.
this grumpy old man who usualy just sits there and read sci-fi spent most of his free time picking apples and platings flowers.

it was totally weird.

frosty
Level 1

ice cold & refreshing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 03:42:01 PM »

My dad only plays Spider Solitaire, but he likes my games.  Being a computer geek since the late 70's, he's sort of responsible for getting me and my brothers into computer games.  I remember he'd enter BASIC versions of games from magazines into the Bally, TRS-80, or Vic-20 and just let us play.  He also came up with way of sending chess moves over the phone for the Astrocade (I think)... this was probably 1981, and the thing only had 1K of memory.  =)

Actually, when we were at lunch yesterday he came up with a Great Idea to make a game using real traffic data on the internet.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 04:20:59 PM »

When I was about 8, my dad got me this book, cause he felt I was going to spend a lot of time near the computer, I might as well be doing something productive:

AmigaBASIC ftw.

MattC
Level 0

TIGSourcerer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 04:25:23 PM »

When I was about 8, my dad got me this book, cause he felt I was going to spend a lot of time near the computer, I might as well be doing something productive:

AmigaBASIC ftw.

I totally have that book in my hands right now. Get 'em while they're young, I say.
Greg Squire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 05:09:51 PM »

Whoa! That's a trip down memory lane.  That was the first programming book that I ever bought. I was 14 at the time and had just bought a TI-99/4a with my paper route money.  Ah the memories!  Grin
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic