Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:42:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesHeroes in Guitarland [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Heroes in Guitarland [FINISHED]  (Read 23348 times)
gum
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2008, 12:36:40 AM »

Guitar Hero gone lofi.

DOWNLOAD

Edit: I included a font with the download. The game looks absolutely dreadful without it, so please install it first. It's a pretty ok font actually!

Features:

* NES palette, NES sound and NES resolution (and no consideration of any other silly hardware restrictions)
* One song, two difficulties
* Sexy scanlines
* A wild crowd
* Confusion as to the nature of your instrument. Are you playing guitar, synth or strumming vocal cords?

And probably a couple of more features which I don't even know about. Please mail me if you come across one of them and I'll have it removed if I can Wink Address is in the readme.

Edit 2: There was this really obvious bug that sent you to the "You rock!" page even if you failed the song sometimes. It's been taken care of. I'm planning a pretty big post-deadline update with more songs and a more polished presentation. Stay tuned.

Also: this is my first game!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 10:27:56 PM by gum » Logged
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 04:00:34 AM »

Very stylish, and damn nice choice of song.

But there is problem. The song, it is singular. Not plural. Maybe post-demake compo addition?

And a "You Rock!" screen with some of those nice aesthetics you show in the first picture would go down very nicely. As would a menu WITH the picture above it.
gum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 04:18:01 AM »

Thanks for playing!

You're right of course. All of that stuff was added during the deadline night, and there are lots of things that were rushed. I'm amazed I managed to finish anything at all though! I haven't slept for 30 hours or so...

Now that the competition deadline is over I don't know if I'll ever find the inspiration to finish it up for real, but if I do, I'll definitly add more songs. I have tons of songs lying around that could be NESified and used. The problem is just that it was SUCH A PAIN to map the notes into Multimedia Fusion with the method I used. I hand typed all the data into an array, and the point and drag interface of MMF made it extremely slow. I should really look into making some sort of level editor or something... =)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 04:26:03 AM by gum » Logged
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 05:10:26 AM »

Haa! Hooray for Last-Minute-Rush.

You... hand placed each of the notes?  Shocked Wow. Wondered how you did that. Some of those walls of notes are a real bugger to get right.  Smiley

A level editor would be very awesome.

Also, hooray! Your first game. Has Style and a Half. Though a few extra graphical touches would be nice, too.
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 05:24:47 AM »

You had me at NES pallet. I love you.
increpare
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 06:22:24 PM »

Ah.  A very fun game to play.  Maybe would have been easier with home-positions letters instead of numbers, but still enjoyable once I got into the swing of things.  Music was good also!
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 12:56:02 AM »

Very catchy song. Got bad flashbacks to the time I tried a friend's copy of Beatmania for some of the solos. Great job doing a fun, working rhythm game in MMF. Beer!

r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 04:36:57 AM »

That was cool. I kept forgetting what fingers I had on which numbers (cos i suck).

I'd also vote for the home position keys, or even a choice of what keys to use. Well done.
andykd7
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 09:08:58 AM »

I really like your game. I wish you could make more songs for it.

Gang Garrison is Awesome
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 10:00:33 AM »

Congratulations,pretty cool entry

Daniel Benmergui
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 04:30:37 PM »

Very good game!

Congratulations!

Daniel.
Ludomancy
JOOLA
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 07:27:37 AM »

I love it! Good song and really good work for being you first game. Hope it's not you last.
Pap3rBoy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 10:35:45 PM »

Wow, your game is just super fun, if there is a next version, you should definitely make a few more songs than one, it would be awesome! Keep up the good work!
Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 05:43:05 PM »

I loved it! Kinda reminded me of Synaesthete, which I still play from time to time. Kiss

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic