Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:38:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Recommended size for pixel art platformer sprite.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Recommended size for pixel art platformer sprite.  (Read 114091 times)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 10:34:46 AM »

the correct order of things is:
1-make one-screen mockup with approx size, to set up scale and atmosphere of the game
2-make playable prototype with placholder mock sprites, in the scale you have chosen at step 1
3-make artwork
4-???
5-profit

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
enthrallstudios
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 10:36:22 AM »

Obviously. I have been working on my engine and game for about 1.5 years. We are to a point where we are starting to work on artwork. I was just purely curious about the sizes that people generally stick around for their characters.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 11:26:51 AM »

Just curious, why are we still using power of 2 sizes for tiles? I can imagine there used to be constraints by the hardware, but it shouldn't be a problem anymore nowadays.

It's still a problem on many platforms. Textures for a lot of things have to be in multiples of two before they're fed for rendering. That's how the graphics libraries are wired up. You don't have to worry about this sort of thing in Flash, but it's an issue you have to work around elsewhere.

Indeed. The BGE will blurrily stretch textures if they're not of power-of-2 sizes. Not that big of a deal, but yeah, it still matters.

Obviously. I have been working on my engine and game for about 1.5 years. We are to a point where we are starting to work on artwork. I was just purely curious about the sizes that people generally stick around for their characters.

My current project uses 16x16 character sprites, though I want to aim for larger sprites for more detail for other projects.

st33d
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 12:20:35 PM »

Bit weird that you haven't settled on a tile size after all that time, but I don't even know if your game uses tiles.

If it does, I recommend one that isn't so big that it makes level design impossible and not so small that it makes level design a painful chore. And generally a character should be about a 2x2 tiles maximum and anything smaller helps with coding collision - but not so small it's hard to see.
enthrallstudios
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 12:28:44 PM »

No, it's not tile-based. The engine is written completely from scratch and uses some complex ideas. The plan is actually to make it open-source and share it with the indie community as well as the level editing tools. It uses a pure-aggregate component system, and I spent a lot of time making it so that anyone could add in new components, or replace old components without it affecting the rest of your code. I also support 3 scripting languages. It's a pretty good amount of work considering I also have a full-time dev job, as well as writing the entire story for the game, which is complete. I wrote some simple concept tests a while back, and the gameplay is a lot of fun. Now is just the point where I am looking at art styles, and making a mockup before I start getting heavily into actual development of the game, as apposed to engine development which is what all of my work has been. It's not specifically designed for this one game.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2012, 12:40:56 PM »

16x16 can be too small, but it depends on the resolution. 16x16 character in a 320x240 resolution game over a 32x32 character in a 640x480 game is basically the same (character to screen size-wise). If your character's 16x16, then you'll want a smaller resolution for the game view, and then to scale the screen up to a larger resolution.

yeah, that would also be my answer. depends on the resolution. generally you want your sprite to be about 1/8th to 1/20th of the width and height of the screen.

enthrallstudios
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2012, 12:51:54 PM »

I'm going for a more modern size so I don't really need anything too small. Looks like my character will be 60px tall give or take.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2012, 01:34:16 PM »

every size is acceptable just keep in mind tha the gameplay will be affected deeply by the character sizes

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 02:50:30 PM by moi » Logged

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic