Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411472 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:00:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesSquish [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Squish [FINISHED]  (Read 59125 times)
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2008, 02:08:06 PM »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments Smiley

My only (small) complaint is it seems to lack a sense of advancement.  What I mean to say is, I can be stuck on a really hard puzzle for a while, then the next level turns out to be really easy.  The difficulty skips around rather than ramping up.

Actually, that's sorta what I was going for! I find for me that a lot of puzzle games just get harder and harder until eventually you hit a wall and you don't want to play anymore - so I was trying to keep the difficulty a little uneven so the player wouldn't get demotivated... The idea was that though the game does get harder as you go on, the base difficulty never goes too high. Relatively hard levels are thrown in from time to time throughout the game to keep things interesting, with the easy levels that follow a reward for solving a hard level.

At least, that's what I was trying to do Tongue The second level is harder than the third on average, which wasn't really intended, and there are definitely a few levels out of place thanks to last minute tweaking Sad

This game made my brain hurt. But in a cool way. And I found a glitch, like Benza's: I was falling very fast, and at the same time hit (and went through) some switched-off blocks and the switch that switched them on. So they turned on and I got stuck inside them.

Sorry about that Sad I'll fix it next time I update the game...

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2008, 03:51:14 PM »

Actually, that's sorta what I was going for!

Oh.  In that case, it's perfect Smiley

tweet tweet @j_younger
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2008, 02:51:27 PM »

Sorry to revive this thread; just a quick note to say that I updated Squish today. Same download link as before. Gentleman Here's what's changed:

I created virtually all of the original levels on the last day of the demakes contest and I’ve never been totally happy with some of them - so I decided to recut the arrangement. I’ve created a couple of small, easy levels which bridge together some concepts in the game a bit better, I’ve taken a few levels from the extra “Gates” stage in v1.2 and mixed them in with the original levels, and I’ve totally rearranged the stages. The six levels that I cut from the game have been moved to a custom stage simply called “Rejected Levels”.

Here's a new screeny, for good measure:

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2008, 05:29:01 PM »

I'll check it out when I have some slimmer of time. Grin

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2008, 07:28:12 PM »

The only complaint I have is that it's TOO SHORT! I finished it in like ten minutes. Other than that, it's excellent!
mirosurabu
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2008, 04:19:22 PM »

Game like this needs much more levels. It's great as it is now and I like new levels and puzzles, but just how much better it could be if there was more to play. Smiley
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2008, 12:39:33 PM »

The only complaint I have is that it's TOO SHORT! I finished it in like ten minutes. Other than that, it's excellent!

Game like this needs much more levels. It's great as it is now and I like new levels and puzzles, but just how much better it could be if there was more to play. Smiley

Sorry; I wish it was longer too Smiley

Feel free to try your hand at the level editor!

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic